Gas hob sizes - going for a slightly bigger replacement

Questions about fitting kitchens in here please

Moderator: Moderators

sahajesh
Newly registered Member

Post by sahajesh »

Hi,

Our house has an Electrolux EHG60412 gas hob (580mm x 500mm W x D) - hoping to replace this with a Neff T26CA42S0 (also gas) which is 590mm x 520mm.

The new hob will physically fit on the worktop (cutout may need extending) but the problem is the front and back clearance on the worktop specified by Neff (50mm front and back) won’t be possible.

Would this cause a problem, if so what? Would the fitter even fit this or maybe refuse to fit for safety reasons?

If we can’t use this, can anyone recommend a similar sized hob to the current one (which seems to be a non-standard size, it appears)?

Thanks
Sahajesh
big-all
Pro Carpenter

Post by big-all »

most normal worktops are between say 600-625 deep allowing for a bit off scribing so would be very unusual for a sightly bigger hob not to fit unless the worktop is overly cut or or a bizar unusual set up
clearance in front should be without question as its fresh air
where is the clearance messured from at the back is it from hob back edge 'underneath frame or burner ring on top ??
These users thanked the author big-all for the post:
sahajesh (Fri Jul 03, 2020 7:54 am)
Rating: 7.14%
we are all ------------------still learning
Chop

Post by Chop »

According to this fitting diagram the worktop must be minimum 600mm deep. If it is you're good to go I think.
Screenshot_20200702-075011_Samsung Internet.jpg
Screenshot_20200702-075011_Samsung Internet.jpg (182.58 KiB) Viewed 3951 times
:thumbleft:

The Barman says, "I'm sorry, we don't serve time travellers". This time traveller walks into a bar.
dewaltdisney

Post by dewaltdisney »

I was thinking of the logic about the hob placement on the worktop. Is it a safety issue, a fitting convenience, support, or just aesthetical? As far as safety goes a hob close to a tiled wall or splashback is not going to cause a problem. The fittings underneath need to be examined, is there a need to have room to manipulate the gas feed joints? It might be that the thought is providing an adequate strip of worktop to support the possible weight of the hob fully loaded with pans and liquids? Ot is just that it will look better in a more central position.

Have look at all those points and make a decision.

DWD
These users thanked the author dewaltdisney for the post:
sahajesh
Newly registered Member

Post by sahajesh »

dewaltdisney wrote: Thu Jul 02, 2020 7:23 am I was thinking of the logic about the hob placement on the worktop. Is it a safety issue, a fitting convenience, support, or just aesthetical? As far as safety goes a hob close to a tiled wall or splashback is not going to cause a problem. The fittings underneath need to be examined, is there a need to have room to manipulate the gas feed joints? It might be that the thought is providing an adequate strip of worktop to support the possible weight of the hob fully loaded with pans and liquids? Ot is just that it will look better in a more central position.

Have look at all those points and make a decision.

DWD
Thanks to all - I never thought about the support aspect, potentially a valid point and probably the most likely to be a factor.

I’ll double check the measurements - we were thinking of a new worktop anyway so perhaps better to do that first, ensuring it’s deeper to take into account the hob we want will be deeper as it has front controls, not side ones.
Chop

Post by Chop »

I've just noticed on your post the width is 590 and the depth is 520. The cutout depth for the new hob is 480-490 which will give you 60 or 55mm of material left at the front and back of the worktop. This is the 50mm requirement mentioned in the manual.
The visible worktop in front and at the back of the hob will be 40mm, this will be fine.
These users thanked the author Chop for the post:
:thumbleft:

The Barman says, "I'm sorry, we don't serve time travellers". This time traveller walks into a bar.
sahajesh
Newly registered Member

Post by sahajesh »

Chop wrote: Thu Jul 02, 2020 4:20 pm I've just noticed on your post the width is 590 and the depth is 520. The cutout depth for the new hob is 480-490 which will give you 60 or 55mm of material left at the front and back of the worktop. This is the 50mm requirement mentioned in the manual.
The visible worktop in front and at the back of the hob will be 40mm, this will be fine.
Having checked the diagram again....you're spot on! Thanks for pointing this out :cheers: :huray:
These users thanked the author sahajesh for the post:
Chop (Fri Jul 03, 2020 6:48 am)

Return to “Kitchen Fitting”