Foill insulation

Energy saving questions in here please

Moderator: Moderators

DCOL89
Newly registered Member
Been thanked: 0

Foill insulation

Post by DCOL89 »

Hello, I am lookign at putting foil insulation in the loft, I already have insulation rolls in the loft so would this be worth doing?

Thanks
Rorschach

Foill insulation

Post by Rorschach »

Got a link. If it's that reflectix(spelling?) type stuff then don't waste your time or money, it's just shiny bubble wrap.
DIYBlogUK
BANNED
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Foill insulation

Post by DIYBlogUK »

DCOL89 wrote: Mon Aug 26, 2019 8:59 am Hello, I am lookign at putting foil insulation in the loft, I already have insulation rolls in the loft so would this be worth doing?

Thanks
Hello, I agree with Rorshach. In my experience, this shiny foil stuff does not provide the thermal insulating properties needed in most cases. These manufactures claim it will reflect the heat back into the roof. Although this is true, it probably only reflects a fraction of the heat, and the rest of the heat simply passes through it.

Did you know you can find out exactly how effective materials are regarding their insulation effectiveness? Knowing this will be a better and more cost effective approach.

A materials thermal properties are given a u-value. The u-value simply represents how effective that material is at preventing heat from travelling through it. The lower the u-value, the better insulating properties it has.

Maybe it is worth you checking out the u-value of this foil stuff for a certain thickness (lets say 100mm thick)

Glassfibre or rockwool insulation has a u-value around 0.044, for 100mm thickness. Whereas PIR rigid foam insulation has a u-value of 0.022. This means that 50mm thick PIR insulation is equivalent to 100mm thickness of glassfibre wool or rockwool.

Knowing the u-value will also help you decide how much insulation you really need for it to be effective.

There is an excellent step-by-step guide on "How to insulate and board your loft". Spam removed. Mod 2

I hope this helps,

Jamie
Someone-Else

Foill insulation

Post by Someone-Else »

DIYBlogUK wrote: Mon Feb 28, 2022 12:28 pmI hope this helps,
Not really, since the post was made nearly 3 years ago, and the OP stopped posting over a year ago.
Above are my opinions Below is my signature.

Would you hit a nail with a shoe because you don't have a hammer? of course not, then why work on anything electrical without a means of testing Click Here to buy a "tester" just because it works, does NOT mean it is safe.

:mrgreen: If gloom had a voice, it would be me.

:idea1: Click Here for a video how to add/change pictures

Inept people use the QUOTE BUTTON instead of the QUICK REPLY section :-)

Return to “Energy Saving”