i dont use my mobile phone much buuuuutttt-

Please use this forum for all DIY posts that do not fit into a specific category.

Moderator: Moderators

big-all
Pro Carpenter

i dont use my mobile phone much buuuuutttt-

Post by big-all »

have been a bit paranoid about roaming charges taking me over my monthly limit so turn it off at home as i don't actually understand mb/kb/gb and thought i might go over my usage limit :lol:
i am at home 95%+ off the time so internet connected all the time :lol:
all i ever do is check bbc weather and send watsapp messages no searches or other uses but all phone calls via the mobile phone
son moved out xmass so only me as a 95% retired joiner but still worried in case i go over
first month no problem so last month turned on the data roaming perminantly
any way bit the bullet i now turn off the internet when i go to bed and turn it on when i get up so the phone will use data roaming overnight and it used 1400 over the month :roll: :cb
well my mistake it was 14 off my 500 thingy allowance :lol:
we are all ------------------still learning
Someone-Else

Re: i dont use my mobile phone much buuuuutttt-

Post by Someone-Else »

If you turn your phones wi-fi on, (and sign in) the phone will use your home internet connection and you will not use any "thingies" at all, unless you go out.
Above are my opinions Below is my signature.

Would you hit a nail with a shoe because you don't have a hammer? of course not, then why work on anything electrical without a means of testing Click Here to buy a "tester" just because it works, does NOT mean it is safe.

:mrgreen: If gloom had a voice, it would be me.

:idea1: Click Here for a video how to add/change pictures

Inept people use the QUOTE BUTTON instead of the QUICK REPLY section :-)
London mike 61

Post by London mike 61 »

Hi BA
I’ve just got my oap smart phone ( Doro 8035 ) and like you I’m just on a learning curve on how to use it. To be fair , it’s not too bad as I’ve got a Tesco mobile contract that gives me enough calls, text and data that like you , I’m unlikely to use all of it.
I don’t look at the thing every minute of the day like the young ones but it’s nice to get news updates etc , all I’ve got to do now is work out how to change some settings......... :dunno:
If it ain't broke, don't fix it!!
dewaltdisney

Post by dewaltdisney »

On my contract I have only 250mb of data. This is good enough for maps and a few searches if needed on the move, away from Wi-fi connections. The thing that eats up data is YouTube type videos and downloading pictures. If I exceed my data limit, it happened once, it just locks further internet until the next month starts. Ensure that you set up network connections at places you visit regularly so it connects automatically. I have my son's, my sister and my mum's that connect when I visit.

I only turn off roaming if I am abroad as that can be expensive. Again you can pick up free Wi-fi in bars, cafes' and hotels if needed.

So, as said, connect to your broadband and you will be fine at home.

DWD
kellys_eye

Post by kellys_eye »

Mrs k_e keeps finding her phone downloading updates and eating up all her allowance :angryfire: Seems to do this at least once a day too. But where we live there is only an intermittent signal anyway so the phone is mostly off.

We went to town last week and separated to do some shopping. She sent me a text to let me know where she was headed and it came through to my phone 23 time - yes, that's TWENTY THREE times. We still don't know whether she was charged for each of them either :roll:
Don't take it personally......
big-all
Pro Carpenter

Post by big-all »

London mike 61 wrote:Hi BA
I’ve just got my oap smart phone ( Doro 8035 ) and like you I’m just on a learning curve on how to use it. To be fair , it’s not too bad as I’ve got a Tesco mobile contract that gives me enough calls, text and data that like you , I’m unlikely to use all of it.
I don’t look at the thing every minute of the day like the young ones but it’s nice to get news updates etc , all I’ve got to do now is work out how to change some settings......... :dunno:
ha ha thats another story :lol:
i have such big fingers i frequently alter settings by mistake :lol:
OchAye

Post by OchAye »

Big-all, you can turn data off on the phone so it will not download anything. If you have wifi on then it will download when it connects via wifi. It should really connect to wifi whenever possible otherwise (not sure of the detail) it will eventually download its updates using mobile data.

If you are out and about and you need to search for something, read email (if you set your phone for email) use maps that would be the time to switch data on again.

Leave roaming out of it ... the term does not apply whilst your phone is in the UK.
Bob225

Post by Bob225 »

if its a smart phone there is a setting to set updates over wifi only

what make and model is it ?
jaeger

Post by jaeger »

Have you checked if your home internet provider supports free WiFi
Hotspots, BT, Virgin,Sky have them, I'm with BT and connect to
hot spot automatically in many shops and just walking about
as many home hubs are hotspots, my phone provider Virgin
has them too, like on the underground, hospitals and pubs use
sky.
big-all
Pro Carpenter

Post by big-all »

its a 4 year old samsung galaxy ---i think :lol:
ahh seems to be a gt-s6810p :dunno: i think
and its much smarter than i am :huray:
to be honest i wouldnt have a mobile if i didnt get one for going into hospital 2014 for my bowel operation :lol: :lol:
i on average would use perhaps 10 mins off phone calls a month from my free 60[now 200 mins]
i now use perhaps 25 or 30 now because i no longer use the house phone because calls would be £10 a month for unlimited to landline and to mobile calls
but they are free on my mobile as part off my home phone and fibre optic broadband package all for £25 :lol:
Bob225

Post by Bob225 »

Go into your setting - about device - updates - and tick the box that says Wifi Only
These users thanked the author Bob225 for the post:
big-all
Rating: 7.14%

Return to “General DIY forum”