Labels

Grumpy people only in here please

Moderator: Moderators

kellys_eye

Labels

Post by kellys_eye »

What is it with people these days? Everyone seems to want to have a label attached to them.

Gay, trans, Vegan, Gluten free - you name it, someone wants to be identified by it.

Reason for the whinge? Bloody customers.

I now sell curries and the increasing number of people coming in asking 'is it gluten free', 'does it have any nuts in it', 'is it dairy-free', 'do you use cooking oil' and, just the other day 'do you do 'nightshade free' meals' :dunno:

It was bad enough when the welly-brigade came in announcing to all-and-sundry " I'm a vegan....." (as bad as those that feel obliged to tell you "I have an iPhone"..... big effing deal) but just the other night I saw a TV article where some restaurant owners were JAILED for serving a meal that had nuts in it to someone with a severe allergy (who sadly dies as a result).

What nutcase, with an allergy so severe that it could be life threatening, orders food from somewhere they have no intimate knowledge of? I'd be too sh1t scared to eat anything I didn't prepare myself let alone have some non-reflective cousin take my life into their hands. WTF?

I'm almost tempted to do a Gordon Ramsey on customers that ask (or state) such requirements "we're a restaurant, not a f****g doctors surgery" - but I'm far too polite to be so straightforward!

Anyway, in light of the jail sentence passed down, I can see take-away's now refusing to serve food to anyone with ANY allergy whatsoever OR they should (as I'm tempted to do) demand a 'service fee' for dealing with the kitchen uproar that catering to such minority needs requires - cleaning down, fresh tools, etc - basically the extra time needed to make their food 'safe'. Call it an extra £75. Per meal.

Nightshade free - I know you're asking! Apparently no peppers, no tomatoes. ::b

Reminds me of the time I was being arsey in a hotel breakfast restaurant:

Me - Full English breakfast please....... no tomatoes, no black pudding, no bacon, no sausage, no beans, no hash brown.
Waitress - How would you like your eggs?
Me - Boiled.
Don't take it personally......
dewaltdisney

Re: Labels

Post by dewaltdisney »

It is all big news at the moment with a couple of unfortunate deaths caused by allergic reactions. I think that the hysteria that follows these sort of events bring out snowflakes wanting to put themselves in danger and chasing different foods to test the system. I think that if you put a sign up ' if you have any allergy or sensitivity please do not attempt to eat this food as it might contain something that might harm you. Any doubts, f*ck off' Something sensitive like that :lol:

DWD
kellys_eye

Post by kellys_eye »

One step ahead of you on that one DWD - we actually DO state that we use ingredients that are considered allergens (on the premises) and that we cannot GUARANTEE products are entirely free from them.

I haven't (quite) got to the 'now f**k off' part yet - close though :lol:

What do you do when someone asks for a curry that has no onions, no peppers and no tomatoes 'please'? I was tempted to give them a raw chicken breast and say 'DIY you d*ck'.
Dave54

Post by Dave54 »

I thought that you had to list some ingredients? Read something somewhere.
Bob225

Post by Bob225 »

Don't forget the Otherkin
What do you do when someone asks for a curry that has no onions, no peppers and no tomatoes 'please'?
I think that's called "KFC"

Edit. don't you do buttered chicken then
kellys_eye

Post by kellys_eye »

Dave54 wrote:I thought that you had to list some ingredients? Read something somewhere.
All our meals are ingredient-listed with allergens highlighted in bold.

I'm just amazed (perplexed) at how many people 'claim' to have eating/food issues though. Where have all the normal people gone? I still reckon there are those that make claims for 'allergy' when there's no real evidence - just so they can claim the label....
big-all
Pro Carpenter

Post by big-all »

a lot off the things like "gluten free" is bad news
if you are intolerant its crutial to know
if you are ok then its bad news as the gluten will be replace with fat sugar other ingredients that are often less healthy and you are charged between a bit more and perhaps double the price
there are so many companies and people often it seems without scruples and morals that will sell you a false reality making you think its possibly a good healthy option when in fact for most its at best no different at worst an expensive option with more downsides than good
we are all ------------------still learning
wine~o

Post by wine~o »

kellys_eye wrote:
I now sell curries and the increasing number of people coming in asking 'is it gluten free', 'does it have any nuts in it', 'is it dairy-free', 'do you use cooking oil' and, just the other day 'do you do 'nightshade free' meals' :dunno:
hands. WTF?

Nightshade free - I know you're asking! Apparently no peppers, no tomatoes. ::b
Whilst I know what you mean about people wanting "labels" I can see things from the other side of the fence.
At about 40 years of age I suddenly developed a severe peanut allergy, then about a year and a half ago I was diagnosed with a wheat allergy.

Now the wheat allergy just means that if I consume wheat (even a tiny amount) I'm likely to spend the next week or two on the loo making explosions for the best part of the day. A tiny amount of peanut could see me in anaphylactic shock ... and trust me that's not a nice experience.

As I'm sure you are aware there is a list of allergens which should be declared either on the packaging (if sold off site) or should be declared if asked when sold on the site where prepared.

On the rare occasions that I do eat out I have found that the level of allergen information provided varies wildly, some years ago for one example I was out with the Mrs. and looking for a fish and chip lunch, asked the waitress about the peanut allergy and she said "no we don't use peanuts in the kitchen"

I then asked about the cooking oil, she wasn't sure so went off to check (as I insisted) she came back with the reply "we use groundnut oil"... ::b ::b ::b

As for that Gordon Ramsay t*at, he obviously has no idea what he's putting into his food...

The other one where the Indian restaurant owner was jailed ... they were asked for a nut /peanut free meal and served a meal containing peanut protein resulting in the death of a 15 year old girl. They were quite rightly prosecuted for manslaughter by gross negligence. (apparently trading standards had previously warned them about similar though non-fatal incidents, and they still carried on gambling with peoples lives)

I would much rather not have a "label" of "peanut allergy/wheat allergy" as it would make my life sooooooo much easier regards travel/eating out.
Verwood Handyman

If you feel you have benefited from the Free advice given on the Forum, Please consider making a donation to UHM's Nominated charity, read all about it and donate here :

http://www.donnasdreamhouse.co.uk
kellys_eye

Post by kellys_eye »

Can't be nice having any form of severe allergy Wine~o but if your own allergy was potentially fatal would you trust ANY restaurant to be 100% accurate with their food preparation or would you only trust your own hand?

I know I wouldn't risk eating 'out' let alone at some more-than-risky premises run by 'foreigners'.

I saw an article in Tyneside where they tested 10 take-aways (all Indian foods) by ordering 'nut-free' meals and testing them for peanut content. They ALL failed to some extent or other and one failed to the extent that it would have killed someone with a severe allergy - and this was food ordered with specific instructions for NO PEANUT content! :shock:

Nah..... simply not worth it and whilst I sympathise with the poor girl that died from such 'poisoning' I question her intelligence in even daring to use such food sources..... :roll: Madness.
wine~o

Post by wine~o »

"Some" food outlets are better than others, even Indian/Chinese... I have 2 nearish to me that both have staff / chefs that I trust.

My last peanut reaction was from an "English" establishment, asked the (all English) staff about the daily specials, all bought in so couldn't say whether or not contained peanuts.

Eventually settled for a cheese toastie having read the bread ingredients myself (nuts can sometimes be ground in the same place as wheat) No dressing on the side salad as that could contain peanut.

Toastie served with a little coleslaw, neither I nor the staff thought to check... Bad move. Luckily my reaction was quite mild and treated
with antihistamines. Only when I phoned the next day to let them know did they check. They found the tag "may contain peanuts" on the packaging.
Verwood Handyman

If you feel you have benefited from the Free advice given on the Forum, Please consider making a donation to UHM's Nominated charity, read all about it and donate here :

http://www.donnasdreamhouse.co.uk

Return to “The Grumpy corner”