Ryobi power tool reviews in here please

Moderator: Moderators

valve90210
Has thanked: 0

Battery charger problems

Post by valve90210 »

Hi

Wondering if anyone can help.

About 18 months ago I got myself some Ryobi kit, specifically an impact driver and drill driver set, which came with a charger and 2 batteries. I also ended up with an additional charger, battery and tool bag thrown in (yay). The chargers are the big green 14.4V-18V Dual Chargers (BCL1418H).

A few months ago one of the chargers seemed to die on me, now when I plug it in the red light flashes and the green light flickers a bit, on putting a battery in it continues to do this. The green light never goes on solidly and it doesn't appear to be charging. I've spoken to the company that deals with warranty work for Ryobi in this country and they are sending me out a replacement charger.

However, over the weekend, the second charger started doing exactly the same so now, until I get the replacement charger through I'm stuck with what little charge there is left in the batteries.

Has anyone else had such problems with these chargers? I'm also now wondering if I'm doing something wrong for both chargers to have dies in this way, or if there's something I'm missing about the chargers??
big-all
Pro Carpenter

Re: Battery charger problems

Post by big-all »

they all go through the red light then green flashing light then constant green as far as i know
if its lion batteries or above 20 degrees try moving to a cooler location and give time for the battery to cool down
we are all ------------------still learning
valve90210

Post by valve90210 »

It's not so much the green light flashing as flickering, and it doesn't change when a battery is inserted either. I'm using 1.4mAh Lion batteries.

In fact I took a video of it and you can see the LEDs aren't lighting up in the super bright way they normally do, something definitely doesn't seem right:

valve90210

Post by valve90210 »

Having had a look on amazon at the charger, there's a huge amount of negative reviews on this charger with loads of people suffering the exact same problem, some people are on their third or fourth replacements!

I've called the warranty people, TTI, who I spoke to about the first problem and they're going to send me out another new charger, so I'll have two new ones coming. I'm guessing they know there's an issue as they seem to be dishing them out like candy!! lol
big-all
Pro Carpenter

Post by big-all »

the agent for ryobi used to be in dumfries scotland
where is it now
and thanks for the update :thumbright:
valve90210

Post by valve90210 »

I've got to send my return form, along with the stickers from the bottom of each charger, along with my proof of purchase to a place in Marlow, Bucks, so I'm guessing that's where they are now. It's truly the worst form I've ever seen, basic, messy and badly photocopied!! It hardly inspires confidence in them!!

I'm hoping the new chargers will arrive swiftly, I have loads of diy work to be doing!
big-all
Pro Carpenter

Post by big-all »

ok cheers :thumbright:
if you get desperate give me a shout :thumbright:
valve90210

Post by valve90210 »

Cheers, I shall bare that in mind!
valve90210

Post by valve90210 »

Just a quick update. I sent the form and the labels from the chargers and my proof of purchase back to TTI last week , and yesterday received two brand new boxed chargers in the post, not had a chance to check them out beyond looking at them but I'm sure they'll work fine, hopefully they'll last longer than the previous ones.
These users thanked the author valve90210 for the post:
big-all
Rating: 7.14%
big-all
Pro Carpenter

Post by big-all »

i am sure you will start to see hundred of manufacturers refurbs on the market soon on ebay with the new components fitted :lol:

thanks for letting us know how you get on :huray:

Return to “Ryobi”