600 x 600 LED Panel Light's

Energy saving questions in here please

Moderator: Moderators

crissyb
BANNED
Has thanked: 0

600 x 600 LED Panel Light's

Post by crissyb »

Hi im new to this web site, i came across it when one of our IT team came across it, im not here to advertise etc. but if any one would like to ask me questions on led light's etc please feel free? brands to aviod etc i deal with led lighting and other types of work day to day and i do get these items at good price's

im looking forward to using this website for tip's and answers my self

we have just fitted 45Watt 600 x 600 LED Panel Light's on our office's i was woundering if any one else has used these and what they think of them ?
i was suprised at the quality of light and how diffrent they are from the standard ones are will update you on how our electric bills differ lol we fiited 25 in total
BillyGoat
Troll Headbutter

Re: 600 x 600 LED Panel Light's

Post by BillyGoat »

:welcomeuhm:

What's the light like......the more LED stuff I try, the less decided I am about the quality of light. Always seems to be a tradeoff in temp, brightness or headaches with flicker of somesort.

BG
Arguing with a woman is like reading a Software Licence Agreement.
In the end, you ignore everything and click "I agree".
crissyb
BANNED

Post by crissyb »

hi billygoat
there are some brands that are still using cheap led etc which give off yellow colour lights and flicker when turning them on/off

ill take a picture of the ones we are using, we have tested them over 9 months and had no problems also theirs a 5year guarantee
the light as if we have skylights we had 6 old 600 x 600 lights in one room and when we fitted the led panels we found we only needed 4

Uploading a short video not sure if it shows how good the lighting is but as you can see their instant and no flickers ,
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mqcxLi9VfPs&f[/youtube]
kellys_eye

Post by kellys_eye »

It's all about cost. How do the figures work out when taking into account purchase cost vs electricity saved? How long before the buyer breaks even?

Like most 'green' energy schemes the figures are usually measured in YEARS if not decades. This isn't practical or affordable for most people. If and when costs come down to match existing devices and light output (and lifespan) THEN I'd be interested. Can't see this happening for a couple of years yet.
Don't take it personally......
crissyb
BANNED

Post by crissyb »

yeah i agree with you kellys_eye,

the led lighting is fairly new and for the general public the cost is way too much at the moment, as for commercial side if you were running these 12 hours a day i personally have +'s
a few more years in . Their will be better quality led's and hopefully cheaper
ultimatehandyman
Site Admin

Post by ultimatehandyman »

I recently fitted 12 LED lamps in the kitchen that replaced 50w halogens, I worked it out that in a year the lamps would pay for themselves, these were not cheap LED’s either and give just as good a light but use approximately 1/10 of the electricity.

A few days back I bought a LED floodlight to replace a halogen floodlight at the back of the house, I think I paid about £40 for it which is cheap for a LED floodlight. It came prewired with a plug so I tried it and the light looked extremely bright, I’ll put it up when I get chance (probably next year).

Welcome to the forum BTW crissyb :hello2:
big-all
Pro Carpenter

Post by big-all »

whilst saving costs and the planet is the main aim and payback being an important factor there is the added benefit off sod it i wont worry about chasing people round turning lights off after them as it will save less than 10p a week or possibly 20p if you have lots off down lighters :lol: :lol:
we are all ------------------still learning
BillyGoat
Troll Headbutter

Post by BillyGoat »

ultimatehandyman wrote:I recently fitted 12 LED lamps in the kitchen that replaced 50w halogens, I worked it out that in a year the lamps would pay for themselves, these were not cheap LED’s either and give just as good a light but use approximately 1/10 of the electricity.
What did you get?

I ordered 10X LED from another thread....think they were daylight (not the cold blue, not halogen). I KINDOF liked them, but the missis gave then a big 2 fingers up.

They are now illuminating my mother in laws kitchen and my parents conservatory VERY well.

It's ALWAYS the temperature of the light that lets LED down for me.
kellys_eye

Post by kellys_eye »

Halogen downlights are very common despite their obvious failings and ANY other form of lighting would be more cost effective! In my experience the claims for 50,000+ hours reliability are also misleading as, whilst the might still be 'lit' after 50k hours, the light they produce will be cr@p - this happens after only a few 1,000 hours use in my experience - highly disappointing.

Another bug bear is claimed light output - without a universally accepted method of measurement (beam angle, distance, candela, watts, lumens etc) the public can't make on-the-box comparisons so will never get the right product/deal.
BillyGoat
Troll Headbutter

Post by BillyGoat »

kellys_eye wrote:Another bug bear is claimed light output - without a universally accepted method of measurement (beam angle, distance, candela, watts, lumens etc) the public can't make on-the-box comparisons so will never get the right product/deal.
It's funny you should mention that....HOW is the general populous meant to make an informed choice when you see packaging like this on the shelves in Tesco......
Tesco LED.jpg
Tesco LED.jpg (159.78 KiB) Viewed 5283 times
Took that about a week ago when I was in the local Tesco Direct (mmmm Costa).

If they can't even get that right, what hope has anyone else?

BG
ultimatehandyman
Site Admin

Post by ultimatehandyman »

These are similar to the ones I bought- http://bit.ly/TZq1tZ
big-all
Pro Carpenter

Post by big-all »

325 lumins is 25w equivilent although the lumins seem to be better lumins on leds :lol:
i normally say 12w =100w normal although you will get away with 1-9 ratio so 1w=9 2w=18 3w=27 4w=36 5w= 45 up to 10=90 11=99
now they are improving so the ratio is probably now nearer 1 to13 14 or15 so 3w= 39 42w or 45
we are all ------------------still learning
kellys_eye

Post by kellys_eye »

Problem still is 'lumens as measured from WHERE? or HOW' Each manufacturer uses different measurement techniques to define their product therefore, as I said, you don't know exactly what it is you're getting for your money.
crissyb
BANNED

Post by crissyb »

how much did you pay for 12 led lamps ultimatehandyman, if you dont mind me asking ?
i found a really good brand that i have used for some time now called Hispec
Buy 10 or more for £7.74 Each Inc Vat

5watt lamps ?
markocosic
Newly registered Member
Been thanked: 0

Post by markocosic »

Lumens are lumens big-all.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lumen_(unit)

The only way to come up with a different "measurement" is to lie, and sadly when it comes to CFLs and LEDs the manufacturers lie routinely. Or rate the LEDs whilst they're in the freezer at -20C!

Colour temperature is easy enough, but it's colour rendering index (CRI) where most LEDs (and single phosphor/tri-phosphor flourescents) fall down compared with halogens:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Color_rendering_index

Women *are* usually more sensitive to colour. Most incandescents are inherently good. Most fluorescents are awful; not using enough phosphors to achieve good output. Some are fantastic: sylvania Activa 172 T8s in HF fittings take some beating. Similar story with LEDs; most employing just a handful of chips rather than a broad spectrum.

Mind you: LEDs are cheap enough to experiment now though: I've been impressed by these US$11.50 (inc post) 10W outdoor floods:

http://www.******.com/item/10W-LED- ... 11031.html

And will probably try LED downlighters in the garage at US$2.35 each in 100s or US$3 each in 20s, again inc post:

http://www.******.com/item/Wholesal ... 84394.html

http://www.******.com/item/holiday- ... 69680.html

Doing business with the Chinese is refreshing as a punter. Unlike eBay (US/Euro style) where the buyers trust the seller to send the goods (you send the seller the money before they send the goods), with ****** (and the skeptical Chinese web shopper) you send an intermediary (******) the money first. They then instruct the seller to ship the goods, and when you've received them AND are satisfied with them, you tell the intermediary (******) to release the money to the seller.

Return to “Energy Saving”