DIY solar heating for above ground pool

plumbing, drainage and waste water questions here please

Moderator: Moderators

marc.knuckle
Newly registered Member

Re: DIY solar heating for above ground pool

Post by marc.knuckle »

Look mate, do me a favour and stop posting. From my first post today i haven't been rude and have even specifically said that i just now want pump advice whether or not the system as a whole will work. You've posted 3 times today and none have been to help, but merely PUSH your opinion on someone less experienced and to try to be insulting with your link to a YouTube clip. What use in a forum is a YouTube clip like the one you've put in? I've asked for advice and instead get bombarded with you trying to make me feel stupid.

So, again, can anyone else advise if a submersible pump would work better here, mainly being able to push water around the approx 90m hose?

Thanks
Someone-Else

Post by Someone-Else »

ah, I see you have the philosophy of "if I don't like the answer i am given I will whinge until I get one I do like"

Well why don't you not take my advice, go and waste (more) money on another pump and find out for your self what I have told you all along is true.

You could on the other hand do what else I suggested. (But you won't because that means NOT spending loads of money)
Above are my opinions Below is my signature.

Would you hit a nail with a shoe because you don't have a hammer? of course not, then why work on anything electrical without a means of testing Click Here to buy a "tester" just because it works, does NOT mean it is safe.

:mrgreen: If gloom had a voice, it would be me.

:idea1: Click Here for a video how to add/change pictures

Inept people use the QUOTE BUTTON instead of the QUICK REPLY section :-)
marc.knuckle
Newly registered Member

Post by marc.knuckle »

someone-else wrote:ah, I see you have the philosophy of "if I don't like the answer i am given I will whinge until I get one I do like"

Well why don't you not take my advice, go and waste (more) money on another pump and find out for your self what I have told you all along is true.

You could on the other hand do what else I suggested. (But you won't because that means NOT spending loads of money)
I tried to be polite. Do one mate. I'm not interested in your answers. None of them have helped with the pump suggestion I've asked for numerous times. I'm not looking for advice on if it will work as I've stated in each of the last few posts so why do you keep trying to massage your ego by posting the rubbish you are. What is it now, 4 posts with no help? Just do one.

If no one else can help with the pump suggestion that's okay but i am ONLY looking for advice on what type of pump would get the water up on to the shed roof, around the hose pipes and back down. Thanks
moderator2
UHM Super Moderator

Post by moderator2 »

@ someone-else. The OP has been quite clear. Please do not make any further replies to this thread unless constructive and relevant.

FWIW I know nothing about the subject.

Thanks.

The moderation team.
wine~o

Post by wine~o »

Right... both those pumps have approx the same "head" Head being the amount of distance they can pump vertically (one is 6M the other 6.5 M)

the difference is largely irrelevant.

What is relevant is the flow rate. The dirty water pump delivers a much higher flow rate which is completely unsuitable for your purpose.

You need a flow rate low enough for the water passing through the "solar" heat exchanger to get heat into the water.

I would suggest for the purposes of this "experiment" that you create a closed loop, black hose pipe looped for your heat "gatherer" run back to the pool where you have a second heat "exchanger" in the pool which then returns to the pump.

Much like hot water is heated in an indirect boiler .

Whether the pump you have is man enough for the job ??? :dunno:

Will it actually work ??? :dunno: that either. Just throwing some ideas in for you.
Verwood Handyman

If you feel you have benefited from the Free advice given on the Forum, Please consider making a donation to UHM's Nominated charity, read all about it and donate here :

http://www.donnasdreamhouse.co.uk
marc.knuckle
Newly registered Member

Post by marc.knuckle »

so i added another 30m of hose in one of the boxes and used the 400w submersible pump and due to all the friction in the hoses it means the flow is slowed and it is the right balance.

while standing outside the water it feels like there is a slight difference in temps but with a temp probe it showed the intake end at 21-22c and the outlet pipe as 28c. not bad, i obviously realise this increase is eaten up by the high volume of overall water in the pool but it has been adding to the sun directly warming up the surface by slightly warming the deeper water where the pipe rests.

the biggest sense of the difference is when you are in the water for a while and your skin temp reduces a little, if you then put that outlet pipe on your skin it feels very warm, not quite hot but real good.
big-all
Pro Carpenter

Post by big-all »

glad your getting on top off it and getting it to work better :lol:
lets hope the increase in heat isnt purely due to the fact it was probably the hottest day this year in some places
and off course with body temperature being around 33 degrees anything lower will never feel hot just less cold with it needing to be perhaps 38-40 to feel warm to hot :dunno:
remember temperatures shown are in the shade in still air with the actual direct in the sun temperature being perhaps 50-100% more
we are all ------------------still learning

Return to “Plumbing Forum”