Making kitchen drawers from MFC

Questions about fitting kitchens in here please

Moderator: Moderators

John_B
Newly registered Member
Been thanked: 0

Making kitchen drawers from MFC

Post by John_B »

In the past when making drawers I've used wood and dovetailed the corners but for my current project I want to use MFC.
I will use 15mm MFC from Kronospan for the sides but not sure what to use for the base.
Will 15mm MFC work for a 650 by 900 drawer holding pots and pans?
Should I rebate the sides to take the base or is it better just dowelled and screwed.
Any help/advice gratefully received.
dewaltdisney

Re: Making kitchen drawers from MFC

Post by dewaltdisney »

These Screwfix drawer systems work well with MFC. https://www.screwfix.com/p/drawer-system-450mm/16338 I have used them a few times over the years for various projects and they all did the trick and looked well. Have a look at this site which does a lot of Hafele stuff https://www.manddonline.co.uk/index.php ... o=&x=0&y=0 Some cage type drawers for pots and pans can be silly money

DWD
These users thanked the author dewaltdisney for the post:
John_B
Rating: 7.14%
John_B
Newly registered Member

Post by John_B »

Thanks but these systems come with runners. I already have BLUM MOVENTO runners that I want to fit my new drawers to.
Job and Knock
Old School Chippie

Post by Job and Knock »

Kronospan and Egger both do MF-MDF and MF-MFC for drawer bottoms in 8mm thickness specifically for drawer bottoms, but personally for drawers to take heavy loads, such as pan drawers, I think it is too thin and likely to bow over time so I'd go for the 15mm or 18mm for the bases despite the slight loss of height.

I feel that bases are best dowelled/screwed to the sides - it's what I did in the past when I made budget kitchen units, although I did make a point of edging the material with 2 or 3mm ABS or PVC edge banding (contact glued, trimmed flush then rounded over to a 1.6mm radius) as this is far more durable than the iron-on melamine edging normally used. TBH rebating MFC just leaves you with less material to fix through which I always think weakens the structure - plywood or solid wood is a different matter
These users thanked the author Job and Knock for the post:
John_B
"The person who never made a mistake, never made anything" - Albert Einstein

"I too will something make, And joy in the making" - Robert Bridges, 1844~1930

"The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.” - Bertrand Russell from The Triumph of Stupidity", 1933
John_B
Newly registered Member

Post by John_B »

Thanks for that info. very useful.
Now I need a new 10 inch blade for my table saw.
Does anybody know if the Axminster Premium triple chip blades are any good or would I be better with a Trend blade?
Job and Knock
Old School Chippie

Post by Job and Knock »

You may hate me for saying this, but the last lot of MFC i did was cut with a cheapo Saxton triple chip blade on a deWalt DW745 portable table saw! It wasn't bad. When I had a shop I used to buy Ernest Bennett (Sheffield), Atkinson-Walker (Sheffield), Leitz, Oppold, Stehle, Leuco and sometimes Freud (owned by Bosch) or Bosch (which are made by Freud AFAIK) - all manufacturers - rather than buy blades from a retailer who sticks their name on the front but who doesn't actually manufacture the blade (i.e Axminster and Trend). Personal bias, I know
John_B

"The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.” - Bertrand Russell from The Triumph of Stupidity", 1933
John_B
Newly registered Member

Post by John_B »

Freud seem to do a very useful blade the LU79R010 but I can only find it on American websites.
Do you know where to buy a UK equivalent with a 30mm bore?
Job and Knock
Old School Chippie

Post by Job and Knock »

You could always give Freud UK a ring to find out if they import it, or if they have an equivalent in their catalogue
John_B

Return to “Kitchen Fitting”