Non branded eBay drills?

This forum is for reviews of Budget power tools such as B&Q / Wickes own brand, Direct power / Titan / challenge / Performance power / Erbauer / Skill/ Bosch Green / Black & Decker

Moderator: Moderators

BenjaminS
Newly registered Member

Non branded eBay drills?

Post by BenjaminS »

I need a cordless drill pretty quick and seen some over the past 4-6 months on eBay 24v cordless hammer drills with 2 batteries and 1hr charger. Are these any good?!
dave.m
Deceased 07-06-2012 R.I.P

Re: Non branded eBay drills?

Post by dave.m »

pretty quick
With the weather creating all sorts of problems, I don't think you would get anything "pretty quick" via the parcel delivery systems.

Never bought a drill or any tools off ebay so cannot comment, but I think you would be able to get to one of the sheds, (B&Q, WICKS, Homebase) and pick up a cheapish drill and at least you can handle them to see which feels best for you.

dave
You can always tell a Yorkshireman,
But you cannot tell him much.
BenjaminS
Newly registered Member

Post by BenjaminS »

dave.m wrote:
pretty quick
With the weather creating all sorts of problems, I don't think you would get anything "pretty quick" via the parcel delivery systems.

Never bought a drill or any tools off ebay so cannot comment, but I think you would be able to get to one of the sheds, (B&Q, WICKS, Homebase) and pick up a cheapish drill and at least you can handle them to see which feels best for you.

dave
Oh don't get me started on the weather, please! I work/worked for City Link and it was crazy for anything from or for anywhere past Lancashire! :lol: I need something which is pretty capable of drilling into brick without dying halfway through which i've found with drills less than 18v as I've got to put up a LCD Bracket and attach my drawers to my walls. I know what you mean by handling them so I know what feels best. I used a Bosch cordless drill a month or so back, amazing grip, drive etc.
dave.m

Post by dave.m »

I bought a 24v drill from B&Q, cannot remember the name but it was one of their own brand type of things. It weighed a ton when holding it above shoulder height and I cooked the batteries because it did not switch off the charger when they were charged up. F**kin' useless bit of kit.
dave
The Weegie

Post by The Weegie »

As Dave said you should be able to pick up a good deal just now in one of the sheds.

B and Poo were doing a good deal on corded drills maybe worth a look in store. It really all depends on what you are going to use it for. You mentioned an LCD bracket and also brick.

This is a good deal from Screwfix.

http://www.screwfix.com/prods/85681/Pow ... Drill-110V

If you are looking at cordless to drill into brick then you will need a decent make.

If you can afford it this is a great deal. Has been reduced again.
http://www.screwfix.com/prods/74113/Pow ... ombi-Drill
It may seem difficult at first! But everything is difficult at first.
Razor

Post by Razor »

If you only want it for occaisional use I wouldn't bother with a battery one at all. Get a cheap SDS fom Screwfix for thirty quid or so.

Much more powerful and never flat when you need it :wink:
I think I'll take two chickens...
dave.m

Post by dave.m »

I agree with Razor about a mains drill. As you are fixing things indoors you will be near a socket and a mains SDS drill will be much better.
If you ever need it in a remote situation then an extension lead would be ok.
I have a B&Decker mains drill that I have used for DIY work since 1985 and it is still going strong. I use an Hitachi battery drill for things like pilot holes and screw driving but the B&D always does all my hammer drilling.
dave
dave.m

Post by dave.m »

Just found this if you have an ALDI near you:

1050W Hammer Drill £25. 99
Available from Sunday and comes with a 3 year guarantee.
dave
ultimatehandyman
Site Admin

Post by ultimatehandyman »

Steer well clear of all cheap makes of tools and power tools as they are often useless.

My mate always takes the mickey out of me calling me a "power tool snob".
I'll go out and spend £200 on a new power tool, he will get one for £20.
I'll go out and spend £20 on a shirt, he will spend £200 on a shirt.
Needless to say that he borrows my tools quite a bit :lol:

I remember him buying a cordless drill where the chuck was crap and so the drill bit orbited

Another mate of mine bought a cheap jigsaw and I was giving him a lift with a fence and I did not have my tools with me, so he handed me this jigsaw and it must of taken 20 mins to cut a 5ft length of timber down and it was far from straight :lol:

It's much better if you can get one of the well known brands when they are on special offer, even if they are a bit dearer.
BenjaminS
Newly registered Member

Post by BenjaminS »

Cordless drill is needed sadly as my sister has moved into a new development and her electricity isn't connected yet so the bracket needs fitting etc. However I've been looking at a Challenege Extreme 18v cordless drill on Argos I've used challenge before and they see decent to use. I just need something to use now and then for small jobs until I can afford to get some quality tools. I'd snap that DeWalt drill up in a jiffy if I didn't need to spend other money at this time of year!
big-all
Pro Carpenter

Post by big-all »

this is a good set for diy uses
http://tinyurl.com/3ehd3cu
there are over 30 tools that fit the same batteries

http://uk.ryobitools.eu/specific/formats/index.jsp
we are all ------------------still learning
DIY_Johnny
Mr. Grumpy

Post by DIY_Johnny »

You must be lucky Benjamin, I had some challenge stuff and ity ios complete and utter b#lox.

You will be replacing challenge stuff in no time at all but if you drill say 20 holes per year, it might be ok. The fail when you ask it to do something like drill into hard brick and or use it regularly, You will find the casing comes apart, chuck no long works and button will start to stick.

Some stuff like their jigsaw won't even cut one line without getting into trouble.

To save cash (in the long run) I would recommend getting a BOSCH green ort if you want bargain basement, a Titan from screwfix, they are actually pretty good for the price.
An extra tenner or 2 will be money well spent

Also remember a cordless is never great at drilling into brick and not a patch compared to an SDS. My makita 18V gets no where with it, You can do it by changing up drill bit sizes to the desired hole width but the drill bit wanders I find
The Weegie

Post by The Weegie »

If it has to be cordless and money is an issue, then I think Bosch green and Ryobi are your best bet.

I seen a good deal for a Black and Decker 18v drill. In my local BandPoo it came with 2 batteries and loads of accessories for £50.
I am unable to provide a link I'm afraid. Would rather buy a Black and Decker drill before Challenge Drill.
It may seem difficult at first! But everything is difficult at first.
BenjaminS
Newly registered Member

Post by BenjaminS »

The Weegie wrote:If it has to be cordless and money is an issue, then I think Bosch green and Ryobi are your best bet.

I seen a good deal for a Black and Decker 18v drill. In my local BandPoo it came with 2 batteries and loads of accessories for £50.
I am unable to provide a link I'm afraid. Would rather buy a Black and Decker drill before Challenge Drill.
Would this be the the drill? I've found it in Homebase for £41.00 Shall be getting it Monday!

dead link removed
big-all
Pro Carpenter

Post by big-all »

only problems are they don't mention battery type battery capacity or charge time if its more than 3hrs and less than 1.5 ah batteries i would think twice or at least report the capacity for further advice
we are all ------------------still learning

Return to “budget power tools ”