Anyone got experience with Skil tools?

This forum is for reviews of Budget power tools such as B&Q / Wickes own brand, Direct power / Titan / challenge / Performance power / Erbauer / Skill/ Bosch Green / Black & Decker

Moderator: Moderators

bobo70
Newly registered Member
Been thanked: 0

Anyone got experience with Skil tools?

Post by bobo70 »

I came across these Skil tools sometime ago. The seller assured me they are actually made by Bosch and they had a 2 year warranty. They were ridiculously cheap so I decided to investigate before buying them. Any idea of how reliable they are. The ones I saw are Skil cordless screwdriver and a corded hammer drill.
wrinx

Re: Anyone got experience with Skil tools?

Post by wrinx »

big-all
Pro Carpenter

Post by big-all »

all depends if you are trade or diy and what you are trying to acheive depends on the answer i/we will give :lol:
we are all ------------------still learning
DIY_Johnny
Mr. Grumpy

Post by DIY_Johnny »

I have had them and they were complete sh#t. i would never buy them again. Most are not fit for purpose and false economy. All depends of how long you will using. You can be lucky as the Skil drill I had was ok but after 2 years of very light use the reverse button broke, keyless chuck broke and a burning spell started coming out of the gearbox. Jigsaw couldn't cut a line for love nor money. The only brand worse I think is Direct power. Should have been called 'Direct B#lox', :lol:

Bosch green is much better and well suited for a DIYer

for the cordless stuff, check the battery, lots have a pathetic battery life.

Now having say that I have read some posts where people have got of fine with Skil!

The best cheapo range in my view is screwfix's titan. It looks hideous, is big and clunky but buttons, case always seem much more robust. There corded drills are excellent and much better than others of the same price. However screwfix prices seem to vary a lot and they quickly lose their appeal if there are no deals on.

I have a few Erbaurer stuff too and I regret it, generally. For about 10-20% extra in price you could get Roybi or bosch green
dewaltdisney

Post by dewaltdisney »

I have a Skil corded jigsaw. I only use my jigsaw if I have to and it works well enough, It is a few years old now and does what i want of it.

I would say that it on a par with Black and Decker.

DWD
bobo70
Newly registered Member
Been thanked: 0

Post by bobo70 »

I intend to do very basic DIY with it. Fixing house up and need to fix some coat hooks on the door and probably attempt to replace fallen out door knobs.
root

Post by root »

I have macallister and titan stuff, cant fault the corded drill or the little screwdriver and my titan sander is great fun... they all seem extremely well built for the price
- Dave
aeromech3

Post by aeromech3 »

I have a Skil Planer 1555 (mains) 3 years old and it works fine for DIY such as levelling floor joists and trimming cabinets.

Return to “budget power tools ”