Opera browser

All your computer hardware and software questions in here please.

Moderator: Moderators

dewaltdisney

Opera browser

Post by dewaltdisney »

Can anyone advise me if this is worth having or not. I was told that it has a VPN whatever that is?

Any guidance appreciated.

Thanks

DWD
Ktuludays

Re: Opera browser

Post by Ktuludays »

I use chrome so couldn't comment if opera is any good.

A vpn is a virtual private network and is used when you want to avoid your online actions being tracked. Used a lot in torrent sharing sites to prevent detection of illegal downloading.

Sent from my HUAWEI VNS-L31 using Tapatalk
These users thanked the author Ktuludays for the post:
dewaltdisney
Rating: 7.14%
If the lessons of history teach us anything it is that nobody learns the lessons that history teaches us.
kellys_eye

Post by kellys_eye »

Opera is fast - that's my impression of it anyway. MUCH faster than Firefox but I don't use any other versions of browser so can't make any other comparison.

VPN is Virtual Private Network and allows you to browse the web entirely anonymously as they intercept your own IP address and prevent others 'seeing' it. It's usually a function that you have to pay for and if you don't have a fast connection anyway, may introduce further delays in operation.
These users thanked the author kellys_eye for the post:
dewaltdisney
Don't take it personally......
yartin

Post by yartin »

I use both chrome and opera, they are both excellent and similar performances.

I think VPN is for security and anonymity where you surf. Norton is sufficient for me. Opera has vpn but chrome also has free vpn extension to download. Most if not all vpns slows down the broadband. The idea of vpn is to hide your ip address, assign you with a different ip address but have read vpn leaks ip addresses, whatever it means. The best vpn is the one made in house, I believe you need a dedicated computer to do it and no idea how it works or where to start.
These users thanked the author yartin for the post:
dewaltdisney
dewaltdisney

Post by dewaltdisney »

Thanks chaps. Is a VPN the same as private browsing in Firefox?

DWD
Ktuludays

Post by Ktuludays »

dewaltdisney wrote:Thanks chaps. Is a VPN the same as private browsing in Firefox?

DWD
No it's not as your bb provider can still see what you are visiting, private browsing prevents your family seeing what you've been looking at.

Sent from my HUAWEI VNS-L31 using Tapatalk
These users thanked the author Ktuludays for the post:
dewaltdisney
If the lessons of history teach us anything it is that nobody learns the lessons that history teaches us.
dewaltdisney

Post by dewaltdisney »

Thanks for that. It is not that I am visiting any sites that are dodgy, the guy that told me about Opera said that it was better protection as everywhere you go on the web you get tracked. I have anti tracking switched on in Windows or Firefox? Is this enough. Do I need to worry about this?

Cheers

DWD
kellys_eye

Post by kellys_eye »

With any 'normal' internet site visit from your own PC, your IP address (identity) is passed between yourself and the recipient (so it knows where to send the reply).

The VPN service is an intermediary - they take your site request and resend it using their own IP details (not yours) and return the reply the same way so that your IP address is never disclosed to the destination. Of course, using such methods, you can't be tracked by the site and inundated with adverts etc - you are effectively anonymous. Only 'effectively' though as the VNP service provider knows who you are and where you've been and you've only got their word for the fact they won't pass on such details should they be requested by the authorities.

Some VNP sites say they operate ENTIRELY anonymously and don't record even YOUR IP address so they are truly secure - but...... :dunno:

As I said before though, the intermediary aspect of a VPN service introduces delays in response so these services are not much good for on-line gaming but perfectly ok for email and single-handed surfing purposes........ so I'm told :mrgreen: :lol:
These users thanked the author kellys_eye for the post:
dewaltdisney
Don't take it personally......
yartin

Post by yartin »

dewaltdisney wrote:Thanks for that. It is not that I am visiting any sites that are dodgy, the guy that told me about Opera said that it was better protection as everywhere you go on the web you get tracked. I have anti tracking switched on in Windows or Firefox? Is this enough. Do I need to worry about this?

Cheers

DWD
For online security like banking, shopping ...etc you need fire wall and anti virus and to update daily/weekly. These are a must and sufficient. Most popular ones are Norton Security ,Mcafee and AVG. There is annual subscription fee of £25 to £50.

VPN is like it will change your address so no one can tell where you are and you can even set to be in another country. This is assuming the VPN app does what is says on the tin. As said before, this will slow your broadband speed to sometimes fraction what is supposed to be.

I believe there is a useful application, I think if you are abroad then you can't get full features of the BBC website like the iplayer so a VPN app will fool the BBC as if you are in UK. I haven't tried but heard something like that.
These users thanked the author yartin for the post:
dewaltdisney
dewaltdisney

Post by dewaltdisney »

Okay, thanks. It sounds like my AVG and Malware are sufficient as I am not doing anything out of the ordinary. I will leave things be.

DWD

Return to “Computers”