Worktop lip / over hang

Questions about fitting kitchens in here please

Moderator: Moderators

timbo343
Newly registered Member
Been thanked: 0

Worktop lip / over hang

Post by timbo343 »

We are puttting together our own kitchen (units have been bought) and we have one side of the kitchen installed.

What i'd like to know is, when positioning the side with the work top, what space should i allow for the worktop to over hang from the base units.

The base units are 578mm with doors on, should i keep to a 600mm deep worktop to give me around 22mm over hang? We have a rounded worktop been installed so knowing how much to leave between a door recess and the first base unit would be great.

Our old kitchen had an over hang of 35mm,i thought i was a bit too much.
Job and Knock
Old School Chippie

Re: Worktop lip / over hang

Post by Job and Knock »

I've generally aimed for 20 to 25mm side overhang with a shallow curve into the front edge (to lessen the effect of bumping into a sharp, right angle corner) unless there is something like a freestanding fridge/freezer which will be going hard against the end of the unit
"The person who never made a mistake, never made anything" - Albert Einstein

"I too will something make, And joy in the making" - Robert Bridges, 1844~1930

"The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.” - Bertrand Russell from The Triumph of Stupidity", 1933
big-all
Pro Carpenter

Post by big-all »

also keep in mind
services at the back dictating where the cabinets will sit with minimal hacking to the back panels
also where the wall may need excess scribing at the back and the upstand may not cover
we are all ------------------still learning
timbo343
Newly registered Member
Been thanked: 0

Post by timbo343 »

Thanks, the units i have have a service void to the back, i think its about 50mm so we have scope to cut the carcas for pipes.

Return to “Kitchen Fitting”