cheap loft insulation

Energy saving questions in here please

Moderator: Moderators

peter359
Newly registered Member
Been thanked: 0

cheap loft insulation

Post by peter359 »

last winter when it was £3 a roll for 170mm at B&Q i went mental and stuck three layers in our old house, we have just moved again last week and we are back to 50mm 1970's fibreglass again.

i have done the usual searchs and it seams that its back to £30 a roll again, does anyone know where the cheap stuff is and or if the government is going to subsidise it again in the winter time ?
Inky Pete

Re: cheap loft insulation

Post by Inky Pete »

Wickes are doing the triple rolls which do just under 6 sqm at 200mm thick for a tenner.

http://www.wickes.co.uk/red-plastic-wal ... vt/161279/

B&Q are doing pretty much the same.

http://www.diy.com/nav/build/insulation ... m-11127503

.....or if you've only got 50mm currently, you could get Scottish Power in to do it for free!!!

http://www.scottishpower.co.uk/legal/te ... terms.aspx
These users thanked the author Inky Pete for the post:
harryhound
Rating: 7.14%
big-all
Pro Carpenter

Post by big-all »

by the laws off diminishing returns the first layer will perhaps save 7% off the house heat loss or say 500w[3p an hour 50p a day £60] 4cold months
the second layer will stop most off the say 20w still escaping [£2.40p a year]
the final layer will save the last 1w and save 2p a year
much greater savings can be made than the second or 3rd layer by exchanging bulbs for more efficient ones
swaping energy providers wearing an extra t shirt and turn the heating down 1 degree
we are all ------------------still learning
dandan

Post by dandan »

Tesco will supply and fit loft and cavity wall insulation for free. I had them do it last week and cant fault them.

I dont have the link but a quick google will find it.
peter359
Newly registered Member

Post by peter359 »

thanks for the tips people, i have decided to use someone else, on the £100 to do the loft scheme, its cheaper to do that than for me to buy the stuff, amazing really
GrogSym
Newly registered Member

Post by GrogSym »

I had mine done for free a couple of months ago. 40 minutes and 300mm later - job done!
Thank you very much Edinburgh City Council :thumbright:
BillyGoat
Troll Headbutter

Post by BillyGoat »

Last time I rang up, I got a clearly disgusted women that I was calling about any offers/how much when I wasn't claiming benefits, disability allowance or wasn't jobless.

I thought f*ck it and didn't bother in the end. I clearly have money to burn, so I'll leave it that way.

BG
Arguing with a woman is like reading a Software Licence Agreement.
In the end, you ignore everything and click "I agree".
ExcellBlinds
Newly registered Member
Has thanked: 0

Post by ExcellBlinds »

Last time I did a loft conversion I used some good stuff from Wickes, have a look here if it ever comes up again

http://www.wickes.co.uk/building-materi ... nsinsulat/

Failing that I have reused some before and it's fine. Just make sure it's still credable. :boxing:
Dickie

Post by Dickie »

We also got free loft insulation in our gaffe here. But with two ladies in the house the Central Heating gets turned on if a)They're tired or b)If it's raining!!!.......... ::b

So my answer to Global Warming is hand out free Ladies Jumpers or Snuggies.
Time-served Plumber/Heating Engineer & general wind-up merchant.
The Plumbers Anthem
If you have found my help or tips useful please donate here. Thank You;
donnas-dream-house-charity-t52110.html
Gas Safe RGI
Scottish, British & Proud.
I'm not or never claimed to be Chris Williams.
silver_star

Post by silver_star »

The loft insulation was on my "to do" list since I bought the house with my other half over a year ago now. I was waiting to get other things finished and also for the weather to cool down as I diddn't fancy sweating my nuts off in the loft :lol:

I was reading a guide on the money saving expert site about free loft insulation. M&S Energy Services were offering free loft insulation for everyone and a free £30 M&S voucher into the deal 2! I though I may as well apply.

A few weeks later a bloke from Dyson insulation came out to do a survey and a week or so later it was all done. Got 200mm cross laid ontop of the 50mm 70's stuff that was up there already. They even took the economy wickes pipe insulation off my tank piping, put decent climaflex on, put a loft board infront of the tanks and installed a seal round the trap! Can't complain, saved me some £ buying the insulation and also from doing a nasty job so it's a win win. The £30 M&S voucher hasn't turned up yet but I guess I can't complain if it doesn't :lol:

The Mrs said the lads that came to install it looked like they should have been at school still, let alone old enough to drive the van :lol: My only complaint is they didn't space the pins evenly on the loft trap seal (simple things like that annoy me).....but beggers can't be choosers.
harryhound
Newly registered Member

Post by harryhound »

Wickes (+ B & Q) offered loft insulation again at £10 a triple length roll ( with EDF customers picking up the tab); - but the offer was withdrawn again on 01nov12.

Any news on what is likely to happen to the subsidies on 01jan13 ?
three_sheds
Newly registered Member
Has thanked: 0

Post by three_sheds »

Anyone know where to get the cheapest insulation from at the moment?

I need it to complete our exension. Having paid £1 per roll last year, I can't face paying 30x as much this year. I went to Wickes yesterday after seeing their £10 deal and was very disappointed (to say the least) to see that it had ended!
silver_star

Post by silver_star »

Have a look on the moneysaving expert site as they tend to have details on the latest offers. I think the end of October was a cut off for certain funding.

Slight update to my post above.............got my £30 of free M&S vouchers. That was my Mam's B'day prezzie sorted. :huray:

Return to “Energy Saving”