recipricating saw

This forum is for reviews of Budget power tools such as B&Q / Wickes own brand, Direct power / Titan / challenge / Performance power / Erbauer / Skill/ Bosch Green / Black & Decker

Moderator: Moderators

caravan72

recipricating saw

Post by caravan72 »

Hi folks, toying with the idea of digging out my tree stumps and picked up in here that the above woule be usefull, does anyone have any reccomendations as regards one, saw one on special @ B&Q for about £60 or so.
Rorschach

Re: recipricating saw

Post by Rorschach »

Screwfix erbauer is often on offer for about £50ish. Real beast powerwise and good value.
big-all
Pro Carpenter

Post by big-all »

what size is the stump ??
probably a chain saw would be better :dunno:
we are all ------------------still learning
Chappy

Post by Chappy »

Problem with a chainsaw is you only have to touch the soil momentarily and the chain is blunt.
I use a cordless recip saw, but its heavy going on batteries. A mains powered one would be best if you can get power to the job. The rough-cut six inch bosch blades are good, but as with the chainsaw, they will quickly lose their edge in the soil. I keep the blades that are past their best for cutting roots.
caravan72

Post by caravan72 »

I Have an Electric chainsaw not been out of the box from Aldi but I like the soud of a RS with rougher cut blades.
Chappy

Post by Chappy »

Find the root you want to cut and dig around it with a pointing trowel or similar. Scrape off all the soil at the cut point to save your blades. A recip saw will get in to lots more roots than a chainsaw too, and its MUCH safer.
big-all
Pro Carpenter

Post by big-all »

i was using my recip on a slice off stump removed buy someone else with a chainsaw
tried to cut but kept jambing even though it has been drying out through the last 8 months under cover :dunno:
just thought ground born wood would keep binding on a recip
we are all ------------------still learning
caravan72

Post by caravan72 »

Well u could be right about the recip blade binding on the root but the last stump I tried to remove was in the way of a fence post managed to cut through 3 roots using a hardpoint before giving up and moving the position of the post! If I were to use a rougher blade I think this would do the job, just need a lot of blood, sweat and blinding! to get them out.
Rorschach

Post by Rorschach »

If you already have a chainsaw then use that, a cheap handsaw will do a good job on the roots and not damage your chain. If I didn't have a chainsaw (and we are not talking serious trees) then I would get a big corded recip. Reason being the blades are cheap, easy and quick to replace. You can use it on the stump and roots, it's much safer than a chainsaw as well. It will be slower than a chainsaw, however unlike the chainsaw when you are finished you will have a multi function tool that is much more useful than the one trick pony of a chainsaw. Before you start, get yourself some wooden or plastic wedges, hammer them in behind the saw blade as you go to prevent binding.
Argyll

Post by Argyll »

I dug out eleven of them a few years back using an axe Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr
caravan72

Post by caravan72 »

Rorschach wrote:Screwfix erbauer is often on offer for about £50ish. Real beast powerwise and good value.
Scewfix selling this one for £49.99 just now, bought one today.

Couldn't make up my mind which extra blades to get, I( remember someone here saying get Bosch rough cut blades but wasn't sure when in there today which ones to get, could someone point me in the right direction, it's for the tree stumps they had 6" and I think 9" blades.

Thanks in advance
caravan72

Post by caravan72 »

Hi folks, looking aroung some people think this these blades would be good for tree roots.

http://www.screwfix.com/p/bosch-recipro ... of-5/71339
Rorschach

Post by Rorschach »

They will certainly do the job. Use a blade on the branches first then keep that blade for use on the roots as it will bugger it up afterwards. I generally hang onto old coarse blades for these kinds of jobs, metal cutting and finer blades get chucked as soon as they start to get dull.
caravan72

Post by caravan72 »

Rorschach wrote:They will certainly do the job. Use a blade on the branches first then keep that blade for use on the roots as it will bugger it up afterwards. I generally hang onto old coarse blades for these kinds of jobs, metal cutting and finer blades get chucked as soon as they start to get dull.
I was thinking that 240mm blades might be quite long for doing roots it might mean I would have to have a deeper hole to enable the blade to operate but haven't seen the blades a shorter length, the tree's in question are down and gone but some limbs remain as we will use them for a small heater outside later on summer nights but mostly the task is the roots, having a go this weekend as the weather looks better than last weekend.

Thanks for the help so far
Rorschach

Post by Rorschach »

Got an angle grinder? Just shorten the blade if needed.

Return to “budget power tools ”