Review: Milwaukee V28 Cordless Circular Saw

This forum is for reviews of Budget power tools such as B&Q / Wickes own brand, Direct power / Titan / challenge / Performance power / Erbauer / Skill/ Bosch Green / Black & Decker

Moderator: Moderators

deepcapture
Newly registered Member

Post by deepcapture »

This isn't a budget tool, but here's the only place without branding so, here I go...

I'm a roof tiler, and we need high powered, durable tools to get the job done. So it was with quite a bit of trepidation that I spent AU$908 on a Milwaukee v28 Cordless circular saw.
I bought it purely because we were getting more and more jobs without readily available power, and no one likes having a generator thumping in their earhole all day ::b
Upon opening the hideous red box, I was immediately concerned. It's a right-handed saw. Not something you really think about when ordering tools, as you're not offered a choice. But there it is.
All of the corded saws I've ever used have been left handed (mostly Makita, but there's Bosch and a few no-name brands there). IE. You hold the trigger handle in your left and use the guard, or hold your work with the right (if you're not safety conscious :) )
The revs on this thing are much lower than what I'm used to, so it will stall if there's too much pressure placed on the baton you're trying to cut. Very noticeable when fixing hardwood to a steel frame.
However, upon adjusting to the backwards american design, and the lower power, it is a very good saw. So good in fact, that our Makita 185mm corded saw (model unknown, but only a year old) has been languishing in the toolbox since this little red bugger arrived.
The only real problem with it is that it's not equipped with a belt clip of any kind. I can't count the number of times we've saved one of our corded tools from disaster by catching the cord as it fell. My guess is that when this falls, we're just going to have to pray that Milwaukee's claim that it can take a 10 foot drop to concrete holds true. Having held it in my hands, however, I kind of doubt it. That remains to be seen, however, and I'm not about to test it :-P
Battery power is much better than I expected, lasting at least three hours on one battery with a sharp blade, and Milwaukee's claim of "fade free power" is actually true. It runs exactly the same, right up until the battery is dead. And then it only takes an hour to charge.
Not having to periodically move leads is also a boon. Yes, you occasionally have to grab a fresh battery, but much less often than you would have to climb down to move your leads.
One more thing. Because of the lower revs, blades last longer for us than they did with our more powerful corded saws. Even a thin kerf blade lasted us three jobs, and only died when the apprentice hit steel twice (Ugh, the sound of carbide tips rattling down a steel truss is nasty, trust me :lol: )

So if you're looking for a cordless circular saw with excellent power, mobility and durability, this is it.
These users thanked the author deepcapture for the post:
ultimatehandyman
Rating: 7.14%
ultimatehandyman
Site Admin

Re: Review: Milwaukee V28 Cordless Circular Saw

Post by ultimatehandyman »

Great review :thumbright:

Looks like I might have to make a Milwaukee forum now :wink:

I just converted your price to GBP and it works out at £545 which is expensive, but Milwaukee are one of the most expensive makes that I know of.

I have a Dewalt 18v and I think that it is left handed, although I think my Bosch corded is right handed (I don't really pay much attention though as I can use either hand comfortably)

As for dropping it from the roof, you could do with some solution to prevent this. I'd be more concerned about it falling and hitting someone on the ground as they would probably take you to court over here and sue you for damages!
thescruff

Re: Review: Milwaukee V28 Cordless Circular Saw

Post by thescruff »

Can't you adapt "tie me kangaroo down sport" to include a circular saw :roll: :lol:
deepcapture
Newly registered Member

Post by deepcapture »

ultimatehandyman wrote:Great review :thumbright:

Looks like I might have to make a Milwaukee forum now :wink:

I just converted your price to GBP and it works out at £545 which is expensive, but Milwaukee are one of the most expensive makes that I know of.

I have a Dewalt 18v and I think that it is left handed, although I think my Bosch corded is right handed (I don't really pay much attention though as I can use either hand comfortably)

As for dropping it from the roof, you could do with some solution to prevent this. I'd be more concerned about it falling and hitting someone on the ground as they would probably take you to court over here and sue you for damages!
I've noticed that most cordless saws available here seem to be backwards for some odd reason, yet corded saws are always left handed :?
Milwaukee is a very expensive brand, but from this tool, I can tell you that their construction values and materials are all top-notch.
We have only used it for about 12 hours in total, so there's no telling about true durability, but it is promising so far.
I'm currently thinking about a rock-climber's crab hooked onto the guard for a belt clip. It might prove uncomfortable, but better than a $400 smash (the price of the saw without batteries and charger).

@thescruff
I don't think the roo would like that very much. He's been kinda cranky lately. :lol:

-- Wed May 12, 2010 6:07 pm --

It survived six feet onto dirt with a thin covering of concrete. Slid right down the gal valley and just a few scuffs. So that's encouraging.
It's notable that today we had to use the corded saw, and even though it worked flawlessly, dragging leads produced no end of snags and foul language. Seems that we've been spoiled and don't wanna go back :shock:
I'll hopefully be adding pictures to my reviews soon :wink:

-- Thu May 13, 2010 6:49 pm --

Return to “budget power tools ”