What's the alternative to a conventional stopcock

plumbing, drainage and waste water questions here please

Moderator: Moderators

l00ey
Been thanked: 0

Post by l00ey »

Hi
Fed up of stopcock, plumbers tried to fix it, keeps leaking. Got two cos top one seized up.
Various plumbers have put ptfe tape in or tightened nut.
One plumber mentioned there is an alternative, and gave me the name if it, but I forgot it, can anyone tell me what it is please?
Here's a pic of my Current stopcock
Thanks
stopcock.jpg
stopcock.jpg (20.34 KiB) Viewed 275 times
ahfix

Post by ahfix »

These users thanked the author ahfix for the post:
l00ey (Fri Jun 19, 2020 3:41 pm)
Rating: 7.14%
Bob225

Post by Bob225 »

A lever ball valve https://www.screwfix.com/p/pegler-ball- ... 15mm/11085 - the problem is if you leave them they scale/silt up, turn them off/on they weep as you break the seal the scale/silt has made

that also looks like a 3/4 lead incoming (poss a tank feed) with a 15mm out, the lead will weep if it disturbed too often even more so if the pipework isn't secured
These users thanked the author Bob225 for the post:
l00ey (Fri Jun 19, 2020 3:54 pm)
dewaltdisney

Post by dewaltdisney »

I always fix the stopcock gland with a bit of string covered in Vaseline, I do not think PTFE tape works very well on the stopcock spindle. I did my stopcock last year when it started dripping after I had turned the water off temporarily for another job. It seems to hold well for ages using this method.

DWD
These users thanked the author dewaltdisney for the post (total 2):
fin (Thu Jun 18, 2020 6:26 pm) • l00ey (Fri Jun 19, 2020 4:05 pm)
Rating: 14.29%
fin

Post by fin »

those surestop things seem to work well. theres been one fitted at the house im currently working at
These users thanked the author fin for the post:
l00ey (Fri Jun 19, 2020 4:07 pm)
fin

Post by fin »

dewaltdisney wrote:
Thu Jun 18, 2020 2:21 pm
I always fix the stopcock gland with a bit of string covered in Vaseline, I do not think PTFE tape works very well on the stopcock spindle. I did my stopcock last year when it started dripping after I had turned the water off temporarily for another job. It seems to hold well for ages using this method.

DWD
how do you do this then? recently i was on a job and the stop cock had been leaking for years. i ripped the old kitchen out and the sink base cab fell to bits haha

the incoming water main was that old black plastic alcothene stuff which i have been told can go brittle and snap if ya too aggressive with it so i was a bit concerned as i never wanted to get soaked haha. second time in the space of 6 months ive had leaking stop taps and black alcothene mains pipes.
dewaltdisney

Post by dewaltdisney »

The threaded nut under the tap handle will unscrew and inside there is a hollow that the tail on the nut is threaded in on. You cut about an inch or so of string liberally cover it is vaseline and wrap it around the spindle. Dont overpack it as you cannot screw the nut in properly. As you screw the nut back in it pinches and compresses the string around the shaft and prevents leaks. It is an easy fix. I think the correct way is with hemp and plumbers mate but over the years my method has served me well.

DWD
These users thanked the author dewaltdisney for the post:
l00ey (Fri Jun 19, 2020 4:09 pm)
fin

Post by fin »

cheers mate ill have to remember that one
l00ey

Post by l00ey »

ahfix wrote:
Thu Jun 18, 2020 11:25 am
Surestop

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6eyW0NLU0Ek
Thanks for vid, shame I don't have enough space.
l00ey

Post by l00ey »

Bob225 wrote:
Thu Jun 18, 2020 1:54 pm
A lever ball valve https://www.screwfix.com/p/pegler-ball- ... 15mm/11085 - the problem is if you leave them they scale/silt up, turn them off/on they weep as you break the seal the scale/silt has made

that also looks like a 3/4 lead incoming (poss a tank feed) with a 15mm out, the lead will weep if it disturbed too often even more so if the pipework isn't secured
I don't have a tank. I have a combi boiler. The lead is a green and yellow earth bond. I was worried it looked like a bodge but a plumber who I asked once, said it isn't a problem.
There is a hot water valve underneath it.
I've put a better photo below.
the problem is if you leave them they scale/silt up, turn them off/on they weep as you break the seal the scale/silt has made

I live in a very hard water area. Does this mean this lever ball valve is not advisable for me, as I would need to switch it on and off if I have a water leak, had quite a few.
IMG_20171007_220823803.jpg
IMG_20171007_220823803.jpg (33.72 KiB) Viewed 201 times
l00ey

Post by l00ey »

dewaltdisney wrote:
Thu Jun 18, 2020 2:21 pm

DWD
I've had a few plumbers quickly look at it while here on other jobs/quotes, they tightened the nut but the handle became too stiff for me to turn off. One put gas ptfe tape in but it still leaked.

I found that if I only open it so enough water comes out of the tape it doesn't leak, only when fully open so I avoid that now, plumber said this is ok so long as I am happy with the pressure coming out of the tap.
l00ey

Post by l00ey »

fin wrote:
Thu Jun 18, 2020 6:22 pm
those surestop things seem to work well. theres been one fitted at the house im currently working at
It does look good, shame there isn't enough space on the pipe for one.
l00ey

Post by l00ey »

dewaltdisney wrote:
Thu Jun 18, 2020 6:37 pm
The threaded nut under the tap handle will unscrew and inside there is a hollow that the tail on the nut is threaded in on. You cut about an inch or so of string liberally cover it is vaseline and wrap it around the spindle. Dont overpack it as you cannot screw the nut in properly. As you screw the nut back in it pinches and compresses the string around the shaft and prevents leaks. It is an easy fix. I think the correct way is with hemp and plumbers mate but over the years my method has served me well.

DWD
Thanks, Sounds a good solution but I haven't got the expertise to do it well, no offence against women as some can do plumbing but I as a woman cant.
dewaltdisney

Post by dewaltdisney »

Well, it was for Fin's benefit really, I was not suggesting you do it. But you have the knowledge now and 'packing the gland' is really basic stuff from my era. Not many use the string and vaseline approach these days...hmm that sounded strangely perverted.

DWD
These users thanked the author dewaltdisney for the post:
l00ey (Fri Jun 19, 2020 5:12 pm)
l00ey

Post by l00ey »

dewaltdisney wrote:
Fri Jun 19, 2020 4:58 pm
Well, it was for Fin's benefit really, I was not suggesting you do it. But you have the knowledge now and 'packing the gland' is really basic stuff from my era. Not many use the string and vaseline approach these days...hmm that sounded strangely perverted.

DWD
Hi
didn't realise it was for Fin's benefit, I wouldn't like messing around with the stopcock, not confident enough.

Return to “Plumbing Forum”