EPCs, Fact or fiction?

Energy saving questions in here please

Moderator: Moderators

Mooncat

EPCs, Fact or fiction?

Post by Mooncat »

Looking at a ready-built house as I am finding that finding a building plot less likely than an honest politician, I found one with a rating between B and C, 81 actual, 82 potential. Can the rating be relied upon, or is it just another marketing ploy? How is the rating calculated?
I started out with nothing, I still have most of it.

Directmail scam information site: http://astrocat.proboards.com/index.cgi?
wine~o

Re: EPCs, Fact or fiction?

Post by wine~o »

:dunno: I'd say more of a guide that a statement of fact.. allsorts goes into the equation depth and type of insulation, double glazing, efficiency of boiler and controls ...
Verwood Handyman

If you feel you have benefited from the Free advice given on the Forum, Please consider making a donation to UHM's Nominated charity, read all about it and donate here :

http://www.donnasdreamhouse.co.uk
Pooneil

Post by Pooneil »

I think it's a good idea in principle, to give an idea of energy costs and where you could most economically improve, but it can't tell you how comfortable the house will be.

For example, the house we've just sold, the place we are renting had similar ratings; the house we sold was comfortable but limited on scope to improve efficiency, the place we are renting is freezing and draughty with an ancient boiler but has a huge bank of solar panels.

The place we are renovating is energy efficient in as much as it has no heating at all and therefore no energy to lose ( I assume this is how it's rating came out only a little worse than the others – if not the system is nonsense). Despite having a condemned fuse board, they left energy saving bulbs in every room, which would have bumped the figures.

So it's not a replacement for common sense and a good survey.

Btw what do you mean by 'a ready-built house'? Like a new build or just a house. If it's new and being sold by the developers there is sure to be some 'gloss'.
When I heard they'd discovered a cure for dyslexia it was like music to my arse!
Mooncat

Post by Mooncat »

The house in question looks like a self-built, judging by the materials used, but I think I'll persist in looking for a plot. Winter is coming and I may as well spend more time looking. Some plots I've seen were so 'compact' there'd be scant room for a garden let alone a static caravan to live in during construction. I saw the county planner who was encouraging as long as it fitted in with its surroundings. I've lived in too many badly designed houses to be happy with the average spec-built offering. I'm more limited than most as I don't drive, and getting on in years.
I started out with nothing, I still have most of it.

Directmail scam information site: http://astrocat.proboards.com/index.cgi?

Return to “Energy Saving”