Why are tools stolen?

Grumpy people only in here please

Moderator: Moderators

kellys_eye

Re: Why are tools stolen?

Post by kellys_eye »

Rorschach wrote:Hanging never worked, punishment doesn't work in general.
Eh?.... I thought there was never any repeat offenders.....

Even the Police say that 90% of crimes are caused by the same 10% of people. Simple fact is that you take those people OUT of society and crime reduces by 90%.

I even recall local news reporting on the noted drop in crime (in the Blyth area) when - coincidentally - the TWO main causes of it were behind bars at the same time.........

Maybe not hanging.... but locking them up and NOT allowing parole is one way forward.
Don't take it personally......
steviejoiner74

Post by steviejoiner74 »

If nobody bought stolen goods then it’d almost eradicate folk thriving them...
People that buy stolen tools are as bad as the thieves themselves in my book.
These users thanked the author steviejoiner74 for the post:
Grendel
Rating: 7.14%
Carpentry,I can explain it to you but I cannot understand it for you.
kellys_eye

Post by kellys_eye »

I like to buy tools at boot sales but how would you tell?

If all owners post-marked their tools you'd at least have a fighting chance of finding out about them and any boot sale stall with a gazillion different post-coded tools would certainly be one to walk past...... I don't think we, as owners, do enough even SIMPLE things to help ourselves.

Come on, own up, do you (and I mean anyone reading this thread) actually mark your tools in any way to deter theft? I don't :oops:
kellys_eye

Post by kellys_eye »

Reminds me - Mrs k_e thought someone had a shot at nicking our giant garden brolly thing (outside our shop) so I told her to 'mark it'.

Instead of writing 'Black Rock Curries' discretely along the edge of the red envelope she wrote it in two foot high letters, badly, wonkily and spelled it wrong anyway..... ::b Ruined it......

Now I wish someone WOULD steal it :lol:
Someone-Else

Post by Someone-Else »

:ttiuwop:
Above are my opinions Below is my signature.

Would you hit a nail with a shoe because you don't have a hammer? of course not, then why work on anything electrical without a means of testing Click Here to buy a "tester" just because it works, does NOT mean it is safe.

:mrgreen: If gloom had a voice, it would be me.

:idea1: Click Here for a video how to add/change pictures

Inept people use the QUOTE BUTTON instead of the QUICK REPLY section :-)
Rorschach

Post by Rorschach »

Marking only works if the people buying care about that kind of thing. You can always sand it smooth or grind it off. Also what about legitimate sales? I have bought marked tools that are not stolen and have sold marked tools as well.
Someone-Else

Post by Someone-Else »

steviejoiner74 wrote:People that buy stolen tools are as bad as the thieves themselves in my book.
That is true, but if you look at the big picture, it always has happened and always will.
Example.

Bloke wants to start a "handyperson for hire" job, but he has no tools and "no money" one day at a car boot sale he sees some tools and pays not a lot for them. What he doesn't know is they are stolen, does that make him as bad as the "insert adjective here" who stole them? really? does it? Why should he not believe that the same post code on the tools is real, but the owner had an industrial accident and can no longer use them.
Above are my opinions Below is my signature.

Would you hit a nail with a shoe because you don't have a hammer? of course not, then why work on anything electrical without a means of testing Click Here to buy a "tester" just because it works, does NOT mean it is safe.

:mrgreen: If gloom had a voice, it would be me.

:idea1: Click Here for a video how to add/change pictures

Inept people use the QUOTE BUTTON instead of the QUICK REPLY section :-)
fin

Post by fin »

kellys_eye wrote:
Rorschach wrote:

I even recall local news reporting on the noted drop in crime (in the Blyth area) when - coincidentally - the TWO main causes of it were behind bars at the same time.........
haha and probably the crime at any point on the spine road too. dodgy blyth tw*ts.
Argyll

Post by Argyll »

I visited an auction place in Falkirk a few years ago. I asked the guy where all the stuff came from and he got a bit uppity about it. When I explained I didn't want to be buying tools that might have been stolen from some poor f*ck van he asked me to leave :scratch:

I clearly hit a nerve.
wine~o

Post by wine~o »

Going right back to the original idea. Won't work. As soon as that tech becomes widespread then someone somewhere will find and
market an override... In the same way that the Scrotes can gain entry to, and drive away keyless cars with a "signal booster" held near the house with the car parked on the drive
Verwood Handyman

If you feel you have benefited from the Free advice given on the Forum, Please consider making a donation to UHM's Nominated charity, read all about it and donate here :

http://www.donnasdreamhouse.co.uk
Argyll

Post by Argyll »

wine~o wrote:Going right back to the original idea. Won't work. As soon as that tech becomes widespread then someone somewhere will find and
market an override... In the same way that the Scrotes can gain entry to, and drive away keyless cars with a "signal booster" held near the house with the car parked on the drive
Same with stolen phones now. They ship them abroad and change the IMEI number.

Technology is great at the time but it doesn't take long to suss out a work around. The police are now advising car owners to invest in steering wheel locks as they can over ride immobilisers. If you recall they said in the 90's immobilisers superseded steering wheel locks :scratch:
kellys_eye

Post by kellys_eye »

Maybe, one day, we'll have tools 'keyed' to the individuals DNA in that it won't work unless it's being held by the right person. District 9 type stuff....
Dave54

Post by Dave54 »

kellys_eye wrote:Maybe, one day, we'll have tools 'keyed' to the individuals DNA in that it won't work unless it's being held by the right person. District 9 type stuff....
And even then the light fingered brigade would find a way around it.
Either by a software hack, or just by replacing the clever bit with a relay of some sort.
Grendel

Post by Grendel »

steviejoiner74 wrote:If nobody bought stolen goods then it’d almost eradicate folk thriving them...
Agree with this more than anything else.
I may have mentioned that I re-enact and thieft is virtually unknown. It's possible to walk through a camp after the event has closed on the first day and see tens of thousands of pounds worth of kit just lying around unattended but safe in the knowledge that it won't grow legs. Re-enactors won't buy stuff off a "bloke down the pub" , we only buy from traders or other re-enactors .
If people were to stop buying second hand tools from car boots and other anonymous sources it would go a good way to reducing the crime in the first place.
Argyll

Post by Argyll »

Grendel wrote:
steviejoiner74 wrote:If nobody bought stolen goods then it’d almost eradicate folk thriving them...
Agree with this more than anything else.
I may have mentioned that I re-enact and thieft is virtually unknown. It's possible to walk through a camp after the event has closed on the first day and see tens of thousands of pounds worth of kit just lying around unattended but safe in the knowledge that it won't grow legs. Re-enactors won't buy stuff off a "bloke down the pub" , we only buy from traders or other re-enactors .
If people were to stop buying second hand tools from car boots and other anonymous sources it would go a good way to reducing the crime in the first place.

I agree with this but sometimes it's difficult to identify if they are actually stolen.

I bought a Sky box for my dads bedroom a few years ago. I asked the guy what his address was but he said he'd be in my area a few hours later and I could meet him outside a pub. The warning signals were there and I politely declined as I thought he clearly didn't want me to find out where he lived and the Sky box had been burgled.

Some people though wouldn't think about this or care.

Return to “The Grumpy corner”