An Integrated Dishwasher, not under counter?

Questions about fitting kitchens in here please

Moderator: Moderators

ktz
Newly registered Member
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

An Integrated Dishwasher, not under counter?

Post by ktz »

Hi, Im new, reaching out with a question that has me stumped.

I've got to install an integrated dishwasher (60cm) into a kitchen with very limited space. There's a 60cm (just) between worktop and a wall which a freestanding fridge is currently in there is no worktop above this fridge and this space is where the dishwasher has to go (it's the only place it can be).

Wondering if anyone has any ideas on how one might be able to install the dishwasher, but then stack an integrated fridge above it?
I saw the image below of a Gaggenau dishwasher installed in what looks like its inside a carcase unit and not on the ground. Image

Would you assume this is still a void, but with a custom 60cm box above and below and that the box above is suspended above the dishwasher, fixed to the other base units on the sides?

In my case, the dishwasher needs to be on the floor, so I'm looking for ideas on how I might be able to still use the space above for a small integrated fridge? given that one side of the space above is open. Build a box above the dishwasher and fix it to the ceiling and back wall?

Current:

Proposed?
Chippo1

Re: An Integrated Dishwasher, not under counter?

Post by Chippo1 »

I am about to fit a washing machine and a dishwasher at high level due to wife’s bad back.

Washing machine is tricky due to weight and vibration and of course the depth of a standard machine I have this covered and have previously fitted a washing machine at high level albeit not in a cupboard.

Dishwasher is fairly straight forward other than you need a nom 600 wide clear space and the right doors, I am fitting a pan draw below.

Lots of photos on pininterest of just such solutions.
Bob225

Post by Bob225 »

you can get different types of integrated dish washer. a standard type with is own door, ones with what the cabinet door attaches to but the controls are visible or there's the totally concealed type (looks like another cabinet)

the world is your lobster

a standard appliance cabinet will fit the bill - the diy chains tend to list them as a tall larder end panels and you have to buy the appliance shelf pack on top to make it up
arco_iris

Post by arco_iris »

Whilst anything is possible, especially if you strengthen the carcase to take the additional weight, the issue that you should consider is that an integrated fridge generally has a door opening that is 150mm off the floor and inside, the salad box is set down below.

So to put it at waist height, you will have to reach over and down into the bottom. Not as straight-forward as, say, thinking of a 50/50 fridge freezer, where you open straight into the fridge part. Then you'll need a panel or drawer front to go where the plinth would normally be.
Job and Knock
Old School Chippie

Post by Job and Knock »

ktz wrote:Wondering if anyone has any ideas on how one might be able to install the dishwasher, but then stack an integrated fridge above it?
We actually did something like this on a job last year (times three as it happens - due, I think, to mis-specification by the architects' office) - dishwasher at the bottom, fridge above it. The dishwasher required the bottom of the tall carcase to be cut away completely to accommodate it, so we fixed extra 200mm wide bracing battens top and bottom (or rather the new bottom position) across the back of the carcases, cut away the lower portions of the carcases and then screwed the old MFC bottoms back into the carcases. In effect we built shorter carcases with extra cross battening inside. For extra rigidity we also screwed through the top and bottom panels into these extra braces. Temporary 2 x 1in softwood battens were then levelled and fixed to the side of the tall cabinet on one side and to the decor panel remaining on the other side and the modified carcass was slid into position and fixed through the sides into the adjoining cabinet and the decor panel. Once fixed the temporary battens were removed. Not elegant, and forced on us at the last minute because it proved impossible to obtain appropriate concealed dishwashers in the time we had available to hand-off the building, however it did work.

In your case I think I'd consider building/modifying a new full depth cabinet and mounting it onto inverted L-brackets fixed to the sides of the lower cabinets. It might be possible to get a couple of the long brackets they use to install integrated ovens and invert those:
Built-in Oven Brackets 001_01.jpg
Built-in Oven Brackets 001_01.jpg (43.4 KiB) Viewed 4979 times
Although I'd also want to bracket and fix securely to the back wall as well
"The person who never made a mistake, never made anything" - Albert Einstein

"I too will something make, And joy in the making" - Robert Bridges, 1844~1930

"The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.” - Bertrand Russell from The Triumph of Stupidity", 1933
Chippo1

Post by Chippo1 »

2A365608-C222-4D3A-AE58-40AF4424A23F.jpeg
2A365608-C222-4D3A-AE58-40AF4424A23F.jpeg (289.9 KiB) Viewed 4611 times
:welcome:
This was my solution

Return to “Kitchen Fitting”