Plastering questions and answers here please

Moderator: Moderators

Jimmcd
Newly registered Member
Been thanked: 0

Removing tiles. Very crumbly wall.

Post by Jimmcd »

Hi forum, I hope you can help.
I'm removing tiles in my kitchen and refitting a new kitchen. The mortar is very sandy (sand and cement?) behind the tiles. In some parts its coming off in chunks.

Does this all need to be removed. I hope not as I wasn't planning on this being a massive job. Or taking walls back to brick.
I've been a secondary school DT teacher for 20 years, but might have bitten off more than I can chew with this.

I'm hoping I can plaster over this sand? I've successfully plastered 2 other walls but that was over old plaster / concrete.

Many thanks.
dewaltdisney

Post by dewaltdisney »

Just hack off the loose stuff and leave the firm bits intact. It sounds like the cement-based scratch coat has blown and you need to get it stable. Get it level with some bonding so you can tile over. You should have started this earlier with schools going back next week :lol: Recruit some of the kids to come and help do some of the grunt work to acquire workplace experience. I recall that back in the 60's, at the school I was at, the school dopes got put on painting and maintenance duties. It actually really worked for them as they were interested and I think they all went on to be trade.

DWD
These users thanked the author dewaltdisney for the post:
Jimmcd (Sun Mar 21, 2021 4:18 pm)
Rating: 7.14%
Jimmcd
Newly registered Member
Been thanked: 0

Post by Jimmcd »

Thank you

I'm mad to be starting this late in lockdown. I'm going to bond it and then plaster over - many thanks

Return to “Plastering Forum”