Location for bathroom extractor fan

Please use this forum for all DIY posts that do not fit into a specific category.

Moderator: Moderators

davej
Been thanked: 0

Location for bathroom extractor fan

Post by davej »

I have a small bathroom in the back addition of a terraced house and am wondering where's the best location for an extractor fan. On the left wall at the end of the bath, or on the end wall & higher up. Or does it matter?
Attachments
DSC_1802.JPG
DSC_1802.JPG (143.98 KiB) Viewed 2130 times
ayjay

Re: Location for bathroom extractor fan

Post by ayjay »

The act of the extractor in withdrawing air from your bathroom requires that that air is replaced from somewhere.

Put it next to an open window and you'll create a perfectly useless current of air circling between the two - I'd opt for a position which is well away from where the air will be drawn in and try and make any source of steam be on that route.
One day it will all be firewood.
davej

Post by davej »

I agree, I've lived in the house for 25 years and never had a problem with mould etc as I've always cracked the window open. I'm now looking at renting it out so it comes down to whether the tenant bothers to open the window or not. Maybe your example of 'a useless current of air circling between the two' would be better than no ventilation at all if the door & window are both closed?
wine~o

Post by wine~o »

If it were me I'd install an inline fan in the loft. Screw down a board with a tap washer at each screw point.. then fit the inline fan to the board again using tap washers. This will minimise vibration and therefore noise. (noise is the main reason tenants won't switch on fans)

Vented via the soffit with the inlet in the ceiling.

This sorta thing https://www.screwfix.com/p/manrose-in-l ... 00mm/41379

Then the vent can be fixed directly over or adjacent to the shower.
Verwood Handyman

If you feel you have benefited from the Free advice given on the Forum, Please consider making a donation to UHM's Nominated charity, read all about it and donate here :

http://www.donnasdreamhouse.co.uk
Cantseeitfrommyhouse

Post by Cantseeitfrommyhouse »

wine~o wrote:If it were me I'd install an inline fan in the loft. Screw down a board with a tap washer at each screw point.. then fit the inline fan to the board again using tap washers. This will minimise vibration and therefore noise. (noise is the main reason tenants won't switch on fans)

Vented via the soffit with the inlet in the ceiling.

This sorta thing https://www.screwfix.com/p/manrose-in-l ... 00mm/41379

Then the vent can be fixed directly over or adjacent to the shower.

Hide the Isolator as well. And write it into their tenancy agreement that if the little twunts turn it off they can be shot in the face. :angryfire: ::b :wink:
davej

Post by davej »

Thanks, for some reason the Screwfix site won't display properly for me, regardless of which browser I use. Strange, not had that before.
DIY_Johnny
Mr. Grumpy

Post by DIY_Johnny »

Cantseeitfrommyhouse wrote:
Hide the Isolator as well. And write it into their tenancy agreement that if the little twunts turn it off they can be shot in the face. :angryfire: ::b :wink:
:lol:

No tenant if mine every opens a window, especially in the bathroom. I would get a good extractor fan surf a trickle feature, over run and humidistat.
Will save you money in the future.
wine~o

Post by wine~o »

davej wrote:Thanks, for some reason the Screwfix site won't display properly for me, regardless of which browser I use. Strange, not had that before.
Mental ... go to the website and put 41379 in the search box.
Verwood Handyman

If you feel you have benefited from the Free advice given on the Forum, Please consider making a donation to UHM's Nominated charity, read all about it and donate here :

http://www.donnasdreamhouse.co.uk

Return to “General DIY forum”