Electrics between Kingspan and Plasterboard?

All your electrical questions regarding electrics from within the United Kingdom

Moderator: Moderators

Evostance
Newly registered Member

Electrics between Kingspan and Plasterboard?

Post by Evostance »

Our garage was converted at some point, although not particularly well.

I'm going to be pulling all the plasterboard down and putting in some new Kingspan, however I'll be bringing the wall out further than the depth of the Kingspan.

Should i fix the Kingspan to the brick, and then have the electrical cable between the Kingspan and Plasterboard in the void, or should the cable go between the Kingspan and the brick wall?

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
OnlyMe
Approved Electrician

Re: Electrics between Kingspan and Plasterboard?

Post by OnlyMe »

If you put the cable between the kingspan and the plasterboard you are using installation method 102 which is an approved installation.
These users thanked the author OnlyMe for the post:
Evostance
Rating: 7.14%
Evostance
Newly registered Member

Post by Evostance »

OnlyMe wrote:If you put the cable between the kingspan and the plasterboard you are using installation method 102 which is an approved installation.
Ok thanks.

If I put the electrics behind the Kingspan, I'm assuming lots of conduit will need to be ran to protect the cable from going brittle?

Or does conduit need to be used regardless

OnlyMe
Approved Electrician

Post by OnlyMe »

I am not aware or any reaction between kingspan and PVC cable that will cause the cable to become brittle (unlike the reaction between expanded polystyrene and PVC cable).

If you put the cables behind the kingspan then you are at risk of lowering the current carrying capacity (CCC) and may cause the cable to overheat. This is not applicable to the lighting circuit if using 1.5mm T&E but it may be important for the socket circuits.

Putting the cable in conduit also lowers the CCC and could make things worse.

I'll get back later as I am off to work and I have really been looking forward to working this Saturday.........
Evostance
Evostance
Newly registered Member

Post by Evostance »

OnlyMe wrote:I am not aware or any reaction between kingspan and PVC cable that will cause the cable to become brittle (unlike the reaction between expanded polystyrene and PVC cable).

If you put the cables behind the kingspan then you are at risk of lowering the current carrying capacity (CCC) and may cause the cable to overheat. This is not applicable to the lighting circuit if using 1.5mm T&E but it may be important for the socket circuits.

Putting the cable in conduit also lowers the CCC and could make things worse.

I'll get back later as I am off to work and I have really been looking forward to working this Saturday.........
Haha I feel for you, but thanks for the help.

I imagine there will be a void of about 3-4cm between the Kingspan (or whatever insulation board that isn't polystyrene that I can get my hands on)

Not entirely sure how back boxes etc get fit, assuming they'd have to cut out a chunk of the insulation board so it fits.

OnlyMe
Approved Electrician

Post by OnlyMe »

That is the other problem with taking the cables behind the kinspan and not in front of it. You have to puncture the kingspan and pass the cables through it. This again will effect the cables CCC and the integrity of your insulation. Is there anyway you can just fetch the cables down the front of the kingspan?

BTW work was a blast. Nearly 2 hours to get through security, two level B rub downs and a complete search of the van - a massive argument about what was and not allowed (including the ladders on the roof, a can of deicer and an orange hi viz vest that she found )
Evostance
Newly registered Member

Post by Evostance »

OnlyMe wrote:That is the other problem with taking the cables behind the kinspan and not in front of it. You have to puncture the kingspan and pass the cables through it. This again will effect the cables CCC and the integrity of your insulation. Is there anyway you can just fetch the cables down the front of the kingspan?

BTW work was a blast. Nearly 2 hours to get through security, two level B rub downs and a complete search of the van - a massive argument about what was and not allowed (including the ladders on the roof, a can of deicer and an orange hi viz vest that she found )
I should be able to get them between the insulation and plasterboard. I reckon I'll have a 2-3cm gap where they can run.

Do they have the go in conduit? As I can't exactly clip them to the insulation without piercing it

OnlyMe
Approved Electrician

Post by OnlyMe »

You can attach the cables to the kingspan with self adhesive cable clips or gaffer tape.

When I said puncturing the kingspan I meant a hole right through it! That's not the same thing as piercing it with a cable clip (and normal cable clips will not hold onto kingspan).

If you are using dry liner boxes (usually 35mm deep) then you will have a 12.5mm plasterboard plus whatever gap between the plasterboard and the kingspan. If the gap is not big enough then you are allowed to scrape into the surface of the kingspan, just do not go all the way through it.
Evostance

Return to “Electric Forum UK”