Energy saving audit/help. Free bulbs.

Energy saving questions in here please

Moderator: Moderators

Rorschach

Post by Rorschach »

My mother recently had a visit from the local council as part of energy saving/home help type thing. I was present to assist if needed and check on things etc.

They replaced all the light bulbs in the house for high quality LED versions (3 year warranty too). Fit one of those energy monitor things to your supply and then go through all sorts of things in the house seeing where you are eligible for grants for insulation, new boiler etc.

I was a little sceptical before they arrived but the two ladies were very friendly, knowledgeable and most importantly they were not pushy at all. They completely agreed that a smart meter will not save money and would be a waste of time based on her current circumstances. They found several areas where my mother might be able to get some savings off her bill and are looking into the possibility of a free new boiler and maybe some insulation too.

They replaced almost 40 light bulbs in the house and left a couple extra in case we wanted to make certain areas brighter. She could have also had some plumbing upgrades such as thermostatic RAD valves fitted though we declined this as it would be a waste on this house.

I don't know if your local council is doing anything similar but might be worth looking into. They offered to come and do the same for me but after a chat they conceded there probably wasn't much more they could do than replace a few bulbs as I am pretty tight on everything else.
These users thanked the author Rorschach for the post:
big-all
Rating: 7.14%
wine~o

Re: Energy saving audit/help. Free bulbs.

Post by wine~o »

No hope of that in Hampshire or Dorset...

When you say "local" council do you mean County council or town council ?
Verwood Handyman

If you feel you have benefited from the Free advice given on the Forum, Please consider making a donation to UHM's Nominated charity, read all about it and donate here :

http://www.donnasdreamhouse.co.uk
Rorschach

Re: Energy saving audit/help. Free bulbs.

Post by Rorschach »

It would be town council I suppose.
They said there were schemes going on all over the country but I guess it all depends on where you live. Our area would probably be classed as a more deprived area as we have a lot of council houses around etc.
ericmark

Post by ericmark »

Both Flintshire and Powys it seems have some thing called care and repair, and there are also some other things most have an amount of means checking, but some things it seems down to age.

Return to “Energy Saving”