Kitchen Cupboard Problem

Questions about fitting kitchens in here please

Moderator: Moderators

Distorted Vision

Kitchen Cupboard Problem

Post by Distorted Vision »

The shelves in one of my kitchen cupboards collapsed. One of the back boards is loose. Is this a job that a joiner can do or do I need a kitchen fitter?

dewaltdisney

Kitchen Cupboard Problem

Post by dewaltdisney »

The shelf sits on a 34p push in shelf support like these https://www.ebay.co.uk/i/311881524572?chn=ps there will be a hole in the cabinet side for it.

Easy enough to sort yourself. If it is loose wrap some tape around the stud to make a tighter fit.

DWD
Distorted Vision

Kitchen Cupboard Problem

You misunderstood.

The backboard on the left hand side has come out of position. You can see the gap between the two backboards. How do I fix this backboard?
dewaltdisney

Kitchen Cupboard Problem

Post by dewaltdisney »

It looked like the shelf is resting on olive oil bottle. To access the back panels will mean taking the cabinet out and this might well be a difficult job to do as this cupboard is clearly part of a run. This monocoque design spreads the loads and holds the cabinet runs firm but it makes it hard to dismantle and you might find difficulty removing pelmets and the like. You need to get the work into perspective, this is one loose shelf in a cupboard that few will see the inside of so I would look to form three support legs out of some wood to hold the shelf up and do not overload the shelf in future.

DWD
Distorted Vision

Kitchen Cupboard Problem

Not a job I wish to undertake myself. Do I need a kitchen fitter or can a joiner do it?
dewaltdisney

Kitchen Cupboard Problem

Post by dewaltdisney »

You buy a bit of 2 by 1 wood and cut three equal lengths that you can glue to the back panels and rest the shelf on that. it really is not worth getting a tradesmen in for such a simple job. Go on, you can do it.

DWD
Someone-Else

Kitchen Cupboard Problem

Post by Someone-Else »

As dewaltdisney says, it will cost a small fortune to get a trades person to do the job, as to do it properly all of the kitchen units will have to come out, just to access the back, the alternative (again as dewaltdisney says) is to buy a length of 2 x 1 wood cut it into 3 lengths, each just taller than the bottle of O/0 and glue them, one in each corner.
Another idea would be to buy 2 more bottles of O/O and put them in the other two corners and take the shelf support out, so the shelf will rest on the bottles of O/O but I honestly think the timber will be cheaper.

Just checked, yes it will, Tesco 1L of O/O £3 and you need two, wood (stake on google, 99p)
These users thanked the author Someone-Else for the post:
dewaltdisney (Wed Apr 22, 2020 2:27 pm)
Rating: 7.14%
Above are my opinions Below is my signature.

Would you hit a nail with a shoe because you don't have a hammer? of course not, then why work on anything electrical without a means of testing Click Here to buy a "tester" just because it works, does NOT mean it is safe.

:mrgreen: If gloom had a voice, it would be me.

:idea1: Click Here for a video how to add/change pictures

Inept people use the QUOTE BUTTON instead of the QUICK REPLY section :-)
OchAye

Kitchen Cupboard Problem

Post by OchAye »

Distorted Vision wrote: Wed Apr 22, 2020 11:39 am Not a job I wish to undertake myself. Do I need a kitchen fitter or can a joiner do it?
I would not advice you to want the cabinet to be made as good as new, i.e. remove it, rebuilt it, etc, as that could cause more damage. If you are happy with a repair that you will not really see once you got things back in the cabinet, any competent handyman should be able to figure out an easy solution, you do not need a joiner or a kitchen fitter and it would not be worth their while or they would charge you a lot.
Distorted Vision

Kitchen Cupboard Problem

Heeded dewaltdisney's advice. Used 5 pieces per shelf. Rock solid:

These users thanked the author Distorted Vision for the post:
dewaltdisney (Wed Apr 22, 2020 3:48 pm)
Rating: 7.14%
dewaltdisney

Kitchen Cupboard Problem

Post by dewaltdisney »

Well done, easily sorted. Thanks for the update. I kind of liked SE's idea of the three Philipo Berio supports :lol:

DWD
kjones1829
BANNED
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Kitchen Cupboard Problem

Post by kjones1829 »

It looks pretty solid now. Did you glued it? Hoping that the divider well hold on for long. Maybe, avoid putting heavy items on the top portion.
Someone-Else

Kitchen Cupboard Problem

Post by Someone-Else »

Distorted Vision wrote: Heeded dewaltdisney's advice. Used 5 pieces per shelf. Rock solid:
Well done you, and to think, you first said
Distorted Vision wrote:Not a job I wish to undertake myself.
Nice, clear in focus pictures too.
Above are my opinions Below is my signature.

Would you hit a nail with a shoe because you don't have a hammer? of course not, then why work on anything electrical without a means of testing Click Here to buy a "tester" just because it works, does NOT mean it is safe.

:mrgreen: If gloom had a voice, it would be me.

:idea1: Click Here for a video how to add/change pictures

Inept people use the QUOTE BUTTON instead of the QUICK REPLY section :-)
Distorted Vision

Kitchen Cupboard Problem

kjones1829 wrote: Wed Apr 22, 2020 4:11 pm It looks pretty solid now. Did you glued it? Hoping that the divider well hold on for long. Maybe, avoid putting heavy items on the top portion.
Yes with Sticks like Sh*t Turbo.
kjones1829
BANNED
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Kitchen Cupboard Problem

Post by kjones1829 »

Distorted Vision wrote: Wed Apr 22, 2020 4:59 pm
kjones1829 wrote: Wed Apr 22, 2020 4:11 pm It looks pretty solid now. Did you glued it? Hoping that the divider well hold on for long. Maybe, avoid putting heavy items on the top portion.
Yes with Sticks like Sh*t Turbo.
Well, I guess everything is fine then. :)

Return to “Kitchen Fitting”