Credit where it's due for DIY-kitchens (first hand review)

Questions about fitting kitchens in here please

Moderator: Moderators

Rorschach

Credit where it's due for DIY-kitchens (first hand review)

Post by Rorschach »

Sister has recently bought a new kitchen. I helped with the planning and various other bits but didn't do the fitting.

We tried DIY-Kitchens as I have seen them mentioned here. They had the exact style she wanted and it was in budget. The online ordering system was straightforward with lots of info there to help with the layout and measuring etc.
Price was excellent, not much more than buying from some of the other local places like B&Q and cheaper than Howdens.

The kitchen arrived on time, things were 99% correct, and the small faults were corrected quickly. My sis was the one dealing with them over the phone and said they were very helpful and friendly, most importantly patient and explained things in laymans terms.
Delivery guys were great, the units themselves were very well labelled and packaged. The units were also supplied with touch up paint for future use, oh and a box of Yorkshire tea and jammy dodgers :lol:
Any visible damage to packaging was noted but in the end after inspection the only damage we found was to one end of the cornice moulding, in reality not really an issue but the company still were happy to send out a replacement piece by courier (plenty spare now lol). If I recall you had 7 days to submit any damage claims.

The fitters who actually did the install had never used this company before, they almost always use Howdens. Their comment was that the quality of the units was as good if not better than the Howdens units they usually fit and the price was almost half the cost of an equivalent kitchen.
The only drawback they said was that if anything went wrong, they couldn't just drive to Howdens for a replacement part the same day. Something to consider but for the price difference it was a no-brainer.

So yeah for anyone looking for a kitchen, they are worth looking at. Next time I do a kitchen that's where I will be going for certain.
wine~o

Re: Credit where it's due for DIY-kitchens (first hand revie

Post by wine~o »

Thanks for the review. I think it was Colour republic that first mentioned them on this site.

Shame he doesn't post anymore .
Verwood Handyman

If you feel you have benefited from the Free advice given on the Forum, Please consider making a donation to UHM's Nominated charity, read all about it and donate here :

http://www.donnasdreamhouse.co.uk
Bill Darr

Post by Bill Darr »

I fit loads of Howdens kitchens, not bad in all honesty but I chose a DIY kitchen for my own house recently, better quality and better made in my opinion.
Chippo1

Post by Chippo1 »

Not 100% convinced yet mid way through fitting mine so won’t say to much yet !

But I should say I am doing some unconventional bits and bobs like dishwasher and washing machine raised to allow easy access without bending , wife has a back problem. This has involved considerable cabinet modifications to make things fit.
Puma

Post by Puma »

Yep I have to agree with that. The handleless fronts they have are in a slightly thicker wood which make them much nicer to use than Howdens.

I will say though that their 4 drawer units don't effing line up with the tops of the cupboards. So I asked for them to be adjusted. They were very good about it but sent some poor bugger down from Yorkshire to fix it (felt well guilty about asking at that stage). He said they never bloomin do - he has been working for them for over a decade and they are always this way. Crazy. Hey ho. But aside from that and crazy delivery times all good.
Rorschach

Post by Rorschach »

Little update after my sister has lived with the kitchen for a while. Very happy with the overall quality and looks, seems easy to clean and maintain so far too.

Only problem to date is the runner for the in cupboard waste bins. The frame inside was installed at a very slight angle so unless the cupboard was fully open it bumped on the way out. Because it is only a slight discrepancy it would be difficult to re-drill the holes to move it.

My solution which appears to be working well so far was put a screw in one side to pull the frame over slightly and tap a small plastic wedge in the opposite side to push it over. Bins now slide out without hitting the door and mechanism seems unaffected. Hopefully it will last. If not I will remove the whole thing, fill the old holes and drill new ones.
These users thanked the author Rorschach for the post:
Puma
Rating: 7.14%
dandan

Post by dandan »

I can second that that, I fitted mine 4 or 5 years ago after lots of advice on here and it still looks as good as new.

I had to get a replacement corner post/panel end about a year ago after some water damage when our dishwasher door burst open mid cycle and flooded the floor and DIY couldn't have been more helpful. I was worried that they might not have made the range anymore or had stock but it was fine.
Chippo1

Post by Chippo1 »

I have just about finished my kitchen now.

Generally ok quality wise although a few issues with hinge positions and running out of adjustment ! Did solve the problem in the end.

The bespoke paint finish is good although easy to chip, got two chips but touching them in with the supplied touch up using a number of coats has worked and then knocking the paint back with wet n dry cant find the chips now.

Noticed there are some variations in the haresses on the doors , some being sharper and more defined that others.

We used white carcasses with blackened J profile doors , some of the gaps look a bit big especially on tall units with two doors although I do need to have another go around and some final door adjustment, also improved the look by just a smear of silicone in the joints that show between doors.

Thought the number of shelves supplied was a bit mean , had to order some extras and we had a few shelf supports missing.

Had several doors missing from the order due to damage in production , had to chase diy up for these then the courier damaged one again.

We did some rather odd things with our kitchen DIY were not able to help with a couple of bits for this including a non standard door, but I was able to cut one and also use the damaged door to solve the problem.

Would post a picture but dammed if I can resize for this ! I am on instagram, #chipoo60 lots of pics there

So all in all not to bad, I thought pretty much on a par with Howdons , maybe the painted doors just a bit better finish that Howdens foil type and obviously a large range of colours.
Bill Darr

Post by Bill Darr »

Chippo1 wrote:I have just about finished my kitchen now.

Generally ok quality wise although a few issues with hinge positions and running out of adjustment !

some of the gaps look a bit big especially on tall units with two doors
I have now fitted three from DIY and had that same problem on all three, the hinge plates are just too far apart to get the doors closing nicely, they all looked a bit 'gappy' between upper and lower doors. Even when going to the limit of adjustment the gap was still about 6mm - far too big in my opinion.

Might not bother with pre-fitted doors on the next one and drill and fit them on site myself. The quality of the high gloss doors was definitely better then the Howdens kitchen I fitted two months ago for somebody.
Chippo1

Post by Chippo1 »

Bill , I agree with you pretty much

Return to “Kitchen Fitting”