big-all
Pro Carpenter

ryobi 18v planer

Post by big-all »

ok arrived today brilliant bit of kit fits the one plus system

http://www.itslondon.co.uk/pd_RYOCPL180 ... olOnly.htm

cost me £55 + £7.50 postage
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... &rd=1&rd=1

cuts exactly 50.4mm[2 inch] the fence you can fix on helps to cut close to or on the edge also allows rebates up to 12.7mm deep

the 2" cutting capacity in my opinion is nearer 48mm as its virtualy impossible to keep tight to the side as any bump nick or dunt will pull the blade a mm or 2mm off line

the plane is absolutly ideal and with a bit of practice a normal 44 mm door could be shaved without using the usefull but substantial fence

if there is one complaint its the cutting depth is set at 0.4 max the planer can easily handle this amount in softwood and i think perhaps 0.5 would have been easier for depth calculations with an added proviso that harder wood should be limited to 0.4

the machine is extremly well desighned and built
easy to use and adjust
with spare reversable blades and a handy "T" bar allen key to fit them

it has a handy flip down support so you can place the planer flat on the ground without dammage to the blade

the spring gaurd that pushes back to allow rebating has a strong spring and i am wondering if it may affect the squareness probably not but worth keeping an eye
we are all ------------------still learning
ultimatehandyman
Site Admin

Post by ultimatehandyman »

Good review Big-all :thumbright:

Ryobi seem to be a very popular choice for both professionals and DIY'ers.

We have used Ryobi a few times for the competition prizes and people always seem happy with them :wink:
big-all
Pro Carpenter

Post by big-all »

what the next review you want from me in the one plus range :wink: !!!

the impact driver the circ saw the recipsaw jigsaw the torch the hoover

the chop saw yes they do a chopsaw :grin: :grin: :grin: :wink:

and when they get there act together the trimmer/light router :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin: :wink:
ultimatehandyman
Site Admin

Post by ultimatehandyman »

You can review all of them if you like :wink:

Seperate threads for each one would be good :thumbright:

I'm taking a liking to Ryobi :wink:

I think I might be getting some ryobi tools myself in the future, they are much cheaper then the dewalt that I normally buy, but I already have the charger and batteries and that is why I normally buy them.
skiking
Has thanked: 0

Post by skiking »

I'm starting to get a collection of these now. Combi drill, circular saw and impact driver all One+ - may add the planer in the coming weeks, plus a 240v mitre saw. The latter is quite old, well, 3 or 4 yrs old.

Not sure my useage of these tools qualifies me giving a review :oops:. But for my general DIY use I have found then easy to use and at the price they are offered for, especially once you have a couple of batteries, they are good value. :thumbright:
big-all
Pro Carpenter

Post by big-all »

to be honest i couldn't justify half the ryobi stuff i have bought beforei bought them

certainly couldn't justify an impact driver before i bought it but soon paid its way time wise

again the recip saw i decided i could use it to cut barge board in situ without removing the tiles worked a treat with 2 batons have used the same technique 2 more time and paid for its self in time and effort
big-all
Pro Carpenter

Post by big-all »

skiking wrote:Not sure my useage of these tools qualifies me giving a review :oops:. But for my general DIY use I have found then easy to use and at the price they are offered for, especially once you have a couple of batteries, they are good value. :thumbright:
your comments are just as valid as anyone else :grin: :grin:

you dont have to use a tool a lot to know it feels good or handles well or does the job

my comments where more on what it could do according to the stats and my initial conclusions including several small tasks including rebating parralel cuting ect
its more to give a feel for the tool so please reveiw away :grin: :grin: :grin:

if after several different tasks i find a problem little querk or a desighn fault i will report back in an honest and fair way
somehow i suspect the planer will perform realy well with little or no problem

Return to “Ryobi”