Moderator: Moderators

Leigh@fixit
Newly registered Member
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Shower screen removal

Post by Leigh@fixit »

Hi.
New to the forums thing but I'm hoping this may be the best place for advice.
I've recently installed a number of fixed/non pivot shower screens. The type you use half a tube of silicone to glue the glass into the metal wall bracket, before sealing along the lower edge to the bath.
Then I got to thinking, if I even need to get it out, how the heck do I do that without a hammer and a lot of mess!
I'm thinking of emptying an entire can of WD40 (with a straw) down the metal wall bracket between it and the back edge of the glass, leaving it for an hour and hoping to wiggle it free?
Has anyone had to do this before or got other suggestions?
I did contact the supplier for advice, who simply stated "why would you want to remove it?" Hmmmm.
Cheers in advance.
Leigh
dewaltdisney

Shower screen removal

Post by dewaltdisney »

Silicone solvent and a wire saw perhaps?

DWD
toolbox

Shower screen removal

Post by toolbox »

I have that type and may need to remove it when I re-tile, so I guess making a bit of a mess will not be an issue, but any better ideas than chopping out the whole screw / plug complete with the screen and immersing in silicone seal remover in a bit of plastic gutter would be welcome! :dunno:
I might try a thin snap off blade down each side first, but don't hold out much hope.
ayjay

Shower screen removal

Post by ayjay »

Leigh@fixit wrote: Sun Jun 28, 2020 5:31 pm
I've recently installed a number of fixed/non pivot shower screens. The type you use half a tube of silicone to glue the glass into the metal wall bracket, before sealing along the lower edge to the bath.
If this is the type where the glass is framed and the frame slides into a *U* channel. then it's not supposed to have "half a tube of silicone" in there.

From memory: the instructions are that you first seal behind the U channel to the tiles and then externally (but inside the shower area) between the U channel and the framed glass after installation.
One day it will all be firewood.

Return to “Plumbing Forum”