Evolution Fury B&Q

This forum is for reviews of Budget power tools such as B&Q / Wickes own brand, Direct power / Titan / challenge / Performance power / Erbauer / Skill/ Bosch Green / Black & Decker

Moderator: Moderators

jmcp

Re: Evolution Fury B&Q

Post by jmcp »

Hi,

Not sure why your effort with the hand mitre saw is rubbish as it is not exactly the largest, thickest skirting you are cutting so, if you have no planned further use for a compound or sliding mitre saw then I would suggest you double check your angles as it may not be a 45 degree angle that is required and then do a bit more practice with your mitre saw.

Cheers, john
zaffy

Post by zaffy »

jmcp wrote: Not sure why your effort with the hand mitre saw is rubbish as it is not exactly the largest, thickest skirting you are cutting so, if you have no planned further use for a compound or sliding mitre saw then I would suggest you double check your angles as it may not be a 45 degree angle that is required and then do a bit more practice with your mitre saw.
John, I know, I'm a sad case. At the moment I am practising on some 9cm pine.

I bought a new blade for my old non-electric mitre saw.
And,
I bought a digital mitre finder.

The external angle of the wall is obtuse 44 degrees. The hand mitre mitre saw only goes to 45 degrees and only locks on 45 degrees and every 5 degrees from there up.

Also, because I have to saw the skirting vertically, by the time I have sawed to the bottom, the cut line is a bit wavy.

Yesterday, I messed about all day, and then after the air was blue, I dashed off to B&Q for the Evolution Fury impulse buy. It's still in the box in the hall. So, that's where I am now.
Job and Knock
Old School Chippie

Post by Job and Knock »

Of course the other thing which often doesn't help is having skirting which are cupped across their width. Are yours really flat?
"The person who never made a mistake, never made anything" - Albert Einstein

"I too will something make, And joy in the making" - Robert Bridges, 1844~1930

"The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.” - Bertrand Russell from The Triumph of Stupidity", 1933
zaffy

Post by zaffy »

Job and Knock wrote:Of course the other thing which often doesn't help is having skirting which are cupped across their width. Are yours really flat?
Shouldn't be cupped. I ordered the machine cut beech wood a while ago and it is lying flat in the garage. Also only 8cm high so probably ok.

p.s. One of my posts said the external angle was obtuse, I think I meant acute. But I have learned since that if the external angle is out a degree or two, just mitre at 45 degrees anyway.
big-all
Pro Carpenter

Post by big-all »

zaffy wrote:
Job and Knock wrote:Of course the other thing which often doesn't help is having skirting which are cupped across their width. Are yours really flat?
Shouldn't be cupped. I ordered the machine cut beech wood a while ago and it is lying flat in the garage. Also only 8cm high so probably ok.

p.s. One of my posts said the external angle was obtuse, I think I meant acute. But I have learned since that if the external angle is out a degree or two, just mitre at 45 degrees anyway.
thats no guarantee off anything if its going to cup it will cup
we are all ------------------still learning
Timllfixit

Post by Timllfixit »

Hi Zaffy,

I'm not sure where you are, but if you are a COSTCO member the Avonmouth store have(or had until recently) a very nice Metabo sliding mitre saw for £150(+ vat). I would have bought one but my wife had bought me an Einhell for Cristmas last year. I'm getting fed up with it though because I have to set it up every time I change the angle of the cut.
When all you have is a hammer, every problem is a nail.
zaffy

Post by zaffy »

Timllfixit wrote:Hi Zaffy,

I'm not sure where you are, but if you are a COSTCO member the Avonmouth store have(or had until recently) a very nice Metabo sliding mitre saw for £150(+ vat). I would have bought one but my wife had bought me an Einhell for Cristmas last year. I'm getting fed up with it though because I have to set it up every time I change the angle of the cut.
Thanks, Tillit, for thinking of me, but I'm a little over 100 miles away and not a member of COSTCO. Hopefully, the tip might help someone else out.
ahfix

Post by ahfix »

I did the skirting in two entire houses, plus half of my mums house with a cheap mitre saw from B&Q, some unknown brand. It was the first "electric Saw" of any type I owned. Just need to take your time.

First mistake I made was assuming the saw was square out the box, read the manual and check the blade and table are square, then check the 45o angle is true. I only recently upgraded to a larger sliding compound mitre saw.

This looks ok to me: https://www.diy.com/departments/evoluti ... 514_BQ.prd

AH
moderator7
UHM Super Moderator

Post by moderator7 »

If you want to discuss a particular tool, then it's better to start a new topic, than to dig up a thread from four and a half years ago.
Thanks. I've locked this thread.

Return to “budget power tools ”