9fingers
Newly registered Member
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Lidl Plunge saw this week

Post by 9fingers »

This plunge saw (not the track version) is on special again at lidl

https://www.lidl.co.uk/en/Non-Food-Offe ... cleId=2905

I'm considering this to use with a home made sawboard when going to the DIY sheds to break down sheet goods in the car park. to fit in my estate car. I have a 1kva genny to power it.
Very few of our local sheds have in store cutting.

Any views on this tool please?

tia
Bob
Rorschach

Re: Lidl Plunge saw this week

Post by Rorschach »

I think for your money you would be better buying their cordless circular saw or another similarly cheap circ saw. No need for a generator then. You can still use a homemade sawboard if you wish, or just strike and line and freehand it.
9fingers
Newly registered Member

Post by 9fingers »

Always dubious of cheap battery powered tools to be honest. Nothing worse than the battery dying half way through a cut. (and I already have the genny).
My big circular saw is 1800 watts - too much for the little genny.

This saw for £50/3year warranty seems good value unless it has any major drawbacks?
Further searching shows Wickes have the Worx plunge saw for £50 too - dilemma......

Bob
Rorschach

Post by Rorschach »

How many cuts are you planning to make in the car park? Surely it's only 1-2 to get it to fit in your car?
Argyll

Post by Argyll »

The problem with Parkside cordless power tools is the battery is always very low amperage, often 1.3ah. They offer an upgrade to 2.0ah but you also need to purchase an additional charger which costs more than the power tool itself :shock:

Stevie told me a while back this was how all cordless tools were back in the day but it seems Parkside haven't caught up. A 1.3ah battery doesn't last long so needless to say I'm done with buying their cordless tools.
9fingers
Newly registered Member

Post by 9fingers »

Rorschach wrote:How many cuts are you planning to make in the car park? Surely it's only 1-2 to get it to fit in your car?

Yes a couple of cuts usually but I'm thinking a few years on when the tool has sat idle for most of its life, then the battery is charged ready for a job and then lets me down. I'm only thinking of when I want the odd sheet. Larger jobs, my mate orders the sheet goods and cuts them on his CNC for me.

About the only brand I'd consider for rarely used battery tools is Hitachi as I have two drills and the batteries are (nearly) always ready to go and regularly cycled. Not saying Hitachi is anything special but I just happen to have batteries in regular use.

Bob
boxedin

Post by boxedin »

9fingers
Newly registered Member

Post by 9fingers »

boxedin wrote:Isn't the one on offer this week a powered mini plunge saw not cordless?
https://www.lidl.co.uk/en/Non-Food-Offe ... cleId=2905
Its competition is
http://www.screwfix.com/p/titan-ttb689c ... 0wodo0QDdg
http://www.wickes.co.uk/WORX-350W-85mm- ... lsrc=aw.ds
All three machines are corded not battery powered.

I'm Confused?

Bob

Return to “Tool Talk”