Plumber did not de-bur inside of pipes, should I be worried, also bent pipe coming from concrete

plumbing, drainage and waste water questions here please

Moderator: Moderators

l00ey
Been thanked: 0

Plumber did not de-bur inside of pipes, should I be worried, also bent pipe coming from concrete

Post by l00ey »

Hi
I had a plumber come to finally fit new toilet and rad mentioned in this post viewtopic.php?f=8&t=101036&e=1&view=unread#unread
I'm not asking anyone to read it, it got complicated.
Plumber was only supposed to be here a few hours but was here all day.
He did not de-bur the insides of any of the pipes including the ones he cut which emerge from the concrete floor.
He is 20yrs old, and has been working for four years for a highly reputable plumber with accreditations, lucky to get company but wish I had got boss to do it, as I feel the young plumber has made some bodges.
He installed the radiator, I attached two pictures, one on the left before, shows two pipes coming from the concrete floor, the one on the right after the new rad installed, shows that he has bent it.
I have asked his boss, by email, who trained him and who has worked for 50 years, whether pipes do need to be de-burred on the inside to stop leaks, and he has answered some of my questions but failed to answer the 2 most important ones.
Do pipes need to be de-burred in the inside, can I expect leaks, and if so, when?
In the attached pictures, will the pipe (now bent after new rad installed) leading into the concrete floor, cause a problem?
Thanks
radiator valve.jpg
radiator valve.jpg (49.5 KiB) Viewed 323 times
Right hand pipe leans to right.jpg
Right hand pipe leans to right.jpg (72.24 KiB) Viewed 323 times
fin

Post by fin »

ive sometimes seen plumbers debur and sometimes not. it wont cause an issue.

they may be more inclined to debur on gas.

the radiator pipe has to be bent otherwise how can the pipe get to the valve on the other side of the rad. the young lad has used a 90 degree fitting to do this. totally standard.

i did some plumbing myself on the last kitchen i fitted using exactly those fittings and i didnt debur the pipes. i fully expect that those pipes will remain sound for many years to come.

i can see why a plumber may debur on a gas pipe. but its simply a case of runnig something rough for example a long bolt inside the pipe. all that it does is removes any tiny little bits of copper left from the cutting action.

your plumber has done an absolutely fine job.
These users thanked the author fin for the post:
l00ey (Mon Jun 15, 2020 10:10 pm)
Rating: 7.14%
fin

Post by fin »

at 20 years old he is probably still seeing stuff for the first time and learning.

if you mean the pipe on the left as ive just looked at the pic again... that wont matter a jot. if its not leaking it wont suddenly start leaking. sometimes you need to move things slightly.

years ago when i started out as a 16 year old i wanted to be a mechanic. i was working at a citroen dealership. one of the ramps when a car was left on it for an hour or so used to drop slightly on one side. we had to belt it with a club hammer to set it right again to lower the car. this would make the whole car bounce on the ramp. sometimes you need to use a bit of force to make stuff do what you want.
l00ey (Mon Jun 15, 2020 10:18 pm)
l00ey

Post by l00ey »

fin wrote:
Mon Jun 15, 2020 7:43 pm
ive sometimes seen plumbers debur and sometimes not. it wont cause an issue.

they may be more inclined to debur on gas.

the radiator pipe has to be bent otherwise how can the pipe get to the valve on the other side of the rad. the young lad has used a 90 degree fitting to do this. totally standard.

i did some plumbing myself on the last kitchen i fitted using exactly those fittings and i didnt debur the pipes. i fully expect that those pipes will remain sound for many years to come.

i can see why a plumber may debur on a gas pipe. but its simply a case of runnig something rough for example a long bolt inside the pipe. all that it does is removes any tiny little bits of copper left from the cutting action.

your plumber has done an absolutely fine job.
Yeah the young lad said they only demurred on gas.
While this may sound ageist, his boss is the pro, he has 50yrs experience and his colleague only 4, although he was trained by his boss.
The young plumber said they only demurred on gas, and his boss confirmed that.
What I am worried is that while his boss said they use cutters that don't leave much bur, my plumber used a hacksaw to saw the building owner's pipe coming from the concrete and then when I complained, he got out what he said was a file and paid it lip service by only using it a few seconds.
I advised his boss of this by email, and am waiting to hear whether the pipe he cut with a hacksaw should be redone. He said he could not get his cutters into the space but dunno if he was just being lazy or more like tired, as he had no dinner, was there all day and couldn't be bothered getting his cutter from the other room. Its twin pipe so I cant remember if he cut both pipes, but worried particularly about the pipe he cut with hacksaw as that might leak. Dunno how long these leaks take to form.
l00ey

Post by l00ey »

fin wrote:
Mon Jun 15, 2020 7:49 pm
at 20 years old he is probably still seeing stuff for the first time and learning.

if you mean the pipe on the left as ive just looked at the pic again... that wont matter a jot. if its not leaking it wont suddenly start leaking. sometimes you need to move things slightly.

years ago when i started out as a 16 year old i wanted to be a mechanic. i was working at a citroen dealership. one of the ramps when a car was left on it for an hour or so used to drop slightly on one side. we had to belt it with a club hammer to set it right again to lower the car. this would make the whole car bounce on the ramp. sometimes you need to use a bit of force to make stuff do what you want.
The first line of your post worries me.
He said he started plumbing straight from school at 16.
It's the pipe he cut with a hacksaw that worries me, I can't remember which one it was.
He also scraped paint off the left one and I think some of it went into the open pipe.
I had an uneasy feeling when the boss said he was sending ***** I just had this feeling it would be a young plumber.
It's lack of experience that is fuelling my prejudice against young plumbers.
Also, the fact that the right hand pipe is now leaning towards the right, the boss said it wont be a problem but I wonder what damage it has done under the floor, like breaking a joint etc.
fin

Post by fin »

it will be fine chill out

the soldered joint will be fine

often you cant get pipe slice into small gaps or they are very difficult to turn. a file would clean it up no problem hes probably done a perfect job. it certainly looks good on the photos

give the young kid a chance
fin

Post by fin »

and the other joint wil also be fine too.
ahfix

Post by ahfix »

Prob zero damage as there is some flex in the pipe runs, granted it doesn't look as neat as it could have but without knowing the reasons for it it could be there was an obstacle in the way.

Out of interest who told you about de-burring and what do you think the purpose is ?

A flake of paint wont do any harm considering the gunk that can build up in heating systems. I think you are waaay over reacting.

ah
chrrris

Post by chrrris »

l00ey wrote:
Mon Jun 15, 2020 10:18 pm
It's the pipe he cut with a hacksaw that worries me, I can't remember which one it was.
He also scraped paint off the left one and I think some of it went into the open pipe.
I had an uneasy feeling when the boss said he was sending ***** I just had this feeling it would be a young plumber.
It's lack of experience that is fuelling my prejudice against young plumbers.
If you're such an expert on plumbing, maybe you should have done it yourself? You sound like a nightmare customer. If your 20 year old plumber only had 4 years experience, it sounds like 4 years more than you have. Leave the guy alone and let him get on with his job.

The work done looks fine from the photo.
These users thanked the author chrrris for the post (total 4):
ayjay (Tue Jun 16, 2020 6:26 am) • dewaltdisney (Tue Jun 16, 2020 7:02 am) • l00ey (Tue Jun 16, 2020 7:33 pm) • Gadget (Tue Jun 16, 2020 10:34 pm)
Rating: 28.57%
Haste is the enemy of quality.
sammy.se

Post by sammy.se »

I think you are overly worrying about this. If any leaks emerge, then take it up with the company.
Hacksaws are perfectly fine to cut pipes with, especially in awkward spaces.

Don't worry.
These users thanked the author sammy.se for the post:
l00ey (Tue Jun 16, 2020 7:34 pm)
fin

Post by fin »

sometimes in my career so far ive worked with young lads who absolutely knock the socks off the old blokes. ive sometimes found the older people are bitter angry old duffers who are jealous of the young kids with everything infront of them and theyve picked up some really bad habbits.

also the older ones are often less likely to know about a lot of modern tools etc. not all are like this but i have seen it. just because someone is older does not guarantee perfection. or them being a master tradesman or nothing like that
l00ey (Tue Jun 16, 2020 7:35 pm)
l00ey

Post by l00ey »

Thanks, sorry to offend, you have reassured me.
l00ey

Post by l00ey »

sammy.se wrote:
Tue Jun 16, 2020 7:23 am
I think you are overly worrying about this. If any leaks emerge, then take it up with the company.
Hacksaws are perfectly fine to cut pipes with, especially in awkward spaces.

Don't worry.
Yeah it was awkward space but he didn't debar, I expressed concern and he got a tiny file out and used it for a few seconds, I'm on good terms with plumber though, so his boss can reassure me about hacksaw.
l00ey

Post by l00ey »

fin wrote:
Tue Jun 16, 2020 7:10 pm
sometimes in my career so far ive worked with young lads who absolutely knock the socks off the old blokes. ive sometimes found the older people are bitter angry old duffers who are jealous of the young kids with everything infront of them and theyve picked up some really bad habbits.

also the older ones are often less likely to know about a lot of modern tools etc. not all are like this but i have seen it. just because someone is older does not guarantee perfection. or them being a master tradesman or nothing like that
Thanks sorry to be age prejudice. Toilet start leaking last night but any age plumber can sort that.
fin

Post by fin »

where is it leaking from?
l00ey (Wed Jun 17, 2020 9:31 pm)

Return to “Plumbing Forum”