Corner sink base unit to fit 1.5 bowl sink

Questions about fitting kitchens in here please

Moderator: Moderators

propercopperkettle
Newly registered Member

Corner sink base unit to fit 1.5 bowl sink

Post by propercopperkettle »

I've got a Wren kitchen on order and have opted to source all my appliances etc. Got everything but the kitchen sink and taps.

It's an L shape kitchen and the sink is going to be near the corner. I have a 1000mm sink base unit going in the corner. The plan is to have the draining board over the dishwasher to the right. I asked when doing the design which size of sink this base unit would accommodate and was told to look for single bowl sinks to fit cabinet of 500mm.

I get that this means the bowl will sit in half of the unit. Is there anything to stop me having a 1.5 bowl, I appreciate that it means taking up more than half but since i have 1000mm is there any reason not to do this?

Theres a pipe boxing right in the corner so the base unit would sit up against this and not the wall, I will attempt to upload an image of the plan as that may describe the layout better.

Also in terms of granite composite sinks, any recommendations? Anything to avoid?

Thanks in advance. Image to follow...
propercopperkettle
Newly registered Member

Re: Corner sink base unit to fit 1.5 bowl sink

Post by propercopperkettle »

Image of corner units
Attachments
20190330_222700.jpg
20190330_222700.jpg (241.79 KiB) Viewed 2992 times
arco_iris

Re: Corner sink base unit to fit 1.5 bowl sink

Post by arco_iris »

propercopperkettle wrote:since i have 1000mm is there any reason not to do this?
The very short answer is 'no'.

1000 wide carcases often have a central bar (at what would be drawer height) the pimary use for which is to support drawer runners, but also adds strength, as you have no drawers in this unit this could be left out on assembly. Or, cut out if the unit is pre-assembled. Either way, this could cause you a problem if you are going for drawer-line style (will be OK for hi-line).

BUT have you identified a suitable sink? 1.5 bowls WITH drainer usually have the half bowl between the main bowl & the drainer, won't this put your main bowl too far to the left?

Of course, you could use an 1.5 bowls-only with the half on the left, and NOT have one with a drainer, just use the worktop. (Granite or composite worktops can have drainage grooves machined in to them if using built under sinks).

No comment to make re. your sink question. Our house has a Carron Phoenix one that's twenty years old and as good as the day it was fitted - so better than stainless steel, IMHO.

Return to “Kitchen Fitting”