Stubborn glue

Painting and decorating, plaster mouldings, Artexing questions

Moderator: Moderators

4bs
Newly registered Member
Been thanked: 0

Stubborn glue

Post by 4bs »

Have just stripped wallpaper, well, painted lining paper actually, from my hallway using a stemer and scraper.. all well and good.
However, quite a lot of what I presume to be glue has been left on the wall. What is the best way of removing this.
I tried heat gun, because at first it had the appearance of paint, but this had little or no effect.

Don't want to use steamer again in case of damaging plaster.. it's quite old!..

Cheers.
toolbox

Re: Stubborn glue

Post by toolbox »

Never had to use it myself but this gets very good reports, so worth a try.

https://www.screwfix.com/p/zinsser-dif- ... lsrc=aw.ds

I would wash down the walls with sugar soap rinse and sand with a fairly coarse paper, but the dif would be well worth a go first.
4bs
Newly registered Member
Been thanked: 0

Post by 4bs »

Cheers, but trying to avoid nasty stuff as much as possible... did get suggested to use fabric conditioner.. anyone tried that?
toolbox

Post by toolbox »

4bs wrote:Cheers, but trying to avoid nasty stuff as much as possible... did get suggested to use fabric conditioner.. anyone tried that?
No but I would suspect it will leave a water repellent film that might cause problems with repainting. That's why they advise against using it on microfibre cloths and towels they feel nice but soak up less water.
These users thanked the author toolbox for the post:
4bs
Rating: 7.14%
OchAye

Post by OchAye »

Bucket x2, warm water, large sponge x2, scraper, scotch-brite, elbow grease xlots.
Use sugar soap esp. if you intend to paint the walls or anything you like in bucket 1 with warm water. Bucket 2 just clean warm water for rinsing.

Get the wall dripping wet (leave and repeat) until the paste is activated. Whilst you remove the paste from one patch get the next patch wet.

Return to “Painting & Decorating Forum”