Urgent work needs doing but can't get plumber

plumbing, drainage and waste water questions here please

Moderator: Moderators

ahfix

Post by ahfix »

l00ey wrote:
Thu Jun 11, 2020 1:49 pm

The building owner has been notified by me, but they say the the owner needs the owner to complain. The tenants have repeatedly complained to the owner about the mould, (Their landlord) but he won't complain to the building owner. They lived here 7 but are moving, his previous tenants only lasted 6 months each.
Sorry - my blood pressure rises when I need to read loads of text. So, is the summary is:
  • The owner of the flat below will not fix the issue
    You nor anyone else can locate the issue
    Tenant of the affected flat are leaving - because their landlord won't fix the issue
    You tried to contact the building owner and other landlord but they aren't interested
What issue SPECIFICALLY are you having in your flat?

ah
l00ey
Been thanked: 0

Post by l00ey »

ahfix wrote:
Thu Jun 11, 2020 3:28 pm
l00ey wrote:
Thu Jun 11, 2020 1:49 pm

The building owner has been notified by me, but they say the the owner needs the owner to complain. The tenants have repeatedly complained to the owner about the mould, (Their landlord) but he won't complain to the building owner. They lived here 7 but are moving, his previous tenants only lasted 6 months each.
Sorry - my blood pressure rises when I need to read loads of text. So, is the summary is:
  • The owner of the flat below will not fix the issue
    You nor anyone else can locate the issue
    Tenant of the affected flat are leaving - because their landlord won't fix the issue
    You tried to contact the building owner and other landlord but they aren't interested
What issue SPECIFICALLY are you having in your flat?

ah
I will be as brief as possible. Pic at bottom.
Old owner rerouted soil and waste pipes by cutting thin concrete floor, now bath waste and the soil disappear into the concrete.
There is a band of mould in the bathroom of the neighbour directly below where these pipes are.
Tenants repeatedly complained to their landlord but he wont complain to building owner and they wont listen to me, about mould in their bathroom.
Intermittent sewer smell from this area, NOT bathroom.
Leak detection guy found no leaks on my property but could not detect outside my property and said he thinks pipes in pic leaking, given that there is mould directly below in neighbours bathroom and this is causing sewer smell.
Can give more info but don't wanna bombard you in this post.
Edit.jpg
Edit.jpg (78.4 KiB) Viewed 259 times
fin

Post by fin »

i deffo reakon a general builder will be the one to go with in your case. do you not have any friends or family who can reccomend someone? or maybe local facebook pages that you could ask on if you use facebook?
These users thanked the author fin for the post:
l00ey (Fri Jun 12, 2020 8:11 pm)
Rating: 7.14%
l00ey

Post by l00ey »

fin wrote:
Fri Jun 12, 2020 6:02 pm
i deffo reakon a general builder will be the one to go with in your case. do you not have any friends or family who can reccomend someone? or maybe local facebook pages that you could ask on if you use Facebook?
As I am a Leaseholder even though old owner created the mess, it belongs to the building owner they told me I cannot get anyone to do the work.
It needs doing though.
Please can I ask another question?
I can see why you said it would need a builder to do the building work, but what about the leaky pipes, wouldn't it need a plumber to fix those?
Thanks
chrrris

Post by chrrris »

l00ey wrote:
Fri Jun 12, 2020 8:11 pm
I can see why you said it would need a builder to do the building work, but what about the leaky pipes, wouldn't it need a plumber to fix those?
Most general builders will be perfectly happy to do a bit of plumbing - certainly enough to fix a leaky bit of soil pipe. And even if they weren't they'd have a plumber as a subbie they could call in to do it. Fixing a leaking waste pipe isn't difficult once you have access to the leaking section -- the content of the pipe is under virtually no pressure.
These users thanked the author chrrris for the post:
l00ey (Fri Jun 12, 2020 9:25 pm)
Haste is the enemy of quality.
l00ey

Post by l00ey »

chrrris wrote:
Fri Jun 12, 2020 9:19 pm
l00ey wrote:
Fri Jun 12, 2020 8:11 pm
Most general builders will be perfectly happy to do a bit of plumbing - certainly enough to fix a leaky bit of soil pipe. And even if they weren't they'd have a plumber as a subbie they could call in to do it. Fixing a leaking waste pipe isn't difficult once you have access to the leaking section -- the content of the pipe is under virtually no pressure.
Hi chrrris, I'm frustrated as I am liable for damages to flat below, insurance advised old owners handiwork is classed as defects so won't pay out. Building owner won't let me rectify the problem, I can't afford to anyway, so I feel really vulnerable as landlord who owns flat below is away a lot and won't complain despite his tenants complaining to him.
It could get worse and turn really ugly and is scaring the wits out of me.
chrrris

Post by chrrris »

I'm no lawyer, but if you have a record of offering to rectify a problem, and a record of the building owner telling you he won't let you rectify the problem, it's out of your hands. I'd just write to the building owner and essentially say "I've told you I'm aware of a problem, and I've told you I want to have the problem rectified. If you're not prepared to let me go ahead with the work then it's your problem if sewage or waste water is leaking into the flat below". cc it to the tennants and landlord of the flat below and stop worrying about it. :thumbright:
These users thanked the author chrrris for the post (total 2):
l00ey (Fri Jun 12, 2020 9:43 pm) • fin (Fri Jun 12, 2020 9:51 pm)
Rating: 14.29%
Haste is the enemy of quality.
fin

Post by fin »

seems to me that you need to chill out a bit.

you arent allowed to get someone to fix it.

you cant contact the owner below.

tennants cant contact the owner to get them to do the work

you say that you cant afford it.

it really in all likelihood is very simple to repair it. whoever did it in the first place had to get the pipework in there so there has to be a way.

someone in all likelihood needs to spend some ££ to get this sorted out at some point. but seems like it isnt gonna happen imminently going from what you have told us.

myself and many other people in the building trade see people get unduly concerned about jobs which often are relatively easy to fix. hear words like ohh this is the house that jack built. (he musta been a really sh*t builder ) only things that would give me cause for concern is the likes of subsidance or other kinds of movement in buildings. plumbing and the like is often relatively simple to fix

and chriss above has just hit the nail on the head for me
l00ey (Fri Jun 12, 2020 9:53 pm)
l00ey

Post by l00ey »

chrrris wrote:
Fri Jun 12, 2020 9:42 pm
I'm no lawyer, but if you have a record of offering to rectify a problem, and a record of the building owner telling you he won't let you rectify the problem, it's out of your hands. I'd just write to the building owner and essentially say "I've told you I'm aware of a problem, and I've told you I want to have the problem rectified. If you're not prepared to let me go ahead with the work then it's your problem if sewage or waste water is leaking into the flat below". cc it to the tennants and landlord of the flat below and stop worrying about it. :thumbright:
chrrris wrote:
Fri Jun 12, 2020 9:42 pm
Hi chrrris

While your reply is good, I have one email to the building owner notifying of the defects, but they are so adamant that I cannot do anything, I feel stuck.
Even if in a miracle world they agreed, where would I get the money for such work?
I cannot contact the landlord, and tenant is moving out asap, now that corona isn't stopping house moves anymore.
I have a roof leak and they refuse to do anything about it, I said verbally to them "Don't be coming to me with liability if your roof caves in" however, again, as advised any defects caused by me or old owner is down to me to rectify.
It's like banging my head against a brick wall talking to the building owner.
l00ey

Post by l00ey »

fin wrote:
Fri Jun 12, 2020 9:50 pm
seems to me that you need to chill out a bit.

you arent allowed to get someone to fix it.

you cant contact the owner below.

tennants cant contact the owner to get them to do the work

you say that you cant afford it.

it really in all likelihood is very simple to repair it. whoever did it in the first place had to get the pipework in there so there has to be a way.

someone in all likelihood needs to spend some ££ to get this sorted out at some point. but seems like it isnt gonna happen imminently going from what you have told us.

myself and many other people in the building trade see people get unduly concerned about jobs which often are relatively easy to fix. hear words like ohh this is the house that jack built. (he musta been a really sh*t builder ) only things that would give me cause for concern is the likes of subsidance or other kinds of movement in buildings. plumbing and the like is often relatively simple to fix

and chriss above has just hit the nail on the head for me
Hi Fin
I saw chrrris's reply before yours, so I thought I would reply to both separately.
True, but the problem seems to be getting worse with the mould and damaged masonry could be an issue as the tenants say the leak has been going on since they moved in 7 years ago, it may have been going on since 1990 when the old owner got the flat, going by what my ex neighbours have said. The people who owned the flat before let the old owner hammer away above their heads and never complained.
So, the leak could have been going on since 1990 when old owner got flat.
The ex owner of the ground floor flat was part of the now defunct owners association (set up to report breaches) he advised me that in 1990 when the old owner was installing a velux window in the roof without authorisation, he tried to warn him of the breach, and the old owner told him to mind his own buisiness, so the owners association chose not to get involved, I suspect they were intimidated by my old owner, he said he was a fly-by-night.
Its the fact that the leak could have gone on since 1990 that worries me as masonry may have been damaged and contaminated. I say this because the old owner has done many other alterations and used what he had to hand, I mean he cut a roof truss 6 inches short to install a velux window, leaving a big gap. This is the type of man we are dealing within concern for safety.
fin

Post by fin »

to cover yourself id do as chriss advised and there seems to be not a lot else that you can do.

a while ago i was working on a victorian house. we dug for foundations and discovered that the drain leading away from the main soil pipe had never been pointed up. in those days it was all clay pipes in approx maybe 3 foot lengths. all pointed up. except this house they were all open. it was rather smelly haha

in all likelihood it probably hasnt been going on for 30 years though as it would have been noticed earlier
l00ey

Post by l00ey »

fin wrote:
Fri Jun 12, 2020 10:11 pm
to cover yourself id do as chriss advised and there seems to be not a lot else that you can do.

a while ago i was working on a victorian house. we dug for foundations and discovered that the drain leading away from the main soil pipe had never been pointed up. in those days it was all clay pipes in approx maybe 3 foot lengths. all pointed up. except this house they were all open. it was rather smelly haha

in all likelihood it probably hasnt been going on for 30 years though as it would have been noticed earlier
Hi Fin
I feel like I have covered myself by telling the building owner.
I cannot contact the landlord, and I have already spoken to the tenant but they don't care as they are now moving asap, I don't know what else to do to cover myself.
I strongly suspect it has been going on for over 30yrs cos the owner of the ground floor flat who was part of the owners association said he put the velux in in 1990, so would have done all the other alterations as well.
As the owners association didn't want to get involved, and were told to mind their own business by my old owner, I get the impression he was like a shady bully, as the owners association man said he was a fly by night.
The previous owners of the flat below were the type to ignore what the old owner did as they were old and probably intimidated by him, they must have heard all the hammering going on, they let my old owner repeatedly flood their bathroom. I flooded their bathroom once badly and they didn't even bother claiming on insurance, they had no relatives to leave the flat to, it was sold to Sally Army when they died.
In summary, ex owners of flat below ignored my old owners shenanigans, owners association (who were supposed to report unauthorised work) failed to do do, possibly because my old owner intimidated them. Flat sold, first tenant lasted 6 moths and moved out, second tenant also moved out after 6 months. Not this tenant is moving out, they only stayed because I think the boyfriend wanted to, but he recently left the woman and kids, and she hates it.
I fear that this flat is damaging the building as the roof leaks are making the top common area landing smelly, someone has trampled over the flat roof making it pond, it stinks of damp wood when it rains, but building owner repeatedly refuse to take action. There is also a smelly problem in the bedroom, coming from beneath the floor, musty smell, possibly from roof leak water tracking across. Its like a nightmare I keep waking up to, and I keep fearing homelessness due to liability.
fin

Post by fin »

do you own or rent your flat?
l00ey

Post by l00ey »

fin wrote:
Sat Jun 13, 2020 1:07 pm
do you own or rent your flat?
Own it on a Leaeshold basis with a mortgage.
fin

Post by fin »

the flat roof will be ponding because it is knackered. nowt to do with walking on it. they only have a relatively short lifespan unless its a modern system. the old felt roofing belongs in the past
l00ey (Sat Jun 13, 2020 1:15 pm)

Return to “Plumbing Forum”