TOP TIPS! What are your top tips that you CAN share?

Painting and decorating, plaster mouldings, Artexing questions

Moderator: Moderators

Have Brush Will Travel

Post by Have Brush Will Travel »

Drill a series of holes in your stirring sticks...it helps the paint mix better and quicker
I intend to live forever......So far, so good
Have Brush Will Travel

Give plastis kettles and trays a coat of oil based gloss before you use them...make them easier to pull out layers of dried paint.
Puma

Post by Puma »

royaloakcarpentry wrote:CHISEL...........stirrer.....can opener........HOW very dare you!

I shall pretend I didn't read that post of chisel abuse lol.

I like the shaped scrapers for opening tins.
Well yes I take your point. I have two sets one from Lidl which cost next to nothing and is made from soft steel, it does get bashed about abit, (hammer through the odd bit of masonry too) but it's fairly swift to grind it back into shape. It isn't a pretty sight but damn handy!

Cannot believe how well a carpenter friend keeps his chisels, on the job for 30 years and he has only worn away an inch or two from the set he was given as an apprentice.
Have Brush Will Travel

Cannot believe how well a carpenter friend keeps his chisels, on the job for 30 years and he has only worn away an inch or two from the set he was given as an apprentice.

Perhaps he uses 'OP's'...other peoples! :-)

Regards opening a tin...I always use a proper can opener..I was tempted once to use a brand new pait of scissors...can you guess whats coming next?...yup!...I snapped the end of them off!...20 quid down the drain in a flash!

Heres a tip..as its Easter...DONT open the door whe the Jehovahs turn up..or if you do, open it stark Clanger naked and ask them if they want to come in.. :mrgreen:
royaloakcarpentry

Post by royaloakcarpentry »

jeehovas.......I just say to them, ''did you not notice the broomstick, beware of the witch and the pentagram by the front door'??? pagan, here so eff off with your religion.
royaloakcarpentry

Post by royaloakcarpentry »

you can line kettles with tin foil too......just lift out after painting and kettle doesn't need cleaning.

I just clean mine with towel paper, then a quick wipe round with a couple decorators wipes and job done.
grey wolf
BANNED
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Painting wood work up to carpeting tip

Post by grey wolf »

Hello, i am new to the forum and this week discovered a trick that worked great for painting my stairway woodwork without removing the stair carpet. Hope it isn't already well known or I will look a plonker. I used 2 inch brown parcel tape to mask the carpets. I put the tape in place on the carpet going about 1/4 inch up the wood work avoiding pressing it back to stick to the woodwork. I then used a bluntish knife to push it down between the edge of the carpet and the woodwork. It was a doddle, I could easily get to all the woodwork surface to paint and then I let my water base gloss dry, a quick go round with a blunt knife incase paint had stuck to the tape then peeled it up in no time look perfect. The 2 inch tape was wide enough if i got a bit clumsy with the brush, on some of it I used a small piece of hardboard just overlapping the tape to stand my paint tin on. One roll did the entire staircase, dead cheap too. Hope this helps someone wanting to avoid removing carpets for a quick bit of repainting
54aardvark

Post by 54aardvark »

Stripping wallpaper, leave all the dry stripped paper along the skirting then go ahead with your wet stripping so all the damp stuff lays on top of the dry stuff - at the end you simply roll up all the paper into a neat bundle with the dry stuff on the outside.

With Bobbie on the caulk for textured paper, especially along the upper/lower edges where you are wanting to get a neat cut-in line with the ceiling/skirting, gives a neat smooth line to work to.

Tiling in kitchens - butt up a line of masking tape between wall and work surface then tape lining paper to this, 22" is just enough to protect the work surface. when you've finished, carefully run a snappy knife at an angle under the lower row of tiles to release the tape prior to silicone.

Keep a small square of carpet as a doormat handy to wipe your feet when leaving your nicely masked off/dust-sheeted room before heading out into the hall leaving a trail of dust/paint/plaster on clients new carpet!

Maybe a few more nuggets of useless information to come........
fordy

Post by fordy »

Jaeger_S2k wrote:One of the best tips I picked up from a Pro Dec was the order to paint a 6 panel door.
Sounds easy doesn't it, well this will save you time and won't pull your wrist, brush and paint to bits.

i was taught to paint all panels first and wipe off excess. Then do the rest.
Id imagine if your not painting like a man possesed your gonna get dragging!!

Also a few pair of tights in the van for those days your feeling kinky,lol.
Great strainer of crappy looking tin youve had in van for a while.
Jaeger_S2k
Pro Handyman

Post by Jaeger_S2k »

fordy wrote:
Jaeger_S2k wrote:One of the best tips I picked up from a Pro Dec was the order to paint a 6 panel door.
Sounds easy doesn't it, well this will save you time and won't pull your wrist, brush and paint to bits.

i was taught to paint all panels first and wipe off excess. Then do the rest.
Id imagine if your not painting like a man possesed your gonna get dragging!!

Also a few pair of tights in the van for those days your feeling kinky,lol.
Great strainer of crappy looking tin youve had in van for a while.
Hi fordy,
Avoiding ragging was why, I was told, to follow the pattern? I used to do all panels then the rest, have to admit the 'new' way I find is easier as you don't catch the dryness of the panels as you go round.

Must by some tights although I do prefer stockings.
:oops:
Jaeger.
Senior Member doesn't mean I'm OLD!
fordy

Post by fordy »

With a touch of owotrol i could probably paint the door with the brush stuck up my arse and struggle to get dragging, but what i do in my personal life is my own business!
Jaeger_S2k
Pro Handyman

Post by Jaeger_S2k »

fordy wrote:With a touch of owotrol i could probably paint the door with the brush stuck up my arse and struggle to get dragging, but what i do in my personal life is my own business!
Jaeger.
paintersbuddy
Newly registered Member
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: TOP TIPS! What are your top tips that you CAN share?

Post by paintersbuddy »

Has any decorators used Disposable Paint Scuttle Liners?

I think that they save a lot of money and time!!
EJJ150847

Post by EJJ150847 »

paintersbuddy wrote:Has any decorators used Disposable Paint Scuttle Liners?

Have used clear plastic bags before, not Tesco's carrier bags as they have holes in them. :roll:

John
Growing old is compulsory, growing up is not!
Jaeger_S2k
Pro Handyman

Post by Jaeger_S2k »

paintersbuddy wrote:Has any decorators used Disposable Paint Scuttle Liners?

:spam2:
Jaeger.

Return to “Painting & Decorating Forum”