Loctite vs Super Glue?

Please use this forum for all DIY posts that do not fit into a specific category.

Moderator: Moderators

yadnom1973
Newly registered Member

Loctite vs Super Glue?

Post by yadnom1973 »

Looking at fixing a threaded stud into a handle and I was going to use Loctite Red but the guy at the shop was going to use Super Glue. I always took Loctite Red as pretty much the last word in bonding threads as long as there was no heat involved, go knows it’s given me enough misery trying to undo them. I don’t really know anything about how super glue would behave?

So I was wondering what people out there normally turn to for a permanent fix of a stainless steel thread?
ayjay

Re: Loctite vs Super Glue?

Post by ayjay »

With a simple Cyanoacrylate glue (super glue) setting in ten seconds (or less) it sounds less than ideal if you have to wind something onto a thread before the glue has set.

Loctite Red takes up to 24 hours to set completely so might not be ideal if you want to use the handle soon afterwards, a rapid set epoxy might be a better alternative, you'll get five to ten minutes working time and not too long for a full cure.
One day it will all be firewood.
yadnom1973
Newly registered Member

Post by yadnom1973 »

Hi, ayjay. Thanks for the help. Working time is not an issue. It can be done in 10 seconds if need be though a little tricky. Or it can be left to cure for however long it takes the only issue for me is which will make the strongest bond? It’s an item that is stored indoors but has intermittent out door use, could get wet if the weathers bad but not expected to be submerged for any period of time beyond being dropped in a pond or something then retrieved. Will be expected to put up with the harshest exterior conditions when in use. I’ll put a spring pin through the shaft and collar also but I was just surprised that he preferred Super Glue and was wondering if other people reached for this before the Loctite also and why? I’d not thought of epoxy ether, you think it would be stronger than Loctite?
Dave54

Post by Dave54 »

Permanent fix I'd usually go for Loctite red, although blue will be pretty permanent for most things.
No luck with using superglue here.
You can heat the thread to 250C (IIRC) to remove any fasteners where Loctite has been used, assuming nothing else will be damaged of course.
ayjay

Post by ayjay »

Dave54 wrote:Permanent fix I'd usually go for Loctite red, although blue will be pretty permanent for most things.
I think the blue is removable with hand tools but the red needs heat as well. I'd use epoxy cos I always have some of that, but I'm sure the red loctite will work just as well, it is what it's designed for when all's said and done.
One day it will all be firewood.
Dave54

Post by Dave54 »

ayjay wrote:
Dave54 wrote:Permanent fix I'd usually go for Loctite red, although blue will be pretty permanent for most things.
I think the blue is removable with hand tools but the red needs heat as well. I'd use epoxy cos I always have some of that, but I'm sure the red loctite will work just as well, it is what it's designed for when all's said and done.
Agreed, the blue is removable, but it still makes things pretty tight to get off.
The red stuff I've got is "Studlock" it's ages old but still works. Apparently it's OK to use after the expiry for "non critical" stuff.
yadnom1973
Newly registered Member

Post by yadnom1973 »

I think Loctite it the way to go I was jusy wondering if I was missing a trick there.
Rorschach

Post by Rorschach »

Superglue is probably about as effective as blue loctite.
Hitch

Post by Hitch »

Loctite is the proper thing... wouldnt have even thought about superglue when there is a readily available specific product....

Stainless threads.... half the time they gall up anyway :lol: If you dont lubricate them anyway.
[size=100][color=green][b]Why isn't the number 11 pronounced onety one? [/b][/color][/size]
Nos

Post by Nos »

I personally would use Loctite however superglue is available in different setting times I use a lot of "60 sec" on the models I build, it does what it say on the tube :wink: Nos
Jonno34
Newly registered Member
Been thanked: 0

Post by Jonno34 »

Loctite either blue or red though red will be harder to release

Return to “General DIY forum”