Extracting via chimney stack - do I need a liner?

Questions about fitting kitchens in here please

Moderator: Moderators

Geo79
Newly registered Member
Been thanked: 0

Extracting via chimney stack - do I need a liner?

Post by Geo79 »

Hi All,

We have recently moved into an edwardian semi and am in the process of updating the kitchen. Last owners built a hob into the opened out chimney breast but did not fit an extractor. I was planning to fit an extractor to vent up the stack with the assistance of the natural draw of the chimney as we had in a previous house where the chimney had a liner fitted.

Does anyone know whether or not I would need to fit a liner to extract kitchen fumes or would these be okay in the existing chimney? All and any thoughts welcome.

Thanks.
Job and Knock
Old School Chippie

Re: Extracting via chimney stack - do I need a liner?

Post by Job and Knock »

If nothing else I'd fit a liner because otherwise you'll be depositing grease and fat all the way up your chimney, but surely with a liner you'll get also better extraction?
These users thanked the author Job and Knock for the post:
Geo79
Rating: 7.14%
"The person who never made a mistake, never made anything" - Albert Einstein

"I too will something make, And joy in the making" - Robert Bridges, 1844~1930

"The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.” - Bertrand Russell from The Triumph of Stupidity", 1933
wes56

Re: Extracting via chimney stack - do I need a liner?

Post by wes56 »

if the chimney breast is on an outside wall you could vent out without going up the flue to the terminal?
as above, going up the flue needs a SS liner but first sweep and smoke test the flue and check the terminal on the stack is suitble. ext's usuly have a 100mm outlet.
you should get a powerful extractor hood and fix it 650mm elec or 750mm gas above the hob.
you might have to bring in elec or gas.
fix a hard wired alarm nearby.
These users thanked the author wes56 for the post:
Geo79
Rating: 7.14%

Return to “Kitchen Fitting”