Moderator: Moderators

Why Did I Try To DIY
Newly registered Member
Been thanked: 0

Tips for replacing kitchen unit doors

Post by Why Did I Try To DIY »

Hi all...

My first post on here, so please don't bee too brutal :wink:

I have an old kitchen that i'm looking to renovate and do most of this myself. I'm going to keep the unit carcasses and replace the doors, drawers and panels where possible. After measuring the old doors i've noticed that some door unit differ in height from the standard pre-fabricated versions by as much as 15mm in some cases, though often it's around 5mm too long or short.

My questions are:
a) if the new door/panels still fit, is it better to get ones that overhang slightly than panels too short? My theory is the overhang will look less unsightly than the shorter ones that expose the carcass underbelly

b) should i ignore option a) and ensure all doors are an exact fit by ordering made to measure?

c) If the doors are slightly different sizes to the old ones, do i need to measure 'top downwards' for determining where the hinge holes should be? (ie - measure from top of panel to 1st hole centre, then 1st hole centre to 2nd hole centre)

d) are there any other gotchya's or tips i should learn to help when buying/fitting the doors?

I've a reasonable amount of all-round DIY skills (fitted my bathroom), but never undertaken something that has this expensive / precise finish in terms of looking right as a whole

Apologies if i missed a thread on this, but i could't find one. Please feel free to link to it, or any websites that have these tips and hints on

Many thanks for your help :thumbright:
Rorschach

Post by Rorschach »

Given the amount of variation you seem to have in door sizes it would likely to be cheaper to replace the lot. A whole unit from most of the normal suppliers is a lot cheaper than a made to measure door.
These users thanked the author Rorschach for the post:
Why Did I Try To DIY (Thu Oct 03, 2019 1:25 pm)
Rating: 7.14%
Why Did I Try To DIY
Newly registered Member
Been thanked: 0

Post by Why Did I Try To DIY »

Thanks for the rapid reply.

I had managed to source a set of replacement doors for about £425(ish), which i think might be more like £500 when it's made to measure. I'll definitely take a look at your suggestion, but i was thinking it'd be 7+ unit carcasses, so bound to be more in terms of ££, time & complexity (ie- things to go wrong)

If anyone else has any comments regarding door replacement tips then please don't hold back :-)
dewaltdisney

Post by dewaltdisney »

Hunt around the internet for made to measure replacements as the cost difference can be quite a bit between different firms. I think that bespoke doors is the best way to go.

DWD
Rorschach

Post by Rorschach »

Definitely look around and work out the costs. If the kitchen is old enough that the doors need replacing though, are the carcasses in good condition?

Return to “Kitchen Fitting”