Cordless drill - best budget for keen amateur use?

This forum is for reviews of Budget power tools such as B&Q / Wickes own brand, Direct power / Titan / challenge / Performance power / Erbauer / Skill/ Bosch Green / Black & Decker

Moderator: Moderators

mattie_uk
Newly registered Member
Been thanked: 0

Cordless drill - best budget for keen amateur use?

Post by mattie_uk »

Hi all

The old corded B&D drill my father-in-law generously donated has now given up the ghost, so we're after a decent cordless drill.

I've had rotten luck with the really cheap cordless drills, which fail in a whole number of ways, and they're starting to look like false economies. I'm not sure how much to invest to get something that will last, so I'd appreciate any advice on a suitable price spot or brand (ideally, specific drill!) that I should consider.

In terms of use, I would use the drill infrequently but quite intensely - maybe a day a month where I really get into the DIY. We have plans at building a shed and wood store so I am anticipating more use than the occasional putting up of shelves, and I need to fit a few showers so will drilling tiles at some point. I would also be looking to build the system up, with a driver (unless I get a drill that can act as a driver?), saw and perhaps a sander etc to follow, so some forward compatibility would be good for batteries etc - I've heard brands like erbauer suffer from battery fit changes every few years which puts me off.

I was looking at spending around £100, would I need to up this or are there good options at that price point? I have a bias towards buying UK-designed or UK-made, but not sure that will be possible.

All advice gratefully received!
wine~o

Re: Cordless drill - best budget for keen amateur use?

Post by wine~o »

These users thanked the author wine~o for the post:
mattie_uk
Rating: 7.14%
Verwood Handyman

If you feel you have benefited from the Free advice given on the Forum, Please consider making a donation to UHM's Nominated charity, read all about it and donate here :

http://www.donnasdreamhouse.co.uk
mattie_uk
Newly registered Member

Post by mattie_uk »

Ta mate - looks good, especially with a spare battery, and spot-on the budget!

I note that screwfix sell a similar drill as part of a drill and driver set, is it worth getting a separate driver or would the combi be OK for common-or-garden driving work? (Perhaps better to phrase the question 'is a separate driver actually worth it for weekend hackers?')
wine~o

Post by wine~o »

mattie_uk wrote: (Perhaps better to phrase the question 'is a separate driver actually worth it for weekend hackers?')
Probably not. Though I am considering buying another one for where I need pilot holes for the screws...just because it's such a faff changing repeatedly from a drill bit to a driver bit..

I should say that for screw driving select low speed and you'll have all the control you need, for drilling, the higher speed can be useful.

At some point Big-All will be along recommending the Ryobi one-plus range of tools...

All I'm saying is that I bought this to replace failing Ryobi kit.. :wink:
Verwood Handyman

If you feel you have benefited from the Free advice given on the Forum, Please consider making a donation to UHM's Nominated charity, read all about it and donate here :

http://www.donnasdreamhouse.co.uk
mattie_uk
Newly registered Member

Post by mattie_uk »

Went with the hitachi, and picked up a cheap set of erbauer tile drillbits - no excuse for not doing the shower now!

Cheers for advice
mattie_uk
Newly registered Member

Post by mattie_uk »

..job done, worked like a charm.

(well, no leaks just yet, at any rate)
big-all
Pro Carpenter

Post by big-all »

wine~o wrote:
mattie_uk wrote: (Perhaps better to phrase the question 'is a separate driver actually worth it for weekend hackers?')
Probably not. Though I am considering buying another one for where I need pilot holes for the screws...just because it's such a faff changing repeatedly from a drill bit to a driver bit..

I should say that for screw driving select low speed and you'll have all the control you need, for drilling, the higher speed can be useful.

At some point Big-All will be along recommending the Ryobi one-plus range of tools...

All I'm saying is that I bought this to replace failing Ryobi kit.. :wink:
i still sing the praises off ryobi when a multiple tool set up is likely
with the present glut off cheap lion tools from most manufactures to try and get maximum market share ryobi individuals are not the best choice whilst these subsidized tools are available :lol: :lol:
we are all ------------------still learning

Return to “budget power tools ”