Plastering questions and answers here please

Moderator: Moderators

SUPPORTER
Newly registered Member
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

loose plasterboard walls

Post by SUPPORTER »

I have two slightly loose plasterboard walls in my living room and bedroom. They are both in good condition and have not caused any problem until recently when I have started to get vibration nose from the gap between the plasterboard and what is behind. (The walls are both party walls - I live in a flat.)

It has been suggested that holes could be drilled through the walls and adhesive could be injected through the holes to secure the wall. However other builders have told me the whole plasterboard internal wall would have to be taken off and then stuck back on. I would much prefer to have the holes drilled if this technique would work and would not affect the structural integrity of the party wall?

Has anyone had any experience of this kind of job? Also, I am not sure if I have to get party wall agreement for this type of work? I have checked the regulations and they mention damp proof courses would have to have agreement but no mention of injecting adhesives? Any advice would be greatly appreciated!
Rorschach

loose plasterboard walls

Post by Rorschach »

Depends how the boards are fixed, I am going to assume it's dot and dab if if it has come loose. You could screw it on but really the fix depends on how big an area is loose.
dewaltdisney

loose plasterboard walls

Post by dewaltdisney »

What they were thinking of probably was pumping some expanding foam in. See https://www.screwfix.com/p/no-nonsense- ... 50ml/4108h This stuff expands and sticks to both surfaces. It would stop vibration and cushion the panel but you have to be careful putting too much in as you might get a bump as it expands. Alertanives to this may be beyond your skillset and that involves cutting access in the board and screwing some spacer blocks and securing the board that way. There will be making good involved using this approach.

DWD
wes56

loose plasterboard walls

Post by wes56 »

It seems you are in a ground floor flat and the masonry party wall & some dot and dab boards are loose. Why not make certain what kind of wall you have?
Maybe you only have to remove and/or replace the two loose boards?
How the damp course comes into the picture i dont see?
I dont get the recent vibration noise either - unless your neighbour has recently had a drilled and injected DPC?
Is there a chimney breast on the wall?

Can you post photos of the wall and loose boards?
SUPPORTER
Newly registered Member

loose plasterboard walls

Post by SUPPORTER »

Many thanks for the responses. It is a first floor flat. just to clarify it is the thin plasterboard internal wall covering that is loose on the walls. (I don't think this was installed properly when the flats were built). It now needs to be stuck to the wall behind. The vibration noise is particularly bad when I put on the storage heaters as the warm air circulates around the gap between the internal wall covering and the wall behind. I can't show you photos as there is nothing to see on the plasterboard walls.
ayjay

loose plasterboard walls

Post by ayjay »

You need to ascertain what is behind the plasterboard. You could try taking off an electrical socket or a switch and maybe you can see what's there, or poke a slim screwdriver through somewhere and see how far it goes in.
One day it will all be firewood.
wes56

loose plasterboard walls

Post by wes56 »

Your post is confusing - why mention a DPC. What regulations?
There's lots to see on p/b walls if you are experienced - esp p/b walls with heaters and maybe doorways.
SUPPORTER
Newly registered Member

loose plasterboard walls

Post by SUPPORTER »

Apologies for the confusion! I was referring to party wall regulations which stipulate that you need to get permission from your neighbour if you are putting in damp proof courses. I wasn't sure if the same rules apply to injecting adhesives. Not to worry I will take this up with the freeholder who is also the building contractor - hopefully they will know what is behind the plasterboard! Thanks all for responding!

Return to “Plastering Forum”