Possible leak after plumber been and other stuff

plumbing, drainage and waste water questions here please

Moderator: Moderators

l00ey
Been thanked: 0

Post by l00ey »

Plumber came on 9th June to fit a new radiator, and the more and more I think of it I think it was a bodge job.
The toilet leaked, and was misaligned and too far back so an inch of bowl was showing, plumber came back to fix leak but still misaligned, pulled seat forward so bowl not showing. They brought a new seat with them but decided to keep the old.

I switch my heating on once a month to keep it in good working order.
Now that plumber had been there is bright emerald green at the base of the left hand pipe which wasn't there before.
Pressure not dropping, but it wouldn't necessarily drop if there was a slow leak will it?
Here is a pic
IMG_20200709_170827087.jpg
IMG_20200709_170827087.jpg (312.56 KiB) Viewed 308 times
Also I mentioned he bent the right hand pipe to the one above. Fin kindly said that it was ok but when I read his post I think we were at cross purposes and I think although Fin was helpful he thought I meant the left hand side pipe being bent and that it was ok, but I did not give a good photo of how bent the right hand side was after plumber fitted it.
Plumber tried to straighten right hand side bent pipe out a bit when I complained so he moved it twice.
The plumber had problems getting the radiator on. They did not even come to the flat to see the job, and got me to measure the radiator and email them photos.
The plumber struggled to get the new rad to fit into the left hand side pipe and this is where he bent the right hand side pipe, so he turned one of the back brackets round so they are both facing the same direction, whereas all my other brackets behind new rads are facing the opposite directions.
Below is a picture of the pipe he bent. I dunno if I have slow leaks as these wouldn't show in the pressure gauge. I told the plumber and he said the bent pipe was not a problem but to me it could have caused a slow leak in the elbow under the concrete.
Does the emerald green at the bottom of the left hand pipe when heating turned on show a slow leak?
Here's two pictures, one before it was bent and one afterwards.
Before
Screenshot 2020-07-09 at 17.29.11.png
Screenshot 2020-07-09 at 17.29.11.png (853.77 KiB) Viewed 308 times
After-hope you can see from my phone camera how bent the right hand side pipe is now.
Screenshot 2020-07-09 at 17.29.55.png
Screenshot 2020-07-09 at 17.29.55.png (492.44 KiB) Viewed 308 times
Given that they left the toilet leaking and above with the pipes could they have done a bodge job? and fobbed me off? how will I tell if I have a slow leak under my concrete floor given that pressure doesn't drop with slow leaks?

thanks
Last edited by l00ey on Thu Jul 09, 2020 4:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rorschach

Post by Rorschach »

If you have a leak the pressure will drop and it doesn't take much to show up.
These users thanked the author Rorschach for the post:
l00ey (Thu Jul 09, 2020 5:02 pm)
Rating: 7.14%
l00ey

Post by l00ey »

Rorschach wrote:
Thu Jul 09, 2020 4:43 pm
If you have a leak the pressure will drop and it doesn't take much to show up.
I'll check when the heating is cool. Apparently it should be between 1 and 1.5 bar. I just found out it takes 4 - 6 hours to cool down, at the moment, while hot it is just below 1.5 bar.
Don't wanna sound contradictory, British Gas say small leaks can cause gradual pressure loss, telling me it will take time for small leaks to show pu, so I will find it hard to gauge from my boiler pressure whether I have a leak.
How much does the boiler go down by when it cools?
I just put heating on and checked the water meter, but there were so many ants in the water meter I could not stay there long enough to wait to see if the dial was showing slow leaks.
I should have put more information in my first post about the plumber turning one of the brackets around so he could fit the radiator properly onto the right hand side pipe, which he bent.
Dunno if the job is a bodge job or not.
Rorschach

Post by Rorschach »

No point looking at the water meter, heating system will be a closed loop.
These users thanked the author Rorschach for the post:
l00ey (Thu Jul 09, 2020 5:35 pm)
l00ey

Post by l00ey »

Rorschach wrote:
Thu Jul 09, 2020 5:24 pm
No point looking at the water meter, heating system will be a closed loop.
Thanks I just checked water pressure again, heating was on about 45 mins, and off for around half and hour, in that half hour it has lost quarter of a bar of pressure, does that indicate a leak?
If so, could it be from the plumber bending the right hand pipe in the picture above, and then moving it more to try and straighten it?
I feel the plumbers fobbed me off when they said that it was ok to bend the pipe in this way - could it have caused a leak in the elbow beneath the concrete?
l00ey

Post by l00ey »

Pressure just over one bar when cool, I think that's ok.
Still wanna know why bright green is at the base of my pipes, it's not flux, the plumber wiped that off.
wine~o

Post by wine~o »

The green at the bottom of the pipes is a common occurrence known as "verdigris" nothing to do with a leaky radiator at all.

However, the pipes at some point have been damp, either because of a previous (now fixed) leak or condensation.
Verwood Handyman

If you feel you have benefited from the Free advice given on the Forum, Please consider making a donation to UHM's Nominated charity, read all about it and donate here :

http://www.donnasdreamhouse.co.uk
fin

Post by fin »

please dont be concerned about any leaks. if there are leaks from your heating it will not be a disaster.

the work tht was done by your plumber is absolutely fine. he is a good plumber an so is his young mate.

even if you kept your heating turned off for 5 years and turned it on if it is a good system it will still be a good system. please dont think that people do a bad job because mostly it will be a good job because people pride themselves in the job that they do,

i have in the past had experience with poor quality products. indeed in the past week i fitted a kitchen from a well known kitchen supplier and it took 3 belfast sinks before i was satisfied at the quality. all of the sinks would have worked. but the first 2 had quality issues.

any works your plumber conducted will not leak. dont worry about that
l00ey

Boiler slowly losing pressure since plumber been

Post by l00ey »

Hi

Boiler pressure been dropping slowly since plumber came on 9th June.
As rad didn't fit, he struggled to get valve to go on pipe, he bent right hand side pipe coming out of concrete floor, its not as bent now as he tried to straighten it out, possibly putting more stress on elbow under concrete floor. He then
turned round one of the brackets behind rad, so they both face same way unlike new rads in other rooms.
Bright green stuff (not flux, he wiped that off, on base of one pipe when heating switched on)
Worried bend in pipe has caused leak elbow in concrete floor as concrete only an inch thick, hence pressure drop.
Here's pic of pipes before he bent them, pic below is after he bent them, been worrying about this, can anyone help, thanks.
Screenshot 2020-07-15 at 18.49.59.png
Screenshot 2020-07-15 at 18.49.59.png (928.72 KiB) Viewed 198 times
Screenshot 2020-07-15 at 18.50.30.png
Screenshot 2020-07-15 at 18.50.30.png (863.16 KiB) Viewed 198 times
moderator2
UHM Super Moderator

Boiler slowly losing pressure since plumber been

Post by moderator2 »

Please don't make multiple posts about the same issue. I'll merge this with your other posts on the same subject.
l00ey

Post by l00ey »

Other thread doesn't mention boiler losing pressure, also, a well intentioned poster talked about left hand pipe, when I asked about the right had pipe being bent, worried bend=leak=loss of pressure.
fin

Post by fin »

when the plumber has soldered these joints he will have cleaned them with wire wool and also used flux. the flux could have had a little bit of a reaction with something on the pipe or on th floor to make whatever that green colour thing is. the flux when it was heated would probably have flowed all the way down the pipe. totally normal.

soldered pipes will not leak ever.

if there was any leaks your pressure would have dropped quickly. youd know about it by now.
These users thanked the author fin for the post:
l00ey (Thu Jul 16, 2020 7:35 pm)
l00ey

Post by l00ey »

fin wrote:
Wed Jul 15, 2020 10:48 pm
when the plumber has soldered these joints he will have cleaned them with wire wool and also used flux. the flux could have had a little bit of a reaction with something on the pipe or on th floor to make whatever that green colour thing is. the flux when it was heated would probably have flowed all the way down the pipe. totally normal.

if there was any leaks your pressure would have dropped quickly. youd know about it by now.
fin wrote:
Wed Jul 15, 2020 10:48 pm

Hi Fin
While I hope not to contradict your answer, Before posting on here about loss in boiler pressure I looked on British Gas site, and it says "You may have a leak somewhere in your boiler system. It may only be a tiny leak but, if it’s gone unnoticed for some time, it could lead to a gradual drop in pressure"
I can provide link to the page the above is on if it is within the rules.
I had a boiler pressure issue before and manufacturer fixed it. Ive also had boiler serviced recently-boiler ok.
I saw him wipe the flux off with a cloth and none of it ran down the pipe.
This is why I am worried that the bent pipe could have broken the elbow under the concrete floor and caused a slow leak and slow pressure drop.
ahfix

Post by ahfix »

There is only one logical way to proceed.

Record the boiler pressure weekly/daily/hourly or every minute if you must. If it drops you have a leak. If it doesn't drop all is good and this thread can be locked forever more.

You dont appear to want anyone else explaination so not sure how anyone can help.

Sorry to be blunt.

ah
These users thanked the author ahfix for the post:
l00ey (Thu Jul 16, 2020 8:42 pm)
ahfix

Post by ahfix »

Btw, most of my copper pipe joints have that green tint to. They haven't leaked in the 30 years they have been installed. I also stood on and bent a copper pipe when fixing my kitchen floor, it's never leaked.

ah
These users thanked the author ahfix for the post:
l00ey (Thu Jul 16, 2020 8:44 pm)

Return to “Plumbing Forum”