katsu router (makita replica)

This forum is for reviews of Budget power tools such as B&Q / Wickes own brand, Direct power / Titan / challenge / Performance power / Erbauer / Skill/ Bosch Green / Black & Decker

Moderator: Moderators

olielloyd86
Newly registered Member
Been thanked: 0

Post by olielloyd86 »

http://www.amazon.co.uk/101748G-Electri ... B00LVVJB7A

Any reviews for this would it be worth buying I have a new build coming up with loads of doors to hang for which I could use with my hinge jig.

Or should I just get the Makita palm router its replicating.

cheers olie
big-all
Pro Carpenter

Re: katsu router (makita replica)

Post by big-all »

heeelllooo and welcome olielloyd86 :welcome: :welcome: :welcome:

if you are buying for a specific task with possibly little further use and time is not critical in case you have to send it back and its less than half the mak then worth considering
i personally would choose a know product/manufacturer with a track record

that company have good feedback on ebay
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/101748G-6MM-1 ... 3f3d58ecb7
we are all ------------------still learning
olielloyd86
Newly registered Member

Post by olielloyd86 »

thanks for reply, yea I agree I don't usually buy cheap but was just curious really suppose if it just does these doors it will pay for itself but as the saying goes pay cheap buy twice haha. I did buy a replica Makita saw years ago and that worked fine just a nightmare getting a blade for it.
big-all
Pro Carpenter

Post by big-all »

an other thought
he is selling them cheaper on amazon why ???
yes pay pal and other fees but i suspect they may be returns or repairs as amazon dont have the "condition" heading so factory refurbs could slip through :dunno:
These users thanked the author big-all for the post:
olielloyd86
Rating: 7.14%
we are all ------------------still learning
olielloyd86
Newly registered Member

Post by olielloyd86 »

yea true, think ill leave it plus I don't think you can fit a guide bush to it.
Job and Knock
Old School Chippie

Post by Job and Knock »

olielloyd86 wrote:yea true, think ill leave it plus I don't think you can fit a guide bush to it.
This is by way of an update in case anyone finds this thread by way of a search. The Katsu router uses the same bases as the Makita RT0700. That means the fixed (trimmer) base will take a Porter-Cable type threaded guide bush (Trend do these in Imperial sizes as well as 16 and 30mm for their templates, cheap Imperial sets are sold under the Silverline name as well). The plunge base is designed to be used with the same guide bushes as the Makita RP1801/RP2301 heavy routers and there is an adaptor available from Makita which will allow use of the P-C style guide bushes as well. Please search for other threads for more info about the Katsu and RT0700 accessories, etc
These users thanked the author Job and Knock for the post:
big-all
Rating: 7.14%
"The person who never made a mistake, never made anything" - Albert Einstein

"I too will something make, And joy in the making" - Robert Bridges, 1844~1930

"The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.” - Bertrand Russell from The Triumph of Stupidity", 1933
fin

Post by fin »

ive got one. seems to be absolutely fine. i dont have a hinge jig thouhg. i normally free hand hinges.

there was a fella somewhere i saw that was going to 3d print a guide bush for the fixed katsu router base.
Job and Knock
Old School Chippie

Post by Job and Knock »

fin wrote:there was a fella somewhere i saw that was going to 3d print a guide bush for the fixed katsu router base.
Complete waste of time IMHO because the fixed (trimmer) base of the Katsu/RT0700 is Porter-Cable guide bush compatible. You can buy a 16mm guide bush from Trend Dead link removed by Admin 25/01/2021 which works perfectly well in conjunction with a 12mm cutter. Trend now do a Dead link removed by Admin 25/01/2021 as well which allows you to use a much more common 12.7mm (1/2in) cutter instead - and 1/2in cutters are really easy to source (there's one in every cheap jack cutter set I've ever seen). Still, if you've invested several hundreds of pounds on a digital printer and have half a day to spend printing one off and getting a flimsier, less durable product at three times the price, then why not? :dunno:

"The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.” - Bertrand Russell from The Triumph of Stupidity", 1933
Job and Knock
Old School Chippie

Post by Job and Knock »

Just to add to the information stream.....

Makita have just introduced an auxilliary pair of handles in the USA for the RT0700/RT0701 (part no. 196924-7) which should also fit the Katsu because the body is the same size:
Makita 196924-7 Aux Handles for RT0700 001_01 .JPG
Makita 196924-7 Aux Handles for RT0700 001_01 .JPG (20.54 KiB) Viewed 11988 times
These should make the trimmer (fixed base) a more manageable proposition in some circumstances, although they seem to be coming in at about £38 in the USA (so maybe £45 or so street if/when they get here)

Rorschach

Post by Rorschach »

How do those handles fit alongside another base? Seems like there wouldn't be room? If you have the plunge base then you could just use that, it's quite compact.
Job and Knock
Old School Chippie

Post by Job and Knock »

They fit onto the motor body just below the blue plastic top housing and the fixed base goes just below them. They seem to convert the fixed base trimmer into something more like a fixed base router

Rorschach

Post by Rorschach »

Oh I see, it fits above the gear rack, I guess there is just enough room.

Could be a handy accessory but probably pricey like you say. I reckon a plunge base would be a better investment, not much more in cost and more versatility.

Return to “budget power tools ”