Shaver socket

All your electrical questions regarding electrics from within the United Kingdom

Moderator: Moderators

dan_ce
Newly registered Member
Been thanked: 0

Shaver socket

Post by dan_ce »

I've just wired in a shaver socket which hums slightly but audibly when connected to the toothbrush plug. Presumably shaver/toothbrush plug. It doesn't matter if there is no load on the electric toothbrush, it seems that the gate energises the transformer as soon as a plug is inserted. I'm slightly wondering if I should put inline a time delay/lag button so that the transformer is only energised for an hour or so each day.
This is the shaver socket.
big-all
Pro Carpenter

Re: Shaver socket

Post by big-all »

not strictly correct
if its a shaver socket dont assume its ok for toothbrushes as it will only be loaded whilst shaving
if its charging a toothbrush its needs to be compatible with toothbrushes as its charging for ages or at a high level
the one in your link has a big clue on the plate "SHAVERS ONLY" :lol:
we are all ------------------still learning
dan_ce
Newly registered Member

Post by dan_ce »

Thanks for your reply. Sorry - what's not strictly correct? Also bear in mind most modern shavers now are rechargeable ones, so operating identically to a toothbrush!
I'll contact Dencon to see if they have any thoughts on whether I ought to fit a time delay switch. Thanks again
big-all
Pro Carpenter

Post by big-all »

toothbrushes tend to be induction loops as in no electrical connections between brush and base so higher load
where as you shaver plugs in and and just a very low trickle charge
the great the hum tends to mean the greater the load
dan_ce
Newly registered Member

Post by dan_ce »

hmmm - it says 0.9w power on the induction charger for the toothbrush - really doesn't sound like much to me! :-)
big-all
Pro Carpenter

Post by big-all »

you need a socket that says its compatable or expect it to fail without claim on a gtee your choice really :dunno:
dan_ce
Newly registered Member

Post by dan_ce »

You present two options - what about the original question I posed in my initial post? Fitting an inline £10 time lag switch?
Thanks for your help! :)
big-all
Pro Carpenter

Post by big-all »

havent got a clue but iff you stop a trickle charge your shaver wont charge in the say 12-14 hrs it takes
and your induction toothbrush may have done all the damage in an hour :dunno:
Someone-Else

Post by Someone-Else »

You have made the common mistake of assuming you can use a shaver socket to charge a toothbrush, you will do your self a favour if you get the correct socket, it will be safer, won't catch fire, and it will charge your tooth brush, and it will not void the g'tee.

This one has a toothbrush logo under the beard logo, its made by MK
Above are my opinions Below is my signature.

Would you hit a nail with a shoe because you don't have a hammer? of course not, then why work on anything electrical without a means of testing Click Here to buy a "tester" just because it works, does NOT mean it is safe.

:mrgreen: If gloom had a voice, it would be me.

:idea1: Click Here for a video how to add/change pictures

Inept people use the QUOTE BUTTON instead of the QUICK REPLY section :-)
Kev888

Post by Kev888 »

This is something which may be connected and unattended for long periods, even whilst people sleep, so its not an ideal candidate for doubtful applications. The label does expressly limit the scope of safe use to shavers only, plus the noise seems to have raised a little concern in practice.

So whilst logic and assumption are all well and good, I'd want a little more in this case: there may be arse-covering going on with the label, but it hasn't actually been established that tooth brushes are acceptable, and fudging things with a timer is completely unproven to work or even help. So IMO if you are keen to keep using the socket then at least get positive confirmation from the manufacturer that the socket is suitable for your use.

If/when they won't, or if you don't trust them not to be fobbing you off, then personally I'd swap to a socket thats fundamentally suitable for the job. Ideally from a trusted brand (like MK); what cheap imports have (or don't have) printed on their label may not necessarily mean a great deal.
Kev
ericmark

Post by ericmark »

dan_ce wrote:hmmm - it says 0.9w power on the induction charger for the toothbrush - really doesn't sound like much to me! :-)
To comply with the standards the 240 volt shaver socket has to be limited to 200 mA so between 44 ~ 48 watt depending if 220 or 240 volt, however the idea is to use the output to shave with, not to charge cordless items, whole idea of a cordless shaver or tooth brush is you don't need a bathroom supply to use them.

If you have a shaver in your hand it is unlikely to fall in the sink or bath, as soon as you put it down then it can get knocked or slowly slide into sink or bath, safer to recharge in bedroom. Shaver sockets with the tooth brush marking are designed for continuous use, those without it are intermittent only, a duel voltage shaver socket costs around £26 for continuous use and £8 for intermittent use, there is a reason why they cost more for continuous use.
ayjay

Post by ayjay »

When I revamped our bathroom a few years back I fitted an ordinary shaver socket inside a bathroom cabinet just for the wife's electric toothbrush.

It died after a few months.

At the time, like the OP, I wasn't aware of the difference in electrical demand between shavers and toothbrushes.

That didn't stop the shaver socket from dying.
One day it will all be firewood.
Kev888

Post by Kev888 »

This does seem to be (yet another) area where things have evolved fairly badly. Most chargeable tooth-brushes and shavers have the 2-pin plugs instead of 3-pin ones, clearly encouraging use in the bathroom, but only recently have some bathroom sockets started being properly designed for charging things.

And the cheaper sort are still more common, yet the corded shavers they're intended for are now a minority. There must be an argument for 'only' making/fitting sockets properly suitable for charging these days, as thats what most people will use them for. And why would even safety-conscious people think that a 'shaver-only' socket wouldn't be completely fine for rechargeable shavers and perhaps by association smaller toothbrushes?

Thankfully, whilst the older type weren't actually tested or specified as charging outlets, in practice decent quality makes are unlikely to burst into flame with typical, very low powered devices. But there seems an increasing tendency for chargeable devices to have more capacity and/or charge at a higher power, and unbranded/cheapo sockets made down to a price..
Kev

Return to “Electric Forum UK”