Plastering questions and answers here please

Moderator: Moderators

l00ey
Been thanked: 0

Possible asbestos in plaster

Post by l00ey »

Rorschach wrote:
Sun Jul 19, 2020 7:28 pm
Well firstly I think it highly unlike it is asbestos, but even if it is, why does it matter? If you are covering the area, leave it, won't do any harm. If you need to remove it, cut to either side of it, spray it with water and then wrap it in plastic and bin it, no worries.
Let's say it was asbestos, wouldn't it have to be disposed of as contaminated waste, not the bin?
Also, as there is so much fibreglass, and I don't want to go raking round in that, I don't know if bits have broken off.
Rorschach

Post by Rorschach »

Where do you think asbestos goes? Landfill. So just wrap it in plastic and put it in your bin. Or cover it up.
ayjay

Post by ayjay »

l00ey wrote:
Mon Jul 20, 2020 6:15 pm

The bit not in the picture is plain old gypsum non asbestos plasterboard, it's only the white bit that is on top of the pink plasterboard, (see top right of circle to right, you can see the difference in colour.

I think we're starting to get somewhere, (but it's mighty slow). So, if you fold that back, you have the original surface of the piece of plasterboard that's facing the camera. I can't comment on the colour, I can see darker and lighter, but nothing I'd call pink.

You can see that the old owner has splurged it on.............

Nothing has been splurged on - what you can see is the original core of the plasterboard still attached to to the paper facing of the board. The hole has not been neatly drilled, it's been smashed through with one or two blows from a hammer - when you do that, what was in the hole doesn't end up on the floor in a pile of dust as it would if you drilled the hole, it just splays back out of the way still attached to the paper facing.

I see pink if I fold it back,............................... I know you say to forget the fibreglass but there is so much exposed its dusty and dry and gets right on my chest.

The fact that you can fold it back just proves my point above about how the hole was created and why it looks like it does - the fibreglass is irrelevant to the hole or any asbestos, (there is no asbestos).

What was being filled? The gap between the pipe and the hole.

Then why is there no filler in the gap? Why isn't the filler at least hiding the edge opposite face of the plasterboard? I can answer that - because there is no filler, it's the original core of the plasterboard.
One day it will all be firewood.
l00ey

Post by l00ey »

ayjay wrote:
Mon Jul 20, 2020 8:56 pm
l00ey wrote:
Mon Jul 20, 2020 6:15 pm

The bit not in the picture is plain old gypsum non asbestos plasterboard, it's only the white bit that is on top of the pink plasterboard, (see top right of circle to right, you can see the difference in colour.

I think we're starting to get somewhere, (but it's mighty slow). So, if you fold that back, you have the original surface of the piece of plasterboard that's facing the camera. I can't comment on the colour, I can see darker and lighter, but nothing I'd call pink.

You can see that the old owner has splurged it on.............

Nothing has been splurged on - what you can see is the original core of the plasterboard still attached to to the paper facing of the board. The hole has not been neatly drilled, it's been smashed through with one or two blows from a hammer - when you do that, what was in the hole doesn't end up on the floor in a pile of dust as it would if you drilled the hole, it just splays back out of the way still attached to the paper facing.

I see pink if I fold it back,............................... I know you say to forget the fibreglass but there is so much exposed its dusty and dry and gets right on my chest.

The fact that you can fold it back just proves my point above about how the hole was created and why it looks like it does - the fibreglass is irrelevant to the hole or any asbestos, (there is no asbestos).

What was being filled? The gap between the pipe and the hole.

Then why is there no filler in the gap? Why isn't the filler at least hiding the edge opposite face of the plasterboard? I can answer that - because there is no filler, it's the original core of the plasterboard.
Sorry but there is filler.
If you could come to my flat you would see that there is white filler on top of pink plasterboard.
Maybe I wasnt clear, everywhere else on the board is pink, it's not clear in the picture, but if you were to come and see it with the naked eye, you would see that white filler has been placed on top of the plasterboard.
ahfix

Post by ahfix »

l00ey what outcome are you expecting from this thread? We all seem to be going around in circles.

ah
ayjay

Post by ayjay »

l00ey wrote:
Mon Jul 20, 2020 10:11 pm

Sorry but there is filler.
If you could come to my flat you would see that there is white filler on top of pink plasterboard.
Maybe I wasnt clear, everywhere else on the board is pink, it's not clear in the picture, but if you were to come and see it with the naked eye, you would see that white filler has been placed on top of the plasterboard.
I can do no more, I'm 100% certain that your photo shows nothing more than a hole in a piece of plasterboard, the plaster/filler or whatever you care to call it is nothing more than the original core of the plasterboard. I've already outlined the dynamics of what happens when a hole is created in such a way as this one was, and that is exactly what I'm seeing, nothing more and nothing less.
One day it will all be firewood.
toolbox

Post by toolbox »

Bit of plasterboard, hardboard, ply or an old ceramic tile. nice big splodge of no nails, plaster or tile adhesive on the back push over the hole, give it a wiggle. Wedge/ tape in position till dried job done! :thumbright:
yartin

Post by yartin »

In 2005, I had extension built which included removing asbestos garage roof. The garage floor was raised by a couple of inches of concrete. The builder said he disposed the asbestos safely but I think he buried it in the concret.
fin

Post by fin »

that will have been fairly common. i once not long ago saw a bloke smashing up an asbestos garage roof with a hammer whilst wearing a paper dust mask.. the nugget :lol: i deffo kept me distance that day.

that hole as has been said is deffinately deffinately just a hole thats been bashed through with a hammer. canny rough like but that is all that it is
These users thanked the author fin for the post (total 2):
ayjay (Wed Jul 22, 2020 10:17 pm) • l00ey (Tue Jul 28, 2020 12:56 pm)
Rating: 14.29%
l00ey

Post by l00ey »

fin wrote:
Wed Jul 22, 2020 6:56 pm
that will have been fairly common. i once not long ago saw a bloke smashing up an asbestos garage roof with a hammer whilst wearing a paper dust mask.. the nugget :lol: i deffo kept me distance that day.

that hole as has been said is deffinately deffinately just a hole thats been bashed through with a hammer. canny rough like but that is all that it is
Hi I know you can't see it well though the photo, but there is a definite blob of white filler on top of the non asbestos gypsum. I can see why you all think its just plasterboard bashed through with a hammer, the camera doesn't show up the white well against the pink, but in the flesh if any of you were to see it, you would see what I mean. Pink plasterboard rough, but white plaster splodged on top. Thanks though.
ahfix

Post by ahfix »

l00ey wrote:
Tue Jul 28, 2020 12:58 pm
fin wrote:

Hi I know you can't see it well though the photo, but there is a definite blob of white filler on top of the non asbestos gypsum. I can see why you all think its just plasterboard bashed through with a hammer, the camera doesn't show up the white well against the pink, but in the flesh if any of you were to see it, you would see what I mean. Pink plasterboard rough, but white plaster splodged on top. Thanks though.
Did you send a sample away for testing?

ah
wine~o

Post by wine~o »

It's not asbestos L00ey. It's a piece of plasterboard.
Verwood Handyman

Verwood Handyman

If you feel you have benefited from the Free advice given on the Forum, Please consider making a donation to UHM's Nominated charity, read all about it and donate here :

http://www.donnasdreamhouse.co.uk
l00ey

Post by l00ey »

ahfix wrote:
Tue Jul 28, 2020 4:05 pm
l00ey wrote:
Tue Jul 28, 2020 12:58 pm
fin wrote:

Did you send a sample away for testing?

ah
Not yet, there are different substances used, some white sparkly stuff at top of velux window, dunno if he used it for tile grout, can't get big enough sample. Not been in roof space as the fibreglass makes me cough and when I open the door, particles fill the air.

Return to “Plastering Forum”