slight rant, prices...............

Grumpy people only in here please

Moderator: Moderators

Someone-Else

slight rant, prices...............

Post by Someone-Else »

I need some 1inch brass hex nipples. Looked on ebay was just over £7, googled, Amazon £55 Found some plumbing site 2.55 each + £7.00 postage. Screwfix same cost £2.55 (and less postage £10 :shock: ) having them sent to local screwfix = free.

I can't believe the amazon cost is right, but its amazing what you can get from screwfix (if you order it :-P )
Above are my opinions Below is my signature.

Would you hit a nail with a shoe because you don't have a hammer? of course not, then why work on anything electrical without a means of testing Click Here to buy a "tester" just because it works, does NOT mean it is safe.

:mrgreen: If gloom had a voice, it would be me.

:idea1: Click Here for a video how to add/change pictures

Inept people use the QUOTE BUTTON instead of the QUICK REPLY section :-)
arco_iris

Re: slight rant, prices...............

Post by arco_iris »

someone-else wrote:I can't believe the amazon cost is right
If you click on the Amazon seller, you'll find that they are the only one, and they are in California. There are £7 ones if you searched for 1" instead of "one inch", and dropped the "hex".

But it does happen, on a-z and on fleabay, that a seller with no stock, instead of saying 'no stock' and not appearing at all, bumps the price up to £999 which keeps their advertisement live even though they make no sales.

Could you not have got them from a local plumbers' merchant over the counter? Wolseley Plumbcenter, City Plumbing, etc.?
jaeger

Post by jaeger »

Are the tool station ones different to what you want? £2.08

https://tinyurl.com/y3rrgeus
Someone-Else

Post by Someone-Else »

Screwfix is closer to me than tool station.
Above are my opinions Below is my signature.

Would you hit a nail with a shoe because you don't have a hammer? of course not, then why work on anything electrical without a means of testing Click Here to buy a "tester" just because it works, does NOT mean it is safe.

:mrgreen: If gloom had a voice, it would be me.

:idea1: Click Here for a video how to add/change pictures

Inept people use the QUOTE BUTTON instead of the QUICK REPLY section :-)
etaf

Post by etaf »

i have often seen amazon items sometimes really silly prices and showing in stock, often over £100 difference, noticed a lot when searching for various tools, dewalt cordless saw this issue
dewaltdisney

Post by dewaltdisney »

You get a lot of upsellers online. They will find a supplier then advertise it on Amazon or the like with a hefty premium. If you buy from them they in turn buy from their supplier with delivery on to you and they pocket the difference. I bought a new laptop charger and when I checked a high ranking site they were about £15 different in price to buying from Amazon direct. It was useful as it gave me the charger number I used for my search though.

You really have to check things out. The easiest to find are usually the most expensive.

DWD

Return to “The Grumpy corner”