Coving and tiles in Bathroom

Plastering questions and answers here please

Moderator: Moderators

DIYnot23
Newly registered Member

Coving and tiles in Bathroom

Post by DIYnot23 »

Hi all,

I guess this plastering forum is the most appropriate place to ask this.

We are about to start refurbishing or bathroom and we would like to put 127mm standard coving up.

The room will have some painted walls and some ceramic tiled walls and I would like to have a consistent 10mm where the coving profile starts. I can think of a couple of ways to achieve this:

A) We tile right up to the ceiling and then apply the coving to the ceiling & face of tile.
B) We fit 100mm strips of 9mm thick plasterboard, cove to that and run the tile to the underside.

Can anybody think a better way to achieve this? or if we go with A or B which adhesive or fixing methods you would go for.

Cheers!
davyp1

Re: Coving and tiles in Bathroom

Post by davyp1 »

B) - Is fine.

I always used to use 'Coving adhesive' but in the last few years have used 'No-more-nails' gunned on in a couple of lines where the coving contacts with the wall.

In your prep for the tiling, be sure to really good clean the existing tiles you intend to tile over. I always applied diluted PVA brushed on existing tiles immediately before tiling. I realise some people will disagree with that, but it always worked for me.

Work out your cuts (top & bottom) before you start. Idealy you don't want either of these cuts to be less than a half tile.
Once decided, pin a level lath to all walls to support the first row of complete tiles. The do the cuts last.

Davyp1
DIYnot23
Newly registered Member

Post by DIYnot23 »

Thanks davyp1,

We're not tiling over any existing tiles?

I prefer the B) option and i'm not wasting money on tiles which would then be covered up.

So if i go with B) and fix strips of plasterboard where the coving is going, what's best to fix with (plasterboard to old plaster)? I will probably then fix the coving on top of this with cove adhesive and a few screws for luck!
davyp1

Post by davyp1 »

DIYnot23 wrote:Thanks davyp1,

We're not tiling over any existing tiles?

I prefer the B) option and i'm not wasting money on tiles which would then be covered up.

So if i go with B) and fix strips of plasterboard where the coving is going, what's best to fix with (plasterboard to old plaster)? I will probably then fix the coving on top of this with cove adhesive and a few screws for luck!
Cove adhesive is fine for both, or any of the No-nails-type adhesive. Although as I mentioned, I like the gun adhesive better as it seems to have more grab!
I have not used screws or nails as temporary fixings for coving for years.

Davyp1
These users thanked the author davyp1 for the post:
DIYnot23
Rating: 7.14%
wine~o

Post by wine~o »

deffo method 2. you don't want coving over the tiles, if the tiles ever have to come off then so does the coving,

Had a job a couple of years ago removing wallpaper and re-decorating. Coving was applied over the wallpaper :? :?

At least a stanley knife went through the wallpaper...
Verwood Handyman

If you feel you have benefited from the Free advice given on the Forum, Please consider making a donation to UHM's Nominated charity, read all about it and donate here :

http://www.donnasdreamhouse.co.uk

Return to “Plastering Forum”