power performanmce 18v cordless drill

This forum is for reviews of Budget power tools such as B&Q / Wickes own brand, Direct power / Titan / challenge / Performance power / Erbauer / Skill/ Bosch Green / Black & Decker

Moderator: Moderators

noddy997
Newly registered Member

power performanmce 18v cordless drill

Post by noddy997 »

I bought a 18v power performance cordless drill from b&q 2 years ago. It packed up last year and they swapped just the drill without the batteries last year as it had a 2 year warranty.

Recently I have noticed that the batteries dont hold enough charge to drill a few 7mm masonary holes!

Is this common with all tools or has the brand myth worked wonders? Mind you the drill was only £40 with 2 batteries and a fast 1 hour charger!
speed

Re: power performanmce 18v cordless drill

Post by speed »

i think the batterys did well to last 2 years,
big-all
Pro Carpenter

Post by big-all »

the trouble is they tend to have poor quality low capacity batteries
i would suspect 1.3ah anything less than 2ah is limiting
we are all ------------------still learning
noddy997
Newly registered Member

Post by noddy997 »

i am going to try and save up for a new one. Any advice on the type of battery to go for? I heard li-on batteries are better?
big-all
Pro Carpenter

Post by big-all »

look at ryobi they have over 30 tools for the same batteries
http://uk.ryobitools.eu/one-plus-the-wo ... system.htm
you can normally get a starter set with 2 batteries charger and 2 tools for £100-125
all the one plus batteries and tools are interchangeable with the odd exception
i rate them as diy light to medium trade

yes li-ion batteries are the best option providing they suit your needs and come as reasonable package
noddy997
Newly registered Member

Post by noddy997 »

I only opt for having a cordless drill driver on battery power and no other tool. I wouldnt want to use a circular saw not running off a mains - just dont think it would have the power.
big-all
Pro Carpenter

Post by big-all »

noddy997 wrote:I only opt for having a cordless drill driver on battery power and no other tool. I wouldnt want to use a circular saw not running off a mains - just dont think it would have the power.
i have 4 battery circular saws and a mains i last used the mains[dewalt dw62] -------------------

------------- :dunno: :dunno: probably 5 years ago

i use the table saw for thick timber and the 18v plunge for everything else including worktops
yes they cain the batteries but i always have a minimum of 5 or 6 available with a minimum 8ah- 15 ah

sorry that should be 3 saws[18 volt ryobi 18v dewalt plunge and a 24v bosch] :lol:
noddy997
Newly registered Member

Post by noddy997 »

big-all wrote:
noddy997 wrote:I only opt for having a cordless drill driver on battery power and no other tool. I wouldnt want to use a circular saw not running off a mains - just dont think it would have the power.
i have 4 battery circular saws and a mains i last used the mains[dewalt dw62] -------------------

------------- :dunno: :dunno: probably 5 years ago

i use the table saw for thick timber and the 18v plunge for everything else including worktops
yes they cain the batteries but i always have a minimum of 5 or 6 available with a minimum 8ah- 15 ah

sorry that should be 3 saws[18 volt ryobi 18v dewalt plunge and a 24v bosch] :lol:
You sir, sound like a big fish with all them tools :salute: ! You can afford them :wink: but my budget is tight and limited and plus my line of work is small so I dont need all them. I only bought a circular saw last year when I put some doors on but this year a polish idiot nicked it (dont do favours for anyone especially borrow them tools!). Worst still, I am yet to kick start my little handyman business and my poor cordless is dying out :( it is tight enough getting the marketing material printed lol i should shut up now lol
big-all
Pro Carpenter

Post by big-all »

noddy997 wrote:

You sir, sound like a big fish with all them tools :salute: ! You can afford them :wink: but my budget is tight and limited and plus my line of work is small so I dont need all them. I only bought a circular saw last year when I put some doors on but this year a polish idiot nicked it (dont do favours for anyone especially borrow them tools!). Worst still, I am yet to kick start my little handyman business and my poor cordless is dying out :( it is tight enough getting the marketing material printed lol i should shut up now lol
naahh more off a tool tart :lol: :lol:
Job and Knock
Old School Chippie

Post by Job and Knock »

big-all wrote:naahh more off a tool tart :lol: :lol:
You said it dearie, you said it........ :tool: :lol: :lol:
"The person who never made a mistake, never made anything" - Albert Einstein

"I too will something make, And joy in the making" - Robert Bridges, 1844~1930

"The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.” - Bertrand Russell from The Triumph of Stupidity", 1933
noddy997
Newly registered Member

Post by noddy997 »

big-all wrote: yes they cain the batteries but i always have a minimum of 5 or 6 available with a minimum 8ah- 15 ah

What is the highest "ah" battery you can get? I seen a Makita with 3.0ah but most combis I seen are less than 2!

Daft question: ah represents battery power or longevity?
big-all
Pro Carpenter

Post by big-all »

ah is the fuel tank volt is the power

until recently all the main manufacturers batteries where around 2.0-2.6ah with the odd exception

now loads are doing 1.3-1.5ah in nicad aimed at the lower end diy type market
with li-ion batteries being lighter and more efficient can be lower power to give size reduction

of course now the big boys are aiming at the pro market share with greater capacity at very good prices to try and gain market share and loyalty

Return to “budget power tools ”