Changing sink taps to a basin mixer .. how do I isolate water?

plumbing, drainage and waste water questions here please

Moderator: Moderators

hbcgar
Newly registered Member
Been thanked: 0

Post by hbcgar »

Hi, I need to replace the taps in a sink unit and will go from two taps to a mixer. I have watched a video and it seems straight forward enough but there are no isolation valves beneath the sink. How can I switch off the hot & cold water? I have looked into the area that houses the hot water boiler and it is all confusing with heating pipes etc. Up in the loft where the cold water tanks is there is a pipe leading down through the ceiling.
The sink unit is in the bathroom on the first floor.
Grateful for any advice.
dewaltdisney

Post by dewaltdisney »

It depends on your heating and hot water system. If it is a combi boiler then just turning off the main stopcock will stop the water running all over the house as a rule. If you have a separate hot and cold tank you may have to drain the tanks as well.

DWD
yartin

Post by yartin »

Call a plumber if you can't isolate hot & cold

If you have hot water cylinder, there should be a stopcock, usually on the pipe coming down from the loft feeding the cylinder.
If you have a kitchen, the cold water stopcosk should be under the sink or possibly a foot or so to the right or left on the sink. If it is hidden behind units or appliances then there were will be a stopcock on the pavement you can use.
These users thanked the author yartin for the post:
hbcgar (Fri Jul 03, 2020 6:57 am)
Rating: 7.14%
wine~o

Post by wine~o »

Normally a gate valve on the feed to the hot water cylinder will isolate the Hot water side. They are prone to failure though. Make sure you fit isolation valves to the pipes while changing the taps.
Verwood Handyman

If you feel you have benefited from the Free advice given on the Forum, Please consider making a donation to UHM's Nominated charity, read all about it and donate here :

http://www.donnasdreamhouse.co.uk
dewaltdisney

Post by dewaltdisney »

I don't think I have ever managed to turn off a gate valve. They are always so stuck you get worried about fracturing the pipe putting pressure on it. Draining down is easier :lol: Hopefully, the OP has a combi

DWD
wine~o

Post by wine~o »

Gate valves work fine provided that you open and close them say every 6 months.

The problem is, no-one ever does. (myself included) :oops: :oops:
Verwood Handyman

If you feel you have benefited from the Free advice given on the Forum, Please consider making a donation to UHM's Nominated charity, read all about it and donate here :

http://www.donnasdreamhouse.co.uk
wes56

Post by wes56 »

If gate valves have been used or are being fitted then its best to fully open the valve and then wind back a full turn so that however jammed it feels it can still be turned without breaking the stem.

The best isolating valves are Ball Valves that c/w levers. They always work and rarely leak.
These users thanked the author wes56 for the post:
hbcgar (Fri Jul 03, 2020 8:04 am)
Rating: 7.14%
hbcgar
Newly registered Member

Post by hbcgar »

wine~o wrote: Thu Jul 02, 2020 4:15 pm Normally a gate valve on the feed to the hot water cylinder will isolate the Hot water side. They are prone to failure though. Make sure you fit isolation valves to the pipes while changing the taps.
Hi, I have been into the loft there is one large tank and a pipe that goes down into the flooring with a red tap. I think it goes straight into the boiler as it is roughly underneath where the tank in the attic is. If I turn off the red tap and drain the boiler would this work?
Also located in the boiler cupboard there is a thicker cold water pipe, with red tap, that runs straight up, presumably to the tank, not via the boiler. I have also located a cold water pipe in the utility room. It is blue, relativity wide and has an old fashioned style tap. It is also earthed. The pipe leading off is a smaller copper pipe, there is a junction there also, one pipe goes direct to the sink tap, the other pipe? The gauge of this copper pipe is smaller than the one that runs in and out of the pipe in the boiler cupboard.
dewaltdisney

Post by dewaltdisney »

Have you tried turning off the main stopcock and opening the basin taps as a test? A photo of the tank set up would help see viewtopic.php?t=14693&start= how to post pictures.

DWD
hbcgar
Newly registered Member

Post by hbcgar »

dewaltdisney wrote: Fri Jul 03, 2020 7:51 am Have you tried turning off the main stopcock and opening the basin taps as a test? A photo of the tank set up would help see <span class="skimlinks-unlinked">viewtopic.php?t=14693&start</span>= how to post pictures.

DWD Hi, I took some photos of the tank and boiler. The three pipes going into the boiler are all hot so I am not sure where the cold water supply comes from? There is a pump that serves two showers in the photos the cold water pipes do not go to the boiler? Id there another tank somewhere?
Attachments
DSCN0704[1].JPG
DSCN0704[1].JPG (167.15 KiB) Viewed 1264 times
DSCN0703[1].JPG
DSCN0703[1].JPG (148.55 KiB) Viewed 1264 times
DSCN0702[1].JPG
DSCN0702[1].JPG (192.69 KiB) Viewed 1264 times
DSCN0701[1].JPG
DSCN0701[1].JPG (234.33 KiB) Viewed 1264 times
DSCN0700[1].JPG
DSCN0700[1].JPG (225.27 KiB) Viewed 1264 times
DSCN0699[1].JPG