Tiling questions and answers in here please

Moderator: Moderators

arya
Newly registered Member
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

back door now rubbing on the tiles

Post by arya »

The back door (upvc) is now rubbing on my newly laid tiles. Any suggestions on how to shave off the bottom of the door, or even how to take the door off? ! Would it help to put a pic up of the hinges etc?
big-all
Pro Carpenter

Post by big-all »

has the door dropped

you cannot safely remove material from a plastic door you may get away with about 2 or 3mm but you shouldnt realy
have you got a picture off thew door and floor area and a picture off the rubber seals around the inside edge off the door

you may be able to adjust the door up to clear the floor

if your talking 1mm
take a sheet off sandpaper lay on the floor stand on each edge and move the door over the paper
we are all ------------------still learning
leebwk

Post by leebwk »

Hi,

Pics would help, although unless the door can be lifted somehow or there is any tolerance in the frame i feel that you maybe stuck.
Really you can only cut a certain amount off the frame so you may have to take out the door and take off about 10-12mm off the top of the frame
If you think nobody cares, try missing a couple of payments..
arya
Newly registered Member

Post by arya »

Thanks for your responses which were very helpful.

I'll take some pics tonight and post.

I think only a couple of millimetres is required - it opens to about 35 degrees and then catches on the floor.

I'll take a pic and hopefully you guys (experts) will be able to tell me if there's a way to lift the door - certainly, I can lift the door and there's a tolerance of maybe 5/6 mils, i just don't know how to keep it up there!!
martyn1967

Post by martyn1967 »

hi usually pvc doors are adjustable on the hinges 3 of them will have plastic caps on , remove with a knife or similar, look inside hinge and you will see an allen bolt, useing an allen key turn each 1 half a turn clockwise and this will lift the door up, hopefully this will sort your problem. :thumbright: :thumbright: :thumbright:
Mozzy Jones

Post by Mozzy Jones »

Absolutely agree with the above. I have adjusted many dropped UPVC doors over the years. Loosen off, pop some wedges under the door at left right and middle, these range from 1mm to 10mm and beyond. Loosen first though.

Once the door is loose and chocked to the height you want, simply retighten once the movement has been made.

Mike
tictic

Post by tictic »

some upvc doors u can lift from the underside of the hinges with a 5mm allen keys.
arya
Newly registered Member

Post by arya »

Hello

Thanks everyone for all of your responses! I can't lift it with the allen keys, but I've sanded off a few layers off the bottom. Maybe using a belt sander wasn't the greatest idea - now the rubber strip is in tatters so I will have to replace that!

On the plus side, the door no longer scratches the tiles!!!

Cheers for all your help!
big-all
Pro Carpenter

Post by big-all »

dependant on the door design sometimes you have to loosen bolts/screw before adjustment with the allen screw !!!
we are all ------------------still learning

Return to “Tiling Forum”