Another day, another scam.

Grumpy people only in here please

Moderator: Moderators

ayjay

Another day, another scam.

Post by ayjay »

Took a phone call this morning; they wanted to speak to the wife about a legal matter. I told them she was in hospital. Can we speak to you about it was the next question. When I said yes, she said I'll get someone to call you. Ding dong, alarm bell 1 - even the bloody doctor won't discuss my wife on the phone with me.

They phoned back about a half hour later, a man this time, he told me that we were due for some compensation because a company that we had shares in had gone bust. Ding dong, alarm bells 2 and 3. (No.3 because they wouldn't be the wife's, they'd be in my name).

The name of the company didn't ring any bells, ( I do have some shares so I asked him if they had operated under any other name previously, he didn't know. Ding dong, alarm bell 4.

I was sitting by the computer whilst talking and by this time had googled the company name he gave me - still trading, no apparent problems. Ding dong, alarm bell 5.

Confronted with this info he said they were privy to advance information. Ding dong, alarm bell 6.

He then asked for my email address which I started to give him when by some strange chance we got cut off. :lol:

If you have shares in a company and they go bust I don't think you get any compensation any more than backing the wrong horse and going back to the bookies for some compo, and would they really be paying out compo before they've gone bust, do they think we are all completely stupid?
One day it will all be firewood.
Bob225

Re: Another day, another scam.

Post by Bob225 »

Anything like that goes through your broker, shares are a gamble unless you have a venture guaranty (cant think of the correct wording)

If a company is wound up and the creditors are paid the rest goes to the stockholders but its usually pennies in the pound - years after onDigital (later itv digital went busts) I got a check for £2.60 odd on a small investment
boxedin

Post by boxedin »

Sounds like a scam to get bank account details (in order to pay in compensation payment) but actually to clean the account out

Could be some kind of boiler room scam there is no compensation if you fall victim to these scams from the FSA as they are usually fake companies
ignore

Seems to be getting worse
https://www.ageuk.org.uk/information-ad ... one-scams/
ayjay

Post by ayjay »

I've finally blown this guy out today, he's been contacting me regularly to ask me to sign (digitally) some documents that are basically me making this claim for compensation. If I don't sign them he'll have to send me a different form to sign which means I relinquish all claim to these shares.

My wife has never bought any shares so they don't exist anyway. I spoke to my son about it and sent him a link to the document. After looking at it he thought he may have spotted at least one problem, (that's before they ask for my bank details) in that signing the document, I/we agree to sell this company the shares we are supposed to own - so when we can't sell them cos we don't have them they could presumably sue us for breach of contract.

It probably wouldn't stand up in an English court but who knows about America?

When I told him today that I wouldn't be returning the documents he said he wouldn't bother to send me the one relinquishing my claim cos I probably wouldn't send that back either and he would use the recorded phone conversation as evidence of me dropping any claim.

So basically he's making it up as he goes along.

In light of all that, here's a couple of names to be wary of:-

Tomason Henry Law - the company - doesn't really seem to exist despite having a website (which can't be found on google)
Harry Morton - the man on the phone
Gladstone plc - the company that we're supposed to have shares in
One day it will all be firewood.

Return to “The Grumpy corner”