re-hang kitchen/fridge door

Questions about fitting kitchens in here please

Moderator: Moderators

Solo86
Newly registered Member
Been thanked: 0

re-hang kitchen/fridge door

Post by Solo86 »

The kitchen was fitted in 2007 and the wooden kitchen door that fits onto the fridge door is not hanging properly and making it difficult to shut the fridge properly.
Either hat or the Fridge door needs adjustment?
I'm not sure how to correct this problem. Has anyone any experience with this type of door?

I've posted the job on 'Rated People' but no one seems interested. I will have a go myself if somebody can tell me what I need to do.
I've posted some photos below.

Regards
Peter

Job and Knock
Old School Chippie

Re: re-hang kitchen/fridge door

Post by Job and Knock »

The first port of call, I assume, would be the fridge manufacturer as they are generally the suppliers of the fixing kits for their fridges.

As to no responses, I'm not overly surprised - TT charge you (as a tradesman) for all leads and TBH this problem looks likely to be a headscratcher which will probably consume a lot of time but yield little financial reward. I learned to avoid "simple jobs" om there years ago because they could end up costing me more than i could earn from them, or because it was someone who was testing the water rather than a firm requirement (and what's the point of three guys going after a smoke and mirrors job - and paying for the privelege). I'd suggest that a local handyman who advertises might be a better place to look for a cabinet wallah
These users thanked the author Job and Knock for the post:
Solo86
Rating: 7.14%
"The person who never made a mistake, never made anything" - Albert Einstein

"I too will something make, And joy in the making" - Robert Bridges, 1844~1930

"The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.” - Bertrand Russell from The Triumph of Stupidity", 1933
Dave54

Post by Dave54 »

I really don't know anything about that type of fitting.
Looks as if the outer wooden "kitchen" door is hinged off the body of the fridge, with the actual "fridge door" attached to the kitchen door?
In that case it would seem to me (and i may be wrong) that the location of the fridge "body" is important to ensure the outer door can close and is "in line"
So has the fridge body moved, and should there be a screw in the bracket that appears to be to attach the fridge to the underside of the worktop in the middle pic?
As I say that's only a guess. I may be miles off!
Whatever you do, make sure you understand exactly how everything should work before doing anything.
These users thanked the author Dave54 for the post:
Solo86
Solo86
Newly registered Member
Been thanked: 0

Post by Solo86 »

Thanks for the advice guys. I thought that it might be a long shot that someone would recognise that fitting and know how to adjust it.

Dave54 said
So has the fridge body moved, and should there be a screw in the bracket that appears to be to attach the fridge to the underside of the worktop in the middle pic?
Well spotted. that could be what has happened.
Regards
Peter
Job and Knock
Old School Chippie

Post by Job and Knock »

Dave54 wrote:In that case it would seem to me (and i may be wrong) that the location of the fridge "body" is important to ensure the outer door can close and is "in line"
That's certainly the case with the Neff fridges and fridge/freezers I was installing earlier this summer. In their case there are combined plastic locators (spacers) and fixing brackets to allow you to position the fridge body precisely within the carcase, but they the locators are on snap-off tabs which must be removed once installation is completed to allow the door to close. So if you ever take a fridge or fridge/freezer out you either need to get hold of a replacement fitting kit (possibly difficult after 10 years, I'd say) or you need to hold onto the original instructions if they contained dimensions
These users thanked the author Job and Knock for the post:
Dave54
"The person who never made a mistake, never made anything" - Albert Einstein

"I too will something make, And joy in the making" - Robert Bridges, 1844~1930

"The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.” - Bertrand Russell from The Triumph of Stupidity", 1933

Return to “Kitchen Fitting”